HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:42 PM
United States, NC, Mebane
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
JC, that looks very encouraging.

Instead of shielding the FC is it possible for Xaircraft to shield the antennae to block interference from below and sides but not from the satellites?
Derrick T is offline Find More Posts by Derrick T
Last edited by Derrick T; Jun 04, 2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: to make clearer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:23 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingchen View Post
We have collected some feedback on GPS Module, the problems are mainly:
#1 some user was hard/cant to find enough satellites, especially on the X450 frame.
#2 the copter is too fast(with big angle) to GoHome
#3 the Position Hold not work perfectly, will drift in circle.
And we did a lot of test and analyzes in past one month, found that they mainly caused by the influence on GPS antenna from the electrical device.

Here's the video we shot few days ago for explain the influence(with sample active antenna).
1. How FC Interferes the Antenna
http://vimeo.com/24649469

2. Influenced by Other Device
http://vimeo.com/24650515

3. FC Influence Varies by Distance
http://vimeo.com/24648767

4. Shield the interference
http://vimeo.com/24649311

5. compare the speed with no influence and with influence
http://vimeo.com/24650069

For summery:
#1 the gps can't find the satellite or it takes long time to get a lock, it's quite possible that there's some influence from the working electrical parts.
#2 and get a lock is not saying all is well. and the number of satellites is not the only thing to assure the precision, the strength and stability of signal are importance aspects. if there only 4 satellites with stable and strong signal, the precision is good too.
and different from fix-wing, you may not feel the deviation of almost 10 meters. but you can see the helis/multicopters drifts 5 meters very clearly.

we will send out some active antenna for test next week. and soon we will have the final solution for the GPS. and the date for new firmware release is about 10th~15th this month

---
to russ and Josh,
sorry for delay of the GPS, the GPS with new antenna will send out at the same time of next week too.
Jingchen, on the Chinese site you posted :

The solution:

1: We have purchased a GPS module for the user, provide a new antenna for free, users can open their own shell replacement. The antenna and the antenna of the difference between the old models have more reflective area, the antenna compared as follows (the formal version of the ratio of area under the graph will be a large number of reflections, and the antenna extension cable is only 8 cm), the new antenna will on June 20 to 25 have purchased GPS module distributed between the players. A few days later we will collect shipping information these players.

2: GPS antenna installation, please stay away from sources of interference more than 15 cm (all electronic equipment, including receivers, flight control, map transfer, data transmission, switching power supply, etc.).

3: the need for a longer extension cable for GPS GPS positioning accuracy of better user (Note: Go home and do not need high precision of FPV, a 10m accuracy is sufficient), you can upgrade to our active antenna (active antenna ) active antenna extension cable with 20cm, this upgrade is not free, but only collect the cost by 30 yuan (not including shipping).

4: GPS will soon have a firmware upgrade (expected this month between 10 to 15), the new firmware will further enhance the GPS-location capabilities.

I am assuming that what you posted there will apply to everyone and if so, could you go into more detail about what you will be providing for free and what you will be charging for.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Last edited by robone; Jun 04, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:40 PM
Magyarország, Tolna, Szekszárd
Joined Dec 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post

The solution:

4: GPS will soon have a firmware upgrade (expected this month between 10 to 15), the new firmware will further enhance the GPS-location capabilities.

I am assuming that what you posted there will apply to everyone and if so, could you go into more detail about what you will be providing for free and what you will be charging for.

Rob
Finally! I hope this would help ...

XA. Good work. and the support gettin better... and better...

Waiting X8...
dallosszabolcs is offline Find More Posts by dallosszabolcs
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
@Jingchen
i missing where that program is for looking at the gps. is it someting we can use?, the google earth was clunkey and i saw 9 for what i think was how mant sats, but i wont read chinese in this lifetime because im too old hehe, does google earth show if you have sat lock or just sats in the sky?

on the redo news, i put the new USB to the FC and AHRS, it seems to connect and behave normaly, ( as if i`d know what normal is) going to check GPS now...
also setting up video camera to show the dreaded battery plug in, and srceen shots of what i get on FC. should i wire up a switch between ESC and batt? yes i`ll find the highest rated amp and volts on get one of those switches that have low noise ie: no spark or arc. is the only reason no switch is use is failure in flight? yeah 20 years ago i could see that but now should not be a problem, any ideas collective mind?
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:53 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
octo got legs...

finally cut my gear today. its a all G-10 and glue construction, very light and rigid. thinking about a zirt spring mod. i designed from the stock 650 gear, then widened the stance and height. i still gotta glue the tubes for the bottom. i might stay with a stock camera mount for now, but i donno. also if i make some risers, i can use the stock top cover. randy.

rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:31 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois View Post
finally cut my gear today. its a all G-10 and glue construction, very light and rigid. thinking about a zirt spring mod. i designed from the stock 650 gear, then widened the stance and height. i still gotta glue the tubes for the bottom. i might stay with a stock camera mount for now, but i donno. also if i make some risers, i can use the stock top cover. randy.
looks great, my only concern is it looks like you have used nylon bolts and spacers throughout. Will they be strong enough to cope with the stresses and forces?
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:15 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
looks great, my only concern is it looks like you have used nylon bolts and spacers throughout. Will they be strong enough to cope with the stresses and forces?
josh, when i was building up, i thought af that.....i really think its strong. i will swap out the 4 gear bolts for steel ones when i fly my camera. before the frame fails, i think the arms will. can i ask you...whats your opinion on the motor mounts, would you swap out for steel bolts?? the G-10 mount fits came out better than i figured, that's why i used them, and also this is gonna be for very gentle camera flying. i greatly value the input of the seasoned multi-rotor fellas, as i am just a noob. randy.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:20 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingchen View Post
We have collected some feedback on GPS Module, the problems are mainly:
#1 some user was hard/cant to find enough satellites, especially on the X450 frame.
#2 the copter is too fast(with big angle) to GoHome
#3 the Position Hold not work perfectly, will drift in circle.
And we did a lot of test and analyzes in past one month, found that they mainly caused by the influence on GPS antenna from the electrical device.

