HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2003, 09:19 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Opus DS worth the money?

RC-Direct is selling the DS version for $650. They are out of stock on the regular Opus which sells for $450. I don't mind paying extra if it's worth it though. The guy on the phone told me it was all carbon. Is this true?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:44 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,199 Posts
Are ya gonna DS it? If ya are then it's worth it. By the way I think slopeflyer.com has the regular Opus kits in stock(if not the DS version is only $590). The regular Opus is plenty strong for regular slope work and will handle some DSing. It's not strong enough for the really high speed DSing though. It's quite solid though up to around 140mph. If you plan on DSing and want it to hang together at really high speeds then the DS version is the way to go.

TFLG (regular Opus driver)
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Jul 10, 2003 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:11 AM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
My dilemma is that I don't see myself doing 140 anytime soon. It's difficult to get over 100mph on my local slope, but there are some other slopes nearby where guys are really hauling a$$ like Vincent and Parker.

The standard version will handle 95% of my flying need/skills but I'm tempted to get the DS version just because it's in stock at rc-direct. I'm gonna contanct slopeflyer.com and and get some more info.

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:18 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,304 Posts
FWIW, I saw Bruce Bedoe DS his stock Opus at Vincent and do 167mph without a problem (this was the same day that Kyle and Doug broke the DS record). This perplexed me a bit, as I had lost my Opus the week before, in part due to some violent whole-wing flutter at around 150mph.

This could have been due to excess ballast...I was carrying over 1 pound, whereas Bruce only had about 9oz (the weight of the ballast that fits in the wing tube). Or, it could have been that it was more turbulant on that day, or that my control setup wasn't quite as stiff as it could be, or all three factors.

Either way, the stock Opus is still pretty strong.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:24 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I've got the DS version, but only because I got such a great deal, I couldn't pass it up. The wings and v-tail are indeed all carbon, and beautifully molded. The fuselage appears to be fiberglass and carbon - regardless, it's really strong. It's also heavy, which means you need some lift to get it going.

It's very fast, retains energy, handles turbulence well, and generally flies like it's on rails. It slows down well and maintains controlability right up to the stall. I've heard that the regular Opus has a nicer feel to it, but I have not had the chance to fly one.

If I was looking to buy another right now, I would probably go with the regular version and spend the extra $200.00 on some good digital servos. If you're going to spend $650.00 on the DS version, you might want also take a look at the Miraj ($650 for the ARF) or an Acacia II(check out the consignment models at www.f3x.com). I love mine, but for $650.00 I'd be thinking pretty hard about stepping up to the next level.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:44 AM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
I emailed Greg at slopeflyer.com and he said the DS version is not Carbon. In fact the only difference is that the wing has a heavier layer of fiberglass making it stronger.

Fok makes a really good point. At $650, I'm close to the price of some f3f planes. For a couple hundred dollars more, I might as well get an acacia II. Next thing you know, I'm in the hole over a grand with electronics etc.. This hobby is almost as expensive as racing rc cars.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:38 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheTick
Next thing you know, I'm in the hole over a grand with electronics etc.. This hobby is almost as expensive as racing rc cars.
Not if you fly foamies!

(Don't even bother giving me the lecture. I just couldn't resist! A little teasing between friends, mkay?)
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:19 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,304 Posts
I'm still confused about the DS vs non DS version. There definitely exists a carbon version in addition to this heavier layup glass DS version.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:45 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
bjaffee - I bought mine about a year and a half ago. At the time, I was told it was one of a handful of carbon winged Opus' in the U.S.. I always assumed it was an Opus W DS, but it sounds like it's a different plane altogether.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:51 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,304 Posts
It's definitely an Opus, I'm sure. I've seen pictures of the carbon winged versions. It's just that for some reason the guy that makes them doesn't seem to be doing the carbon version anymore.

BTW, concerning spending $750 for an Opus DS vs an Acacia 2: keep in mind that you probably would not be able to DS the Acacia 2 nearly as aggessively as the Opus DS. It's not really a good comparison if DS is what you are buying the plane for. An Acacia DS costs over $1000.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 07:37 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
I'll probably stop by rc-direct next week and see if I can take a look at their Opus DS. Is there anyway I can tell if it is a carbon wing or not?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2003, 07:49 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,304 Posts
Hmm...only way I can think of is to move one of the control surfaces and see if you can see carbon either inside the control surface or in the wing. On the older Opus they did not fill in the side edges of the flaps or ailerons, so you could try looking there too (if they still arent filled).

Normally I'd say to just look in the servo bays, but the normal Opus has carbon reinforcement there already anyway, so you wouldn't be able to tell from that.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 08:36 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Great advice bjaffee. So should look for a blackish layer right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2003, 08:57 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,304 Posts
Yeah, it should be pretty obvious. Oh, the newer Opus has the flap linkage on the top of the wing, and there's a little cutout for the linkage on the sub trailing edge of the wing for it (it gets covered with a little fairing). I'm guessing you could look under there and be able to tell too.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:00 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I'll probably go by there on Monday. I'll let you know what I find out.
RCG Plus Member