HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2011, 04:53 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moombe View Post
Very nice frame ! Where did you get it from ?
You get it from me, contact me if you want more details.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 05:01 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2011
104 Posts
Tools 2.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead916 View Post
hey everybody,xaircraft tools 2.01 for the 650? nice interface...
Getting error when trying to connect, "Connect failed: The device is not connected". Anyone had this problem?

Don't have any issues with the standard configuration tool

Thanks
Yammysho is offline Find More Posts by Yammysho
Old May 13, 2011, 05:28 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
I think I've crack my vibration problems, well to a much better degree anyway and by pure luck! Simple don't put the video camera on the camera mount... Dooh!!!

Just took some sample shots and looking much better, will get out later today and take some proper shots and post the results on here.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old May 13, 2011, 06:48 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
I decided to load the X650 up to its maximum weight of 1800g. Totally different animal. I found it so much more difficult to control. It was almost like starting the learning process of flying, over again. Had a bit of a bad landing and popped a few screws on the legs. Struts bend but nothing else broken.

Rob
Take out some of the expo, the reaction times are slow when the XA is loaded, combine the weigh - expo and damping (in the software) then it takes too long to react
Also rearrange the camera mount to get the weight higher up towards the CoG (just working on that one myself)

Maybe create a new model in your radio for a laden XA, that'll save you having to keep changing expo
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2011, 07:04 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammysho View Post
Getting error when trying to connect, "Connect failed: The device is not connected". Anyone had this problem?

Don't have any issues with the standard configuration tool

Thanks
not seen it ...link?
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old May 13, 2011, 07:53 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
Take out some of the expo, the reaction times are slow when the XA is loaded, combine the weigh - expo and damping (in the software) then it takes too long to react
Also rearrange the camera mount to get the weight higher up towards the CoG (just working on that one myself)

Maybe create a new model in your radio for a laden XA, that'll save you having to keep changing expo
You are right, that's why the bad landing. Throttle never kicked in, in time. I think I can do it with a switch on the Futaba 7C, keep the same profile and when loaded just switch out the expo.

I will try the camera mount without the rubber dampers. This will move the CoG higher

Luckily I never had the camera mounted, just a tupperware container filled with stones

Cheers
Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old May 13, 2011, 08:35 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Ok here is my 1st ever AP outing other then from my back garden! lol It's from the windmill in the village where I live, still not happy with the video, so that's defiantly work in progress... Also a bit tricky having to take your hand off the throttle and rudder to operate the camera shutter, so there are a few wobbly bit's in the video and has been quite windy out today 13mph gusting 18-20mph although now looks like it's calmed down a little... typical!

The video and photo's are unedited. Just cropped and resized some photo's.

X650, Gopro HD with Sunex lens on shot in 720p (9 min 41 sec)
Old May 13, 2011, 09:25 AM
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
294 Posts
Nice one

Looks Good
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Old May 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Good bit of software .. free .... to see how many satellites there are in the sky ....good for planning shoots etc. http://www.trimble.com/planningsoftware_ts.asp

By the way .. look at HDOP (Horizontal Dilution Of Precision) is a measure of how well the positions of the satellites, used to generate the Latitude and Longitude solutions, are arranged. PDOP less than 4 gives the best accuracy, between 4 and 8 gives acceptable accuracy and greater than 8 gives unacceptable poor accuracy. Higher HDOP values can be caused if the satellites are at high elevations.

and GDOP (Geometric Dilution Of Precision) is a measure of the overall uncertainty in a GPS position solution.
GDOP = SQRT(TDOP^2 + HDOP^2 + VDOP^2) or in another form
GDOP = SQRT(PDOP^2 + TDOP^2). GDOP value should be less than 5.

Actually, it is interesting, when I went out this morning at about 09h00, I could not get a lock on any satellites. I can see why...at that time there were only 4 that were visible. The best time for me to go out would have been at 15h00 when there were 10 satellites visible. And my GDOP was 20 at 09h00, which is totally unacceptable.

Cheers
Rob
Last edited by robone; May 13, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:44 AM
UavRotorKing.com
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2010
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Thanks and yes worth a check, all my screws are tight and thread locked .

Not sure if this is the same stuff as moon gel but i've tried that and if anything it made matters worse

I've just ordered some very small rubber O'rings, which I'm going to place in between the motor and the mount like a washer, so i'll use 4 on each motor screw. See if this will help isolate vibration... It's a bit of a long shot but worth the few pence in O'rings to give a try.
i have tried orings fiber washers and nylon washer seems to work the best. but it was not good enough so i took them off. i hope you have better luck though. let me know if you figured something out.
quad master is offline Find More Posts by quad master
Old May 13, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
I've just ordered some very small rubber O'rings, which I'm going to place in between the motor and the mount like a washer, so i'll use 4 on each motor screw. See if this will help isolate vibration... It's a bit of a long shot but worth the few pence in O'rings to give a try.
Just watch the thread. I tried inserting a small spacer and the screw threads were then too short which actually then stripped a few of the threads on the motor.

Cheers
Rob
Last edited by robone; May 13, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdelaneyuk View Post
Nice one

Looks Good
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad master View Post
i have tried orings fiber washers and nylon washer seems to work the best. but it was not good enough so i took them off. i hope you have better luck though. let me know if you figured something out.
Thanks for the heads up, might not be the solution I was hopping for but will let you know if I have any success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Just watch the tread. I tried inserting a small spacer and the screw threads were then too short which actually then stripped a few of the threads in on the motor.

Cheers
Rob
I hadn't realised this had been tried before, but I'll make sure I'll use the appropriate length screws!
Old May 13, 2011, 11:33 AM
Salem, OR
Joined Dec 2004
32 Posts
Radio for Multi Rotor Copter

Which would be best to buy for a multi rotor coptor the Futuba 8fg Super airplane version or the helicopter version. The airplane version has a rachet throttle and the heli version has a spring loaded throttle.

I am a newb just getting started so I need to buy everything.

Thanks for your advice.
slickh is offline Find More Posts by slickh
Old May 13, 2011, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickh View Post
Which would be best to buy for a multi rotor coptor the Futuba 8fg Super airplane version or the helicopter version. The airplane version has a rachet throttle and the heli version has a spring loaded throttle.

I am a newb just getting started so I need to buy everything.

Thanks for your advice.
That's a fantastic radio, and wish I'd stuck with Futaba! I'd go with the Heli version every time! The throttle isn't sprung loaded it's just very smooth as opposed the the aircraft which have a ratchet!
Old May 13, 2011, 01:11 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Ok here is my 1st ever AP outing other then from my back garden! lol It's from the windmill in the village where I live, still not happy with the video, so that's defiantly work in progress... Also a bit tricky having to take your hand off the throttle and rudder to operate the camera shutter, so there are a few wobbly bit's in the video and has been quite windy out today 13mph gusting 18-20mph although now looks like it's calmed down a little... typical!

The video and photo's are unedited. Just cropped and resized some photo's.

Nice one topgear
I wouldn't worry too much about the video yet, wait until you've tested it in calm conditions, you'll never ever get stable video in 13mph winds with gusts
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)