HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:50 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
isaiah, why with 2820 and not the 2815? i loved the 2815 on mine, plus its more or less the same weight as the omega
Yes I have the 2815 and a 14 x 7 and 4s on my brand X 48" that is a bit heavier than this and it rocks! Surely not the power MONSTER as this but I could not believe you would need more than what I have.

Just a thought...

Oops, just remembered that my 2815 is a custom wind of 720 KV I think....
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:16 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
isaiah, why with 2820 and not the 2815? i loved the 2815 on mine, plus its more or less the same weight as the omega
I don't know...Ken suggested it and I bought it . pretty much the story of my life!

I just came back from four more flights on the Yak in dead calm.....wow! I really love it now, got my rudder trim figured out. hovers and torque rolls are super easy and fun, and it is a rolling harrier machine. the motor has some serious balls...wot runs are vicious and vertical at 3/4 is no problem. upline snaps are also no problem. she's a hot rod for sure .
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:46 AM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,731 Posts
Happy New Year everyone!

I got to maiden my Yak yesterday. Setup: Omega 130, ZTW 60A on 4S 2200mah 30C Flightmax packs turning a Xoar 12x7. Plenty of power, nice and floaty.

I had the SFG's on for the first 4 flights. The first two flights I was working on the CG. I moved the battery all over the place. One fantastic quality this airplane has is it's tolerance of less than perfect CG. It behaves like a MUCH larger airplane, something I have not seen in this size. CG changes did not seen to significantly affect coupling. Frankly thats weird, because airplane dont behave that way but awesome, because mixing is easy. The airplane exhibited no detectable roll coupling. Some Rudder -> Elevator mix was needed. It was pulling to the canopy in KE. It's not symmetrical, which is typical due to P-factor. Right rudder needed 7% mix and left rudder something like 1%-2%. Given how small the left rudder mix is you really can't ask for a more coupling free airplane than that.

My initial reaction: Ho-lee-sheet, This thing is awesome! It rolls like no other airplane I have flown. A pure axial roll. Rolling circles are just plain fun. With the SFG's on I was doing KE loops. Some airplanes need a non-linear KE mix and do scary stuff at full rudder deflection. This thing has very linear response to rudder and my mix made the airplane fly straight and true through the KE loop. That inspires a lot of confidence.

You shrow the sticks in the corners and it will wad up and flip over the wing really well. Pop Tops, Waterfalls, KE Spins, all good maneuvers in this airplane. And then you can rurn around and fly some IMAC maneuvers just as well. There is a lot of hype around 'Hybrid' airplanes and if thats your bag (and its my bag) then you should put this airplane on your list.

With the SFG's off it's more of a handfull in high alpha. There is some wing rock. Maybe when I get the CG nailed down this will improve. Battery position for me is centered right over the landing gear block. Thats a great position to distribute load on landing and there is lots of access to get a strap over the pack.

If I have a criticism it's the SFG attachment mechanism. The integrated SFG's are cool and the attachment with nylon bolts is functional. It's just too hard to remove them at the end of the day. I left them on and broke one while loading the wings into the car. I'll be looking into some kind of mod with magnets.

Andrew and Ben, you guys knocked this one out of the park. I am seriously impressed. I can't wait till larger sizes show up. I can see this be becoming a great IMAC airplane in 100cc size.

Rock On in 2012!
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:43 AM
Brighton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
899 Posts
I'm done , this lil guy is cool , need batteries still, will get some pics
crazychris is offline Find More Posts by crazychris
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I don't know...Ken suggested it and I bought it . pretty much the story of my life!

I just came back from four more flights on the Yak in dead calm.....wow! I really love it now, got my rudder trim figured out. hovers and torque rolls are super easy and fun, and it is a rolling harrier machine. the motor has some serious balls...wot runs are vicious and vertical at 3/4 is no problem. upline snaps are also no problem. she's a hot rod for sure .
FDB8-58CD-127A-E7B6

Video
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:53 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,731 Posts
Flew today and it was blowing 15 with gusts to ~25. Insane weather for an airplane this small. SFG's were off. The Yak handles the wind really well. I mean, its a small airplane and any small airplane is a handfull in those conditions. The yak doesn't mind being tossed around and the low coupling means that lots of rudder for wind correction doesn't make the airplane do scary things.

One thing others noticed is that it holds energy through tumbles very well. So you can slow up the entry speed and do slower more graceful moves. I really like this style of flying, it looks more full scale.

SFG's on vs off:
On: Kills all wing rock in high alpha (keep in mind my setup is a heavier 4S setup!). Plane feels locked-in in all attitudes, keeps going where you point it.
Off: Faster snaps. High alpha takes more lively fingers on the sticks input. Slightly less energy loss in tumbles.

The Yak 55's secret weapon? The Lomcevak.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
I just got mine back together from the midair with the P-40 a few weeks back.The cowl & landing gear will be in tomorrow.I robbed the servos,rx & esc for an EF 48 540 I put together so I need to spend some money.Im thinking about getting a cheaper esc this time,has an airboss 45 eliet last time but looking to save a few bucks.Any suggestions on a cheaper esc.My buddy says I shouls get a Turnigy trust for about 30.00 shipped.I had an Exceed from hobby partz that was bad out the box so Im reluctant to get another one of those,although my buddy has been using one for a year now with no problems.I could get 2 hs65mgs for the difference in the price of the airboss
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:25 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
Get a ZTW from Quantum Hobby, great ESC and a good price.
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,797 Posts
http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW_50A_...ztw50asbec.htm
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:31 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Get a ZTW from Quantum Hobby, great ESC and a good price.
nicely priced
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:34 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
And great service too.
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:00 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
I just pulled the trigger and bought this airplane, and can't wait to get it going!
crazyj is online now Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:22 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Anyone run a 3S 3300 in theirs? Too big?
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:49 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
Anyone run a 3S 3300 in theirs? Too big?
Might be getting a bit heavy, and probably not going to 3D very well, but if just flying for sport, and you can get it to balance, why not...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:50 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
ordered a ztw 60 amp esc,now all I need is an rx & some servos since I robbed everything for the 48 edge