Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Any tips on some better props for the X650?

My little Locktite oops earlier must have cracked one of the props that stayed on.lol...

It split at the hub and ejected.
It didn't fly well on three.lol....

What are the best replacement/upgrade props?

McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Do you mean arms (not props/blades)

Looks like you've got the carbon fibre, you'd be far better off with the glass fibre, same with the legs, in fact make sure it's all fibreglass (OK not the base plates) but arms and legs definately
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
No...I mean props.

What is the best I can get and where?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:39 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Use the APC 12x3.8, they are ideal replacements and won't ever crack unless you hit something. Get them from apcprop.com or radicalrc.com
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Use the APC 12x3.8, they are ideal replacements and won't ever crack unless you hit something.
Where?

I'm very new to this and have no idea who sells stuff.lol...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
Updated post with where, you replied too fast.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
So I want to forget about the GPS/compass but don't want to throw my money down the drain....
I'm going to make a tricopter out of it if possible ?, I would like to get rid of the 4in1 ESC and replace with 3 x ESC and 3 motors capable of strong lift/flight
It's not going to lift tons of weight, just a GoPro and 5/6000mah battery

The question is what motor,prop and esc combination on a tricopter will give me around 15 minutes and also cope with fair winds in flight i.e. not be just able to "lift" the weight but fly well with it ?

If it helps...

The arms will be about 10cm longer than standard X650 for smoother reactions, landing gear will be very short, almost a belly lander and it'll also be equipped with FPV gear
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:04 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
The XA electronics won't run a tricopter setup as it won't control a tail servo. You could do a Y4 however.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
Incurable heli addict
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Updated post with where, you replied too fast.
Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
Hi Jingchen
or if anybody else would know setting up a Y-6 I have the motor routing but do you choose the + or x mode or does it matter I would think it would but not for sure any input would be appreciated.

Michael64
Normally, The more powerful the copter is, the smaller the PID numbers are.
For example, +style quad has only one motor for pitch back(the front motor), but x style has two motors for pitch back(front two motors). So the PID numbers of x style for pitch are smaller than +style.
If you have a Y6 that using x650 stock motors and props, it's absolutely powerful than a quad because Y6 has two more motors. So you can use the X style quad settings for first test, then turn the numbers a little down for second test. tuning PID need some experience, some one has post this thread, it's useful: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post17169869
It's no difficult to make a motor mixer according to the mixer rules. but need more patience in tuning PID parameters.
For myself, I will tune the D first. Zero or set P&I to a very small value like 0.01, then tune the D value. with proper D, the copter will refuse you to make pitch&roll movements on the frame(by hand). it may a little wave then stop.
Then tune the damping factor, it will stop the wave.
Then I tune the P, just feel the copter reactions. if I force the copter to pitch/roll, how fast will it return to level. when i feel the speed of levelling is OK, then go a fly test.
And trim the values according the flight result.
Jingchen is offline Find More Posts by Jingchen
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,467 Posts
---Deleted---
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Feb 10, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:54 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,185 Posts
Jingchen thanks for the info it helps alot to understand what and to setup my Y6. Again thanks so much.

Michael 64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Jul 23, 2011, 01:54 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick21x View Post
I am using a DX8 Radio with ar7100 reciever with additioal Satalite as backup. I am not sure how to check the failsafe on the dx8, do you know how?
I run a DX8, have you sent yours in for the recall? There are known issues with certain receivers.. The TX needs a new RF module!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:03 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Hexa PID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingchen View Post
Normally, The more powerful the copter is, the smaller the PID numbers are.
For example, +style quad has only one motor for pitch back(the front motor), but x style has two motors for pitch back(front two motors). So the PID numbers of x style for pitch are smaller than +style.
If you have a Y6 that using x650 stock motors and props, it's absolutely powerful than a quad because Y6 has two more motors. So you can use the X style quad settings for first test, then turn the numbers a little down for second test. tuning PID need some experience, some one has post this thread, it's useful: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post17169869
It's no difficult to make a motor mixer according to the mixer rules. but need more patience in tuning PID parameters.
For myself, I will tune the D first. Zero or set P&I to a very small value like 0.01, then tune the D value. with proper D, the copter will refuse you to make pitch&roll movements on the frame(by hand). it may a little wave then stop.
Then tune the damping factor, it will stop the wave.
Then I tune the P, just feel the copter reactions. if I force the copter to pitch/roll, how fast will it return to level. when i feel the speed of levelling is OK, then go a fly test.
And trim the values according the flight result.
Hi Jingchen

Based on what you have said the PID settings with a Hexa have to be lower than with a X Quad, so, with a Hexa, I should go with motor mix as shown and your PID settings shown here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1129
Are they still valid as a starting point?
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Jul 23, 2011, 02:26 AM
Nederland, NB, Helmond
Joined Jun 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addepat View Post
I am now testing my new xaircraft 650 a little, but when i do i smell burn. Suddenly i even lost contact.

Your advice please?

P.s. i also hear ticking coming from the motors. Is that normal?
NO one an idea?
Addepat is offline Find More Posts by Addepat