HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2011, 07:01 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2011
43 Posts
Radio choise

Hi everyone,

I am new in the business but love to get in

I have radio question - I cant decide between Airtronics SD-10G and Hitec Aurora 9 for X650

I know that aurora has 1 channel less but beside this?

Thank you in advance
TheGunMan is offline Find More Posts by TheGunMan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
UavRotorKing.com
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2010
1,080 Posts
i am the only one that has the airtronics sd10 and i love it a lot easiesr to work with easier to adjust switches and move them around easy to take apart and adjust the ratching throttle and feels better in your hand the auro is too fat it is thicker. the airtronics is easier to control the camera while flying too. look at the manual for both and see what looks easier to learn while being on top of there technology. airtronics has super fast response times too.

i got mine for 399.99 at hobby people and they went on sale after i bought it and they told me to bring in my receipt and made me only pay 359.99 for the radio after the sale ended too. 10 channel tx and rx with charger.
quad master is offline Find More Posts by quad master
Old May 12, 2011, 07:20 PM
UavRotorKing.com
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2010
1,080 Posts
9 channel is not enough but still 10 channel is not enough but a whole lot better than 9 lol. you can never have to many channels lol.
quad master is offline Find More Posts by quad master
Old May 12, 2011, 08:37 PM
Indianapolis, In
Joined Oct 2004
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new in the business but love to get in

I have radio question - I cant decide between Airtronics SD-10G and Hitec Aurora 9 for X650

I know that aurora has 1 channel less but beside this?

Thank you in advance
Have you looked at Futaba 8fg? It is 12+2 channels, and in a similar price range.

Thanks,
Joe
jcoahran is offline Find More Posts by jcoahran
Old May 13, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2009
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad master View Post
i am the only one that has the airtronics sd10 and i love it a lot easiesr to work with easier to adjust switches and move them around easy to take apart and adjust the ratching throttle and feels better in your hand the auro is too fat it is thicker. the airtronics is easier to control the camera while flying too. look at the manual for both and see what looks easier to learn while being on top of there technology. airtronics has super fast response times too.

i got mine for 399.99 at hobby people and they went on sale after i bought it and they told me to bring in my receipt and made me only pay 359.99 for the radio after the sale ended too. 10 channel tx and rx with charger.
All your opinions, I use A9 and it as easy as pie, I dont get some of your coments, with the a9 you dont have to take it apart to adjust the throttle ratchet you just turn a screw, you cant get more simple than that,
wizardcompact is offline Find More Posts by wizardcompact
Old May 13, 2011, 01:28 AM
Joined Nov 2009
132 Posts
Also normal flyers will not be able to tell the difference with latency.
wizardcompact is offline Find More Posts by wizardcompact
Old May 13, 2011, 01:41 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2011
43 Posts
Thanks for the answers.

Excuse my incopmpetence but I hope I will learn fast.

Can some one explain how many channels are needed and for what / 1 for this, one for that and etc./

Regarding Futuba 8fg - is it 8 channels or 12+2 in real life

New 8FG Super features:

Expanded with 14 total transmitter channels — 12 proportional and two switched.

Included R6208SB receiver's PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) channels support up to 8 standard analog or digital servos — and it handles up to 18 channels when used with an S.Bus system.

can somebody explain to me please the above two statements

Thank you
TheGunMan is offline Find More Posts by TheGunMan
Last edited by TheGunMan; May 13, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:08 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdelaneyuk View Post
Have you checked all the screws? I found when mine had a bit of vibration some of the screws had loosened off a bit.
I retightened them and it cured it, worth a check.
Thanks and yes worth a check, all my screws are tight and thread locked .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSkidShort View Post
I use Zeal gel but you can use any type of absortion tape (thick). Put it between the camera and mount. I put two large pieces on each side of the camera screw and it has helped. I'm working on isolating the camera more than the mount as you can't do too much with the way the mount is attached unless you want to get more creative. My camera is light and I tried adding more weight onto the mount as well...helped a bit but the zeal gel worked better.
Not sure if this is the same stuff as moon gel but i've tried that and if anything it made matters worse

I've just ordered some very small rubber O'rings, which I'm going to place in between the motor and the mount like a washer, so i'll use 4 on each motor screw. See if this will help isolate vibration... It's a bit of a long shot but worth the few pence in O'rings to give a try.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old May 13, 2011, 02:34 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Wavre
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Just a random note, finally got around to getting the Quanum onto the XL Y6. Haven't weighed it yet but it has some girth.
Very nice frame ! Where did you get it from ?
moombe is online now Find More Posts by moombe
Old May 13, 2011, 02:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsalem View Post
I fully agree...we have bought some hardware and expect it to work. I have the confidence that XA would find a solution soon...but i was thinking about firmware upgrade and not hardware upgrade.

Jingchen: are you doing something on firmware improvement??
Yes, we are doing the both.
Active antenna will help to find the satellites more stable. The new firmware will improve the performance on the PH, GH.
Jingchen is offline Find More Posts by Jingchen
Old May 13, 2011, 03:11 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
I decided to load the X650 up to its maximum weight of 1800g. Totally different animal. I found it so much more difficult to control. It was almost like starting the learning process of flying, over again. Had a bit of a bad landing and popped a few screws on the legs. Struts bend but nothing else broken.

As for the GPS, I am glad that Jingchen and XA are doing something positive and look forward to the GPS working. As of today, it again wouldn't lock onto anything. I think the satellite managers switch everything off on a Friday

Jingchen, how will you handle getting the hardware upgrades (active antenna) to all who have purchased a GPS, because the existing antenna is connected directly into the GPS and there is no visible connection point.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old May 13, 2011, 03:26 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
the existing antenna is connected directly into the GPS and there is no visible connection point.

Rob
i dont know how they will manage things if they decide to go with an active antenna, but it just unplugs inside the gps case.
They may ask you to return the unit if a jumper connection needs to be soldered to activate the active antenna power
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old May 13, 2011, 03:28 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Wavre
Joined Feb 2011
207 Posts
Quick question about camera mount control : if I intend to have a mount being stabilized by the FC (like this mount for instance), do I understand correctly that I do not need any input channel from my RX ? In other words, I don't want to control the camera mount position from my remote, I just want it to be kept stabilized by the FC.
moombe is online now Find More Posts by moombe
Old May 13, 2011, 03:31 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moombe View Post
Quick question about camera mount control : if I intend to have a mount being stabilized by the FC (like this mount for instance), do I understand correctly that I do not need any input channel from my RX ? In other words, I don't want to control the camera mount position from my remote, I just want it to be kept stabilized by the FC.
Yes that's right.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old May 13, 2011, 04:34 AM
Indianapolis, In
Joined Oct 2004
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
Thanks for the answers.

Regarding Futuba 8fg - is it 8 channels or 12+2 in real life

Thank you
Yes, the 8fg is a 12+2 channel transmitter in real life. The receiver it ships with is an 8 channel receiver. It can be replaced with with several other receivers up to 14 channels. Might even be able to get a retailer to swap out the 8 for a 14 at the time of purchase.

Thanks,
Joe
jcoahran is offline Find More Posts by jcoahran