HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
United States, NC, Mebane
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickh View Post
Which would be best to buy for a multi rotor coptor the Futuba 8fg Super airplane version or the helicopter version. The airplane version has a rachet throttle and the heli version has a spring loaded throttle.

I am a newb just getting started so I need to buy everything.

Thanks for your advice.
I agree completely with topgearuk, I tried both versions and bought the 8fg super heli version. The throttle is very smooth, with adjustable tension if you need, nice radio
Derrick T is offline Find More Posts by Derrick T
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
Nice one topgear
I wouldn't worry too much about the video yet, wait until you've tested it in calm conditions, you'll never ever get stable video in 13mph winds with gusts
Thanks TeeJayBee, but your the one I'm trying to get close to for smoothness! Now I can see that it can be done! That was a great clip and I wish I could get my video's that smooth!

How are you getting on with your camera and your mount? Have you tried still photo's yet?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old May 13, 2011, 05:04 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
not seen it ...link?
Hi Joshbb

I found it here

http://www.xaircraft.com/wiki/特殊:最近更改

Interested in how the battery alarm voltage setting works \ does...
Yammysho is offline Find More Posts by Yammysho
Old May 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
United States, NC, Mebane
Joined Apr 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Ok here is my 1st ever AP outing other then from my back garden! lol It's from the windmill in the village where I live, still not happy with the video, so that's defiantly work in progress... Also a bit tricky having to take your hand off the throttle and rudder to operate the camera shutter, so there are a few wobbly bit's in the video and has been quite windy out today 13mph gusting 18-20mph although now looks like it's calmed down a little... typical!

The video and photo's are unedited. Just cropped and resized some photo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbKOxzvtuc
Great photos. Having lived in Hitchin I know how beautiful Hertfordshire is.
Derrick T is offline Find More Posts by Derrick T
Old May 13, 2011, 05:26 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Thanks TeeJayBee, but your the one I'm trying to get close to for smoothness! Now I can see that it can be done! That was a great clip and I wish I could get my video's that smooth!

How are you getting on with your camera and your mount? Have you tried still photo's yet?
LOL
It's no good trying to copy someone who's cheating (well unless you know how they cheated)

OK not really cheating but here's the set up....

Bog standard X650 all set up as per instructions
Using standard single axis camera mount with standard dampers
Camera used is a Sony DSC-HX9V it's their lates top end compact (this makes life a little easier...)
Recording at 1080p50, that's 50 frames per second progressive which allows me to slow motion post process (using Sony Vegas Pro) and render at 1080p25, doing this gives better/smoother slow mo as the software doesn't have to invent frames that didn't exist, it uses the ones that were actually there
I made use of the single axis stabilisation too
That day was particularly calm, well at least that period in the day was as I noticed the wind drop and rushed out to the field to test the new set up

Slow and deliberate actions on the controls help, I've still a lot to learn with flying but focussed practice will get me there, I'm a bit of a tech head but my main objective is smooth aerial videography and nice still shots

I've tried filming in gusty wind and if you're lucky you may get an occasional calm spot where the video is worth keeping but as soon as the quad is fighting the wind it all gets too viby and choppy

Even in my vids I can see high frequency vibes which I have some ideas on how to tackle, I'm also converting my standard single axis to 2 axis to get rid of unwanted camera roll, if I get it sorted and working I'll post up pics of what I did, as I remake it I'm also raising it up higher to help get rid of the pendulum effect and hopefull making it easier to control in a breeze/gust when it's ladden

In a nutshell
A 1080 or 720 camera that can take at 50/60 frames per second and use slo mo where it doesn't look silly
A very calm day (patience is essential here in the UK)
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
will xaircraft tools ver.2.01 work with FC1212-s? and related flgt componets?
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old May 13, 2011, 07:02 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2011
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead916 View Post
will xaircraft tools ver.2.01 work with FC1212-s? and related flgt componets?
Yeah, maybe not?
Yammysho is offline Find More Posts by Yammysho
Old May 13, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,487 Posts
---Deleted---
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Feb 10, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
awesome! are you flying FPV?
Quote:
Ok here is my 1st ever AP outing other then from my back garden! lol It's from the windmill in the village where I live, still not happy with the video, so that's defiantly work in progress... Also a bit tricky having to take your hand off the throttle and rudder to operate the camera shutter, so there are a few wobbly bit's in the video and has been quite windy out today 13mph gusting 18-20mph although now looks like it's calmed down a little... typical!

The video and photo's are unedited. Just cropped and resized some photo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbKOxzvtuc
KiTCyclic is offline Find More Posts by KiTCyclic
Old May 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Flashed to latest fc 1.31 and ah 1.2.

flew the x650 for the first time today. Felt like I was flying a heavy blade cx2 for the first time. Although I only flew in hover mode, when you let off the sticks it goes back to center pretty decent! I got some minor drift. Should I try to clean this up with trims or with xair config software?

Do you use anything besides the velcro straps to hold the battery in?

Thanks for all the input that got me this far!
KiTCyclic is offline Find More Posts by KiTCyclic
Old May 14, 2011, 03:33 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick T View Post
Great photos. Having lived in Hitchin I know how beautiful Hertfordshire is.
Thank you, wow that was literal just up the road from me! How long ago was it you lived there?

