HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
got to maiden my yak sunday. it was so windy I didn't even try to trim. I just flew it as is. had to do elevator landings just to even think about getting her down. eventho I was crazy winds(I shouldn't have flown, especially a maiden) I could tell im gonna like the yak. much different then my buck 50 edge. rolls really nice. cant wait till I get in the air again, hopefully tomorrow.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
So I have been running this on 3s and an Omega 130/14x7apc and am dissapointed in the performance, the plane really wants a bit more speed, I want to keep it on 3s (I have more 3s than 4s packs) so what is a better motor/prop combo for this guy? Also the balsa SFG suck on this, who was it that was making lexan ones?
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:20 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
The Omega is 870Kv.

Motrolfly 2815-950Kv on a Xoar 13x6.5. That will speed things up.

Vintauri was making SFG's, I was just told last night, no longer.

Bivens might make you a set..

Here's the Link back to the Shortened SFG's that AJ drew up way back. What I am running in Lexan.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1431
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:27 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
I have not been able to get new ones cut in a while. I do have more material but the CNC machine has been unavailable. I'm working on some laser cutters to see if it's cost effective to get some cut that way.

But for right now I have none to send out.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,510 Posts
No ability to cut SFG's like vin...worry.

For more speed....Warren is correct on the motrolfly 950kv...
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
I have a friend that has a sweet shop and all the CNC goodies, I might ask him to make something, or il just cut it with a bandsaw...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
Would you happen to have a file I could send to my friend who has a CNC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
I have not been able to get new ones cut in a while. I do have more material but the CNC machine has been unavailable. I'm working on some laser cutters to see if it's cost effective to get some cut that way.

But for right now I have none to send out.

Steve
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
So I have been running this on 3s and an Omega 130/14x7apc and am dissapointed in the performance, the plane really wants a bit more speed, I want to keep it on 3s (I have more 3s than 4s packs) so what is a better motor/prop combo for this guy? Also the balsa SFG suck on this, who was it that was making lexan ones?
and why dont you try 13x7-8-9? should pull the same amps as 14x7... and as this plane is only 46", even 13" should give enough disc for nice 3d...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Would you happen to have a file I could send to my friend who has a CNC?
this is from Andrew Jesky. i would be interested in a set also if thats possible.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1431
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
I purchased some .060 lexan sheet and I'm going to see if I can cut them with a bandsaw and sand smooth. I will see if I can get a set cnc'd but he lives in south Dakota and is busy...http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79776
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:12 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Flew the Yak for 3 tonight. 36F and no wind. Flew from 5:50p until 6:30pm when it was getting low light enough to stop... Lost orientation on the second flight for a bit diving out of a maneuver and flailing about until I reorientated. Let it get a little too far away on that one and it recovered pointing away instead of toward me so had to make some test movements to see which way it was heading. Was a little hazy dark for that. Brought it back though. Two years ago I would have piled that in.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Flew the Yak for 3 tonight. 36F and no wind. Flew from 5:50p until 6:30pm when it was getting low light enough to stop... Lost orientation on the second flight for a bit diving out of a maneuver and flailing about until I reorientated. Let it get a little too far away on that one and it recovered pointing away instead of toward me so had to make some test movements to see which way it was heading. Was a little hazy dark for that. Brought it back though. Two years ago I would have piled that in.
ha! i lost orientation this evening also. around 6:00 or so. gotta love those test movements. kinda get that feeling in my throat, like oh crap.

funny eventho i knew pretty much which direction the plane was heading before i lost heading and which way i was moving the Tx sticks your eyes are still confused. I too had mine alil farther away than i should have had it that time of the evening. everything on the plane just kinda looks black. almost like your trying to fly the mark of a pencil on a piece of paper hundreds of feet away.

glad you didnt loose your plane
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:19 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,902 Posts
I'm getting ready to build mine, does this plane need the long servo arms? I'm guessing it may only need it on the elevator.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
It only needs the phenolic arm for the elevator. I tried to simply shorten the control horn in the elevator and I still only got about 35* of throw so I had to use the phenolic.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:47 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
It only needs the phenolic arm for the elevator. I tried to simply shorten the control horn in the elevator and I still only got about 35* of throw so I had to use the phenolic.
I tried the same thing ended up using the phenolic on it