SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 08, 2012, 05:07 PM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Would you guys say this plane as a next plane or the 51 slick coming from a 42 slick?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:47 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
Would you guys say this plane as a next plane or the 51 slick coming from a 42 slick?
I own the yak but have not flown it yet so I can not comment on that, but if you have the cash go for the 51'' slick it flies great.
3Daddict is online now Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:53 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
It only depends on whether you want 3s power or jump to 4s power like the 51 slick.

I personally prefer 3s power in my 46 to 48 inch planes then 2 of those packs for 6s power in my 57 to 59 inch planes. I won't have any need for 4s power until the byper comes out...then I'll probably have to also get a 51 slick...I've never owned one...but they DO fly GREAT!!!

It also depends on what you'd like to learn and how fast...Personally...I'd put the 48-epp extra in as the TOP choice for learning 3D after coming from a 42 slick.....this yak is good with the sfg's and is the smoothest and straightest rolling planes I've flown in this size range...but it is fragile compared to the EPP.....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:12 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Got three flights in on the repaired Yak. The Motrolfly 2815-950 definitely has damaged front bearings. Stuck a 13x8 prop on for a test flight. Motor was whining and grinding a little once and awhile, especially early on. At 40 the batts are noticeably softer than at 55-60.

Had the sun right in my face on this flight, stayed above that and at a safe level if the motor locked up on me. Think I like the 13x6.5 better.


First Flight vid:


3DHS 46 AJ YAK 55 (5 min 6 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
It only depends on whether you want 3s power or jump to 4s power like the 51 slick.

I personally prefer 3s power in my 46 to 48 inch planes then 2 of those packs for 6s power in my 57 to 59 inch planes. I won't have any need for 4s power until the byper comes out...then I'll probably have to also get a 51 slick...I've never owned one...but they DO fly GREAT!!!

It also depends on what you'd like to learn and how fast...Personally...I'd put the 48-epp extra in as the TOP choice for learning 3D after coming from a 42 slick.....this yak is good with the sfg's and is the smoothest and straightest rolling planes I've flown in this size range...but it is fragile compared to the EPP.....
I have the extra but my dad doesent let me bring it to my mom's and i live at my moms plus my dad is crazy, so i got the 42" slick for at my moms and i almost got the yak but i just the the slick i think ill just get the 51. When i get good and i am flying low and doing crazy stuff and i completly crash and total the 42 slick then i will probaly get the yak to replace it. I dont plan on crashing it soon because i am going to fly high with it till i get comfortable.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:27 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Flight 2. Dern hat cam a tad too high on this one. Cut off the 3rd rotation of my funnel at the end...

Just Chillin to a smooth tune and enjoying an awesome sky at sunset!


http://vimeo.com/34764669
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:10 PM
MN WATTS Master
Vintauri's Avatar
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,386 Posts
52 degrees and a nice south west breeze at 6mph after work. Wait a minute.... this is January in Minnesota!?!?!?!?

Luckily I got a couple packs charged and made it to the field for 2 quick flights just before sundown.

Got to love this weather but I fear we're going to pay for it sooner or later.

Steve
www.vintauri.com
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:18 PM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
52 degrees and a nice south west breeze at 6mph after work. Wait a minute.... this is January in Minnesota!?!?!?!?

Luckily I got a couple packs charged and made it to the field for 2 quick flights just before sundown.

Got to love this weather but I fear we're going to pay for it sooner or later.

Steve
www.vintauri.com
I think its called global warming, its setting record tempetures for january.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
I think its called global warming, its setting record tempetures for january.
Only 11 months and a few days to go until the end of the world....Dec 21st, 2012...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:57 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
52 degrees and a nice south west breeze at 6mph after work. Wait a minute.... this is January in Minnesota!?!?!?!?

Luckily I got a couple packs charged and made it to the field for 2 quick flights just before sundown.

Got to love this weather but I fear we're going to pay for it sooner or later.

Steve
www.vintauri.com
nice!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:15 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
I think its called global warming, its setting record tempetures for january.
It was 59 in 1950 on this date. We're only gettng to 46 today.

One day, or a few weeks or a month of above normal temps or below normal temps does not make it global warming or an ice age.

We have lots of hurricanes for a few years, then we don't for a few years. Seen it over and over.

We've got for now, a mild West-East Jetstream flow with no real digs in the atmosphere. Supposed to be gettng altered later this week and toward the end of the month. I hope not.

I believe we had this in 2007 -2009. I was heading to Florida and there was a record Tornado Outbreak in the South. We got caught in it at SC at night. Then my co-worker reminded me last week, he started work in 2008 and we had a "Big Snow" in March.


In the meantime, enjoy the highly flyable warming weather!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:30 AM
Fly low or fly home.
skarface's Avatar
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Only 11 months and a few days to go until the end of the world....Dec 21st, 2012...

SteveT
haha ehhh i dont know if i belive that though. I heard one time that they found a calender and the year to like 4000 something on the calenders but they couldent read the days and months
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
Let the hating begin
evalith8's Avatar
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
873 Posts
Cansomebody measure the right thrust on the motor box?I got mine back together after the midair but the motor seems to have a bit to much right thrust.I positioned the cowl in line with the motor & visually the cowl is futher to the right.
Thanks
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:00 AM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
Would you guys say this plane as a next plane or the 51 slick coming from a 42 slick?
well....if you like the 42 Slick, the 51 flies more like the 42. Consider the 48 Edge as well.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
It was 59 in 1950 on this date. We're only gettng to 46 today.

One day, or a few weeks or a month of above normal temps or below normal temps does not make it global warming or an ice age.

We have lots of hurricanes for a few years, then we don't for a few years. Seen it over and over.

We've got for now, a mild West-East Jetstream flow with no real digs in the atmosphere. Supposed to be gettng altered later this week and toward the end of the month. I hope not.

I believe we had this in 2007 -2009. I was heading to Florida and there was a record Tornado Outbreak in the South. We got caught in it at SC at night. Then my co-worker reminded me last week, he started work in 2008 and we had a "Big Snow" in March.


In the meantime, enjoy the highly flyable warming weather!
I would have to agree, I think global warming is not true at all and just used to make money.
3Daddict is online now Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion yak 55 M where sells this one ???? maikrotex 3D / Fun Fly Fuel Planes 1 Nov 07, 2010 10:23 AM
Found z RC4RS Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 15, 2010 12:09 PM
Build Log Got parts from Hobby Lobby Yak 55, lets build a full fuse Yak 55 Lampatex Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 16 Jun 13, 2007 11:50 AM