SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtr1954 View Post
I always thought that this forum was here to not only exspress opinions but to discuss problems we all are having not only with equipment but FW & SW. If we think it has a bearing on our problems then by all means spit it out on here & let's sort it out! Simply because we don't happen to agree with our Lord & Master in Canada does NOT mean we are the incorrect ones! Our opinions count as much as anyone's...We may not always be right but our right to exspress these opinions are as sacred as the wrong opinions are....JJ....
As far as I can tell, your "Lord & Master in Canada" only expresses his own opinion. Or does this sacred right only apply to you. I love when people post crap like this as an excuse to attack people. Your post had absolutly no value jj
GhostRyder is offline Find More Posts by GhostRyder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
Joined Nov 2002
29 Posts
Its hard to see in the pictures, but I think it looks like your using " L " props on all 8 motors... if this is the case then thats the problem... for each arm you should have a " standard " prop and a " L " prop... and the motors will also be going in different directions... for example... all four arms TOP motors with " Standard " props... all four arms BOTTOM motors with " L " props... Again, the motors from top to bottom will be spinning oppisite of each other....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangojango View Post
Heres some pics. excuse the pipe lagging on the skids.... Part of my learning kit.
The total weight on precise scales that you see is
1728g ( including battery)

Flies ok at this weight.

I add a 280g camera to this ( total weight 2008g). I just zip tie it on to keep weight down. Barely gets 10cm off the ground.....

I have to say I have also found quite poor duration on the batteries. Have brand new Overlander 3700mah 60c extreme pro's . Also have tried a zippy 5000mah 30c series. Without anything other than battery as payload, I am averaging 5 minutes of flight before I start to seriously loose power and start to hover close to the ground so I just shut off the throttle at this stage.

Does anyone spot any stupid mistakes with the props, or is there another answer to this lack of power.
thanks
Dixter is offline Find More Posts by Dixter
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
USA, TX, Kilgore
Joined Apr 2010
601 Posts
Rebuttal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
As far as I can tell, your "Lord & Master in Canada" only expresses his own opinion. Or does this sacred right only apply to you. I love when people post crap like this as an excuse to attack people. Your post had absolutly no value jj
He has attacked me more than once because He dis-agreed with what I had to say. He has the right but his is Not the last word! And if you think that he doesn't have a soft spot for China you better re-think! Your CRAP has absolutely NO value other than doing the same thing you are accusing me of...JJ......
JJtr1954 is offline Find More Posts by JJtr1954
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
---Deleted---
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Feb 10, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:06 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,364 Posts
well said 60something. Great idea to post your machine/firmware/radio/rx and other pertinent details. I had no idea that the fly-aways were happening on A9 radios. I'm flying a JR9303 2.4, and on firmware 1.31 it's been rock solid. My only problems have been due to pilot error.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
---Deleted---
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Dec 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
well said 60something. Great idea to post your machine/firmware/radio/rx and other pertinent details. I had no idea that the fly-aways were happening on A9 radios. I'm flying a JR9303 2.4, and on firmware 1.31 it's been rock solid. My only problems have been due to pilot error.
No real data on the A9s - just *seems* to be the case. My point is that there are a lot of compounding situations that can result in a crash with these. There are as many as 27*(more if you add in the firmware) semi-dependent systems in play at once controlling or influencing the flight of the quad. Any one of them misbehaving can bring the quad down. Some are simple to rule in or out in a given crash, some are not.

*transmitter
receiver
4-8 ESC
BEC
4-8 motors
AHRS
FC
Compass
GPS
1-3 camera servos
Pilot light
60Something is offline Find More Posts by 60Something
Last edited by 60Something; Oct 30, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
NoLgs2StngArmsBigHeart!
USA, TX, Kilgore
Joined Apr 2010
601 Posts
I'll keep my opinions to myself "Z"....JJ
JJtr1954 is offline Find More Posts by JJtr1954
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixter View Post
Its hard to see in the pictures, but I think it looks like your using " L " props on all 8 motors... if this is the case then thats the problem... for each arm you should have a " standard " prop and a " L " prop... and the motors will also be going in different directions... for example... all four arms TOP motors with " Standard " props... all four arms BOTTOM motors with " L " props... Again, the motors from top to bottom will be spinning oppisite of each other....
Thanks for the reply Dixter.

