Old May 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhoke08 View Post
My blue one has a tendency to attemp suicide once in a while
In shame for not flying as well as a red one???

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 03, 2012, 01:50 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
Are most guys running 3S 2200 in this one instead of 4S 2200?
I would say that 3S 2200 is floatier and is nicer is a harrier. But you will need the pack up by the firewall which makes it difficult to strap down.

4S 2200 has crazy power and gives the airplane more mass for tumbles. The battery will be further back in the tray which is easier to get a strap around. Harrier performance will be compromised vs. 3S setup.

I run 4S, I have an Edge for harriers.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 06:58 AM
Climate Refugee
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
958 Posts
+1 on the 4s. I have some nanotech 1800's that are lighter and are a good match, and some valuehobby 2200's that are better for wind and tumbles. Tried 3s and a13 x 6.5, the 4s felt better on this plane. You can fly it at small fields in tight, or blast around with big smooth aerobatics at larger fields. Need the sfg's on for harriers or it rocks a lot.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old May 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,635 Posts
My 3S 2200 30C's are in the middle of the tray with Pull Pull HS-65 MG's all the way around. ZTW 50A and a Motrolfly 2815-950 up front. Plenty of speed.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old May 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
My 3S 2200 30C's are in the middle of the tray with Pull Pull HS-65 MG's all the way around. ZTW 50A and a Motrolfly 2815-950 up front. Plenty of speed.
Wow! Ill bet!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 03, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
Any word on when a 50cc version will be available?
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old May 03, 2012, 12:25 PM
Climate Refugee
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
958 Posts
hot glue SFG's

I have hot-glued my sfg's on, it worked very well. Just flew 3 flights, the performance was drastically better due to the stiffness, I couldn't get enough squeeze with the nylon bolts to really lock em down before. I tried lexan - it was too wimpy. High alpha KE incredible.Then ... on the last flight - thinking I was Joe Smith, I went from low harrier to slow cartwheel - a few blue flashes of parts - some flying clods of dirt. The bottom sfg's flicked off and a wheel pant. The hot glue fillet can be peeled off cleanly - will try a repair with popsticle sticks for the anchors, and more hot glue. A better redesign would be a one piece sfg bolted on to the last rib directly, then put on a wing tip, bolt thru. Carbon bling option.
Old May 03, 2012, 02:23 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
I have hot-glued my sfg's on, it worked very well. Just flew 3 flights, the performance was drastically better due to the stiffness, I couldn't get enough squeeze with the nylon bolts to really lock em down before. I tried lexan - it was too wimpy. High alpha KE incredible.Then ... on the last flight - thinking I was Joe Smith, I went from low harrier to slow cartwheel - a few blue flashes of parts - some flying clods of dirt. The bottom sfg's flicked off and a wheel pant. The hot glue fillet can be peeled off cleanly - will try a repair with popsticle sticks for the anchors, and more hot glue. A better redesign would be a one piece sfg bolted on to the last rib directly, then put on a wing tip, bolt thru. Carbon bling option.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old May 03, 2012, 02:37 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Franklin delano roosevelt!!! What?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 03, 2012, 03:24 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
Better the SFG's shear off, then rip off an entire wingtip and break ribs...

I am running the Lexan "VinFin" and it is quite sturdy. Flexes just enough to prevent damage, absorbs crosswind landing bottom scrapes, but is plenty stiff for KE flight.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old May 03, 2012, 07:29 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,706 Posts
I found a shop down the street that wil laser cut plastic, can we get the plans for the "VinFins"? I'll have to find a lexan source but I want to try making a set.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 08:24 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxky View Post
I found a shop down the street that wil laser cut plastic, can we get the plans for the "VinFins"? I'll have to find a lexan source but I want to try making a set.
McMaster.com

EDIT: How many people would be interested in the lexan SFG's? I have these on my Yak. We have a laser machine at work. But it's gonna take some coin to get it programmed and run.

If anybody needs a set of stock SFG's, Im me.

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Last edited by rdcskkrose; May 04, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:56 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
The plans are earlier in this thread. AJ put up a PDF i think it was that had the lower profile fins. I been flying the VinFins for a while now and get quite a few very positive comments about it.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old May 04, 2012, 09:20 AM
Climate Refugee
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
958 Posts
hot glue is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Better the SFG's shear off, then rip off an entire wingtip and break ribs...

I am running the Lexan "VinFin" and it is quite sturdy. Flexes just enough to prevent damage, absorbs crosswind landing bottom scrapes, but is plenty stiff for KE flight.
More hot glue and some t-pins and it is all ready to go again!!! Planes with a few scars always fly better.