HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:30 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
So I'm trying to decide what my next 3DHS plane will be. I've basically been flying RC for about 10 months now and unfortunately I wasted the first 8 of those months on other planes. About 2 months ago I bought the 48" Edge and I heard angels singing the first time I flew it. I'm now hooked and hooked BAD!

I just recently got a 42" Slick and I'm loving that one too. So I immediately set my eyes on the 51" Slick. Don't ask me how but I COMPLETELY missed the new 46" Yak announcement. I literally just saw this plane today!!

So my question is... for my next 3DHS plane, should I buy the 46" Yak or the 51" Slick. I'm trying to learn 3D and having a blast so far. The 51" Slick seems to be THE plane for best all around performance but I could be easily persuaded to go a different route if there is a good reason to do so!

Thoughts??
Do you have a good outdoor foamy? If not you owe it to yourself to get some foam, such as the new 38" EPP Slick.

Fly the edge till it dies and then put the guts in the Yak.
racerxky is online now Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:34 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxky View Post
Do you have a good outdoor foamy? If not you owe it to yourself to get some foam, such as the new 38" EPP Slick.

Fly the edge till it dies and then put the guts in the Yak.
I do not have an EPP foamy yet and I started down that path but have had conflicting advice. Some people say that they are great to learn 3D on and some say that what you learn on them doesn't necessarily translate back to balsa. So, I definitely want one but I can't decide if I need to get one to practice 3D with or if I need to learn 3D on my balsa's first and THEN get an EPP foamy to play with in my cul-de-sac.

I just need to find that dang proverbial money tree and then none of this prioritization stuff would matter.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:44 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
I do not have an EPP foamy yet and I started down that path but have had conflicting advice. Some people say that they are great to learn 3D on and some say that what you learn on them doesn't necessarily translate back to balsa. So, I definitely want one but I can't decide if I need to get one to practice 3D with or if I need to learn 3D on my balsa's first and THEN get an EPP foamy to play with in my cul-de-sac.

I just need to find that dang proverbial money tree and then none of this prioritization stuff would matter.

there's good advice and there's bad advice... the good advice is the part that anything that teaches thumb input in relation to the plane's attitude is a good thing.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:50 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,422 Posts
you could share batteries with the Yak and edge, but I think you should also look at the 38" EPP, no fear to bring that one down to inches off the ground, very fun to fly, even in wind.
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:05 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
there's good advice and there's bad advice... the good advice is the part that anything that teaches thumb input in relation to the plane's attitude is a good thing.
+1 - I've learned a ton about stick movements from my EPP plane and it really shows when flying the larger balsa planes.
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Nov 04, 2011, 03:12 PM
The loose nut behind the TX
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
So I'm trying to decide what my next 3DHS plane will be. I've basically been flying RC for about 10 months now and unfortunately I wasted the first 8 of those months on other planes. About 2 months ago I bought the 48" Edge and I heard angels singing the first time I flew it. I'm now hooked and hooked BAD!

I just recently got a 42" Slick and I'm loving that one too. So I immediately set my eyes on the 51" Slick. Don't ask me how but I COMPLETELY missed the new 46" Yak announcement. I literally just saw this plane today!!

So my question is... for my next 3DHS plane, should I buy the 46" Yak or the 51" Slick. I'm trying to learn 3D and having a blast so far. The 51" Slick seems to be THE plane for best all around performance but I could be easily persuaded to go a different route if there is a good reason to do so!

Thoughts??
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
As far as 46 Yak or 51 Slick the correct answer is "get both" , I haven't gotten my hands on a Yak yet but I do have my pre-order in (and setting it up for 4S to share batteries with the 51 Slick)....having flown the 51 as anyone else who has would tell you it's a blast (inverted tumbles are giggle inducing.)

I would also definitively invest in a good foamy, as KM said anything that teaches thumb input is a good thing and EPP being almost indestructible...almost makes it a good platform for trying new stuff, like the ever elusive rolling harrier.
JeffSchre is offline Find More Posts by JeffSchre
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:22 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
ONe other data point - I have several 4s batteries that I could use with the 51" Slick. Hmmmm...

Tough call. Maybe I should avoid the temptation of the 51" slick and get the EPP Edge.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:28 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,472 Posts
I think you'll learn a LOT with the EPP and then end up getting the 51 later anyway...
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I think you'll learn a LOT with the EPP and then end up getting the 51 later anyway...
Getting the 51 is given... it's just a matter of prioritization!
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:53 PM
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Getting the 51 is given... it's just a matter of prioritization!
Learning fast this one is...it's not if but WHEN
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:57 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
EPP Slick for 3D training down low. EPP up close will make you better on Orientation and an EPP Slick emulates Balsa better.
I'm getting one for camping next spring.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:58 PM
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
ONe other data point - I have several 4s batteries that I could use with the 51" Slick. Hmmmm...

Tough call. Maybe I should avoid the temptation of the 51" slick and get the EPP Edge.
The EPP Edge is fun too, I've only had mine for about a month, it's already helped me keep myself oriented while in KE and inverted....or at least it was until the motor decided it didn't want to spin anymore (waiting for it to come back from service from Aero-Model) it will fly again.

Anyway, don't want to clutter this thread with too much talk on the EPP, this is the Yak thread after all. You'll get this one too anyway....you know you will.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:03 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
What is the size of the spinner in the first picture of the red scheme on the 3dhs website? It looks pretty cool! This plane looks like it is going to make on my buy list. Soooo, what color should I get? I'm leaning towards blue.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:08 PM
Gladstone, MO
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
What is the size of the spinner in the first picture of the red scheme on the 3dhs website? It looks pretty cool! This plane looks like it is going to make on my buy list. Soooo, what color should I get? I'm leaning towards blue.
The suggested parts list says 40mm spinner so I'm guessing that's probably the same size.

That's the color I went with.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:22 PM
USA, NY, Patchogue
Joined Aug 2009
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
It looks like the 52mm size. It must be because the backplate is aluminum and i know on the 42mm size its plastic. It def looks bigger too.
steve400 is offline Find More Posts by steve400