The props are correct though. I have CW and CCW Graupners on each correct motor spinning correctly. Just can't figure out what the problem is. It flies well and levels well, so all the props are not slipping on the shafts either. And the set up callibration in aircraft centre is fine. Shows good calibration of throttle.

thanks
jangojango is offline Find More Posts by jangojango
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Something View Post
For those with serious interest in quad fpv, I would spend some time with this guy from Helifreak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rmkoKGtIpE

User name is Juz70 and he's a park ranger in Aus. He details his youtubes with equipment lists and is quite active on HF in the AP threads. You could duplicate what he does with XA frames easily enough. Gonna have to have good flying skills to keep up tho...

Which brings me to a bit of a rant. Reading through the posts, I get the impression that many (most?) of you can't fly the quad competently in NOR mode. Many of the circumstances being reported appear to involve conditions where the quad is overwhelmed in ATT mode, fails or flounders, and crashes. When the AHRS is overwhelmed it may go into error status. When that happens, it is no longer controlling the quad. When you're up and away and losing it in ATT, its frequently because you've flown it into conditions the AHRS can't handle. The appropriate recovery is switch to NOR and fly it home, but to do that, you need the flight skills equivalent to flying a fixed pitched heli.
This is not making an excuse for problems that may or may not exist with firmware or hardware, but both of those are only part of the equation. Its not reasonable to simply blame XA every time your bird crashes. There are MANY interacting factors at play in one of these and solving the problems may not be simple, and may not be obvious, and may not necessarily be the fault of XA's hardware or software. 2.4g radio systems are NOT interference proof, NOT 100% reliable, NOT compatible with all rf and packet code environments. This is one of the reasons why we ask you to post your equipment list (make up a notepad list somwhere so you can just cut and paste in a post, so we know what you're using). As an example - the flyaways seem to be more common in quads with Aurora radios (thoroughly unscientific poll...), so the question immediately comes up - is there an issue with the radio in this machine environment? Who knows? Similarly when someone reports a quad control failure at an rc club field, the first thing the goes through my mind is rf interference. DON'T assume that cross brand 2.4g radios are mutually isolated to fly together in an r/c field setting. That may be true only some of the time. It only takes one time when its not true to bring you down.

One of the reasons you don't see XA in the forum much is there is little they can work with here. Too many complaints, too little useful information for them to deal with it. You can bet they read through them looking for common threads, but they have no idea what your setup looks like, what the actual problem was, or whether they have been able to reproduce it. Their experience with the gear might not be at all the same as what is being reported here, so what is their fault, and what is yours?. Some things we know they need to fix. But there's likely a bunch of things some of you guys need to fix too... /rant.
amazing FPV video. Now thats is skilled flying !!!
jangojango is offline Find More Posts by jangojango
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:55 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Dec 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangojango View Post
amazing FPV video. Now thats is skilled flying !!!

I don't know how he finds his way back to where he is. Not that would ever be a problem for me - mine wouldn't be coming back...
60Something is offline Find More Posts by 60Something
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
What FW are you using? Maybe its not the Compass, GPS or FC or AHRS, but the latest FW.

I have always thought the problem of doing its own thing was caused by the Compass/GPS but maybe it is the FC / AHRS and the latest FW.

By the way, why is XAircraft not commenting on these issues and trying to resolve?

Rob
I am using firmware 1.33, no GPS , no compass
benecopter is offline Find More Posts by benecopter
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
@60Something

... As an example - the flyaways seem to be more common in quads with Aurora radios (thoroughly unscientific poll...), so the question immediately comes up - is there an issue with the radio in this machine environment?...

Yes, his is exactly the reason why we are posting these issues here, hoping to come to a conclusion (and hoping that XA is also reading these lines).

Anyone else with another radio brand who had these experience?

Aurora9/RX7 , no GPS, no Compass
benecopter is offline Find More Posts by benecopter
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Well I've had several issues with mine but never flown up and away like some here have
I use a Futaba 2.4 T8FG
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
---Deleted---