Unfortunately I live 1/2 a mile from beautiful Hertfordshire, in the controversial Essex...Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTCyclic View Post
awesome! are you flying FPV?
Thank you also, no not FPV, but that will be a future project for this quad I think..
Old May 14, 2011, 03:49 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
LOL
It's no good trying to copy someone who's cheating (well unless you know how they cheated)

OK not really cheating but here's the set up....

Bog standard X650 all set up as per instructions
Using standard single axis camera mount with standard dampers
Lol... This is all now making so much sense!! Lol I'd stripped my quad down once after seeing your video, I should have asked you 1st what you had done!, tired my other set of props, I had a spare set and balanced them in a different way. 1st set I had sanded the backs of the props to get the balance which is how I balance my plane props, 2nd set I used tape like I do on my heli blades!

Quote:
Camera used is a Sony DSC-HX9V it's their lates top end compact (this makes life a little easier...)
Recording at 1080p50, that's 50 frames per second progressive which allows me to slow motion post process (using Sony Vegas Pro) and render at 1080p25, doing this gives better/smoother slow mo as the software doesn't have to invent frames that didn't exist, it uses the ones that were actually there
I made use of the single axis stabilisation too
That day was particularly calm, well at least that period in the day was as I noticed the wind drop and rushed out to the field to test the new set up

Slow and deliberate actions on the controls help, I've still a lot to learn with flying but focussed practice will get me there, I'm a bit of a tech head but my main objective is smooth aerial videography and nice still shots

I've tried filming in gusty wind and if you're lucky you may get an occasional calm spot where the video is worth keeping but as soon as the quad is fighting the wind it all gets too viby and choppy
On your camera I believe it can also shoot in 1080i, I'm sure I heard somewhere that this mode is actually better for video once mounted to a frame. Have you tried that mode yet?

I'm glad you are also experiencing viby and choppy video when windy out!

I also have a copy of Sony Vegas 10 but it's just the platinum version and only used it a few times, something else I need to get my head round.. But I've heard the Pro version also has built in anti shake, have you had much success in using that?

Quote:
Even in my vids I can see high frequency vibes which I have some ideas on how to tackle, I'm also converting my standard single axis to 2 axis to get rid of unwanted camera roll, if I get it sorted and working I'll post up pics of what I did, as I remake it I'm also raising it up higher to help get rid of the pendulum effect and hopefull making it easier to control in a breeze/gust when it's ladden

In a nutshell
A 1080 or 720 camera that can take at 50/60 frames per second and use slo mo where it doesn't look silly
A very calm day (patience is essential here in the UK)
Yes I'm looking into a 2 way or even 3 way camera mount also as think this will make a big difference.

Thanks for the very informative post! This has helped me and saved me from stripping my quad down one more time!! Lol
Old May 14, 2011, 04:14 AM
Multi-Rotor Mad
UK
Joined Jul 2010
410 Posts
Hi Dave,
I have the Sony HX9V and in 1080i mode it is not good ,, you see lots of visible tiny lines and the picture seems to make your eyes go funny lol.
1080p @50fps is best so far on this camera I have found.

Quote:
Lol... This is all now making so much sense!! Lol I'd stripped my quad down once after seeing your video, I should have asked you 1st what you had done!, tired my other set of props, I had a spare set and balanced them in a different way. 1st set I had sanded the backs of the props to get the balance which is how I balance my plane props, 2nd set I used tape like I do on my heli blades!

On your camera I believe it can also shoot in 1080i, I'm sure I heard somewhere that this mode is actually better for video once mounted to a frame. Have you tried that mode yet?

I'm glad you are also experiencing viby and choppy video when windy out!

I also have a copy of Sony Vegas 10 but it's just the platinum version and only used it a few times, something else I need to get my head round.. But I've heard the Pro version also has built in anti shake, have you had much success in using that?

Yes I'm looking into a 2 way or even 3 way camera mount also as think this will make a big difference.

Thanks for the very informative post! This has helped me and saved me from stripping my quad down one more time!! Lol
QuadcoptersUk is offline Find More Posts by QuadcoptersUk
Old May 14, 2011, 04:25 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
here is a configuration I have been using lately. I used it yesterday with my 2 axis camera mount when it was windy and it seemed to perform quite well

maybe too much yaw and not enough dampening for calmer conditions...

I have a changed a few things since I made these settings
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Last edited by Joshbb; May 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:52 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfpv View Post
Hi Dave,
I have the Sony HX9V and in 1080i mode it is not good ,, you see lots of visible tiny lines and the picture seems to make your eyes go funny lol.
1080p @50fps is best so far on this camera I have found.
Thanks for that, and yes have been seriously looking at that camera. Although I have only just brought a new one I won it off eBay (and got it at a bargain price!) and for what I paid for it I would easily get it back again if I needed to resell it.

Does your camera have aperture priority? And can it shoot in RAW? I can't seem to find these 2 bits of information out, on sony's web site it just says Jpeg but on anther site it does state RAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
here is a configuration I have been using lately. I used it yesterday with my 2 axis camera mount when it was windy and it seemed to perform quite well
Will give this a try, not having done this before I guess I save my current Config. then upload yours? What changes have you made?
Is that your own 2 axis mount?