Here's the video we shot few days ago for explain the influence(with sample active antenna).
1. How FC Interferes the Antenna
http://vimeo.com/24649469

2. Influenced by Other Device
http://vimeo.com/24650515

3. FC Influence Varies by Distance
http://vimeo.com/24648767

4. Shield the interference
http://vimeo.com/24649311

5. compare the speed with no influence and with influence
http://vimeo.com/24650069

For summery:
#1 the gps can't find the satellite or it takes long time to get a lock, it's quite possible that there's some influence from the working electrical parts.
#2 and get a lock is not saying all is well. and the number of satellites is not the only thing to assure the precision, the strength and stability of signal are importance aspects. if there only 4 satellites with stable and strong signal, the precision is good too.
and different from fix-wing, you may not feel the deviation of almost 10 meters. but you can see the helis/multicopters drifts 5 meters very clearly.

we will send out some active antenna for test next week. and soon we will have the final solution for the GPS. and the date for new firmware release is about 10th~15th this month

---
to russ and Josh,
sorry for delay of the GPS, the GPS with new antenna will send out at the same time of next week too.
Jingchen, thank you for the GPS update. I have a question still though. When I got the GPS for my X450 I couldn't get GPS lock, no matter where I put the antenna. I couldn't get lock until I wrapped the GPS module-to-FC lead through a torroid (4 times), then I could get a lock and normally lock in under 1.5 minutes on cold starts. ALL with the antenna stretched as far from the FC as possible. It was wrapping the FC lead with a torroid that finally made a difference for me. Your test only talks about antenna position from the FC. Did you do testing with the GPS module located near the FC too? I look forward to your final solution and a replacement antenna when you come out with it. I'd just like to verify the GPS module is also being looked at as part of the GPS problem too.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Help...

Hi there,

I recently just purchased a X650 and the aurora 9, i spent all of today building it, i uploaded all the new firmware and configured it. i have checked over and over to make sure it is built correctly and i am getting no movement from the propellers. The fan runs as well as the lights. i am really stuck...it is as if its not receiving any signal? please can someone help?

Thanks very much
louisjp is offline Find More Posts by louisjp
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisjp View Post
Hi there,

I recently just purchased a X650 and the aurora 9, i spent all of today building it, i uploaded all the new firmware and configured it. i have checked over and over to make sure it is built correctly and i am getting no movement from the propellers. The fan runs as well as the lights. i am really stuck...it is as if its not receiving any signal? please can someone help?

Thanks very much
Hi,

Can you confirm that the FC is getting signal from the receiver /from the configuration software/. If the bars are moving when you play with the sticks your receiver is working fine
TheGunMan is offline Find More Posts by TheGunMan
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
how does cello tape work for blade balence, ok? i have a vimeo wait to finish, of USB connection and TX cal., one thing, with this new ESC, when i poke throttle, motors idle up and when i poke stick down, the ESC that burn`d up if i poked the thro stick up and back down to zero the motors would not stop, and this ESC seems different on xair configstation, the mast movements move crisper, the motor stops, i am all most ready to say i got a bad ESC, video coming up of battery plugged in, as soon as vimeo finishes its thing...

@louisjp, i have same TX and RX, is there a red led lit on RX?

are the wires right, yes they are... (1 min 42 sec)
should be wiring view,

x650, wiring, TX calibration config station settingg (4 min 13 sec)
shot of USB powered FC,ahrs gps, compass
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Last edited by boxhead530; Jun 04, 2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added video link and second video
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
862 Posts
more videos:
Searching Satellite with 20cm Away From FC (1 min 42 sec)

Shielded Cover over FC (3 min 9 sec)

Here's are the antenna we have tested.

outdoor testing with strong signal, the precision was good. the dots are in the 2m radius. the GPS run at 5hz, 0.2sec per dot.

Jingchen is offline Find More Posts by Jingchen
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post

The solution:

1: We have purchased a GPS module for the user, provide a new antenna for free, users can open their own shell replacement. The antenna and the antenna of the difference between the old models have more reflective area, the antenna compared as follows (the formal version of the ratio of area under the graph will be a large number of reflections, and the antenna extension cable is only 8 cm), the new antenna will on June 20 to 25 have purchased GPS module distributed between the players. A few days later we will collect shipping information these players.

2: GPS antenna installation, please stay away from sources of interference more than 15 cm (all electronic equipment, including receivers, flight control, map transfer, data transmission, switching power supply, etc.).

3: the need for a longer extension cable for GPS GPS positioning accuracy of better user (Note: Go home and do not need high precision of FPV, a 10m accuracy is sufficient), you can upgrade to our active antenna (active antenna ) active antenna extension cable with 20cm, this upgrade is not free, but only collect the cost by 30 yuan (not including shipping).

Rob
these solutions are the possible solution by now, the final solution will come out about 7~10days later after the antenna was arrive at our test pilots.
Jingchen is offline Find More Posts by Jingchen
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:28 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
plus or cross...

im setting up my octa, to the x-aircraft recomendation. i have the motors maped, my question is do i select the plus or cross setting??
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,475 Posts
---Deleted---
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Feb 10, 2012 at 06:20 PM.