SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 11, 2011, 02:12 PM
Registered User
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
Gps burnt out

I have been leaving my GPS on connected via usb power only for extended periods to test it for signals etc.

Today it suddenly lost its signal and I could smell burning.

When I opened the gps up I could see (and smell) that an electrolytic capacitor has burnt out (and possibly adjacent components too), I cant quite read its value as its a bit scorched.

So unless Xaircraft decide to replace my now double faulty gps I am out of this
Xaircraft/Jingchen what should I do?

Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 02:16 PM
Z06 Tony's Avatar
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
I have been leaving my GPS on connected via usb power only for extended periods to test it for signals etc.

Today it suddenly lost its signal and I could smell burning.

When I opened the gps up I could see ( and smell) that an electrolytic capacitor has burnt out, I cant quite read its value is too scorched.

So unless Xaircraft decide to replace my now double faulty gps I am out of this
Xaircraft/Jingchen what should I do?



Ohhhhh Noooooo JB. Hopefully Xair will replace it. See if they will ship yours 1st before sending yours back if they will replace it to get it faster.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
Registered User
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
LOL even though they gave away a bunch of X450 funny thing is only vids I can find on youtube are from Xair and Norf. Looks like nobody else bothered to upload some good vids of their gift LOL. Unless I missed some. maybe anyone who did upload a vid can post it here.
I bought a busted ahrs unit that's my only reason for not having any 450 vids to show
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 03:25 PM
Registered User
russdelaneyuk's Avatar
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
I have been leaving my GPS on connected via usb power only for extended periods to test it for signals etc.

Today it suddenly lost its signal and I could smell burning.

When I opened the gps up I could see (and smell) that an electrolytic capacitor has burnt out (and possibly adjacent components too), I cant quite read its value as its a bit scorched.

So unless Xaircraft decide to replace my now double faulty gps I am out of this
Xaircraft/Jingchen what should I do?

Funny old thing thats what burnt out on mine. Its gone back to Xaircraft to be repaired.
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 03:30 PM
Registered User
russdelaneyuk's Avatar
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
296 Posts
Here is a pic of mine, I presumed it was the faulty lead even though i had just updated the firmware on the GPS with it.

Maybe that was not the problem after all?


Its the same component.
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2009
593 Posts
So glad I backed out on buying one. When you have to sell your product under multiple names it speaks volumes. Xaircraft->LotusRC->Turbo Ace(Wow Hobbies).?#@#!
aerorotor is offline Find More Posts by aerorotor
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 06:27 PM
Z06 Tony's Avatar
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerorotor View Post
So glad I backed out on buying one. When you have to sell your product under multiple names it speaks volumes. Xaircraft->LotusRC->Turbo Ace(Wow Hobbies).?#@#!
Not sure why people keep thinking this. It is not true. LotusRc, Turbo Ace etc are seperate companys. They are not affiliated with Xaircraft
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2011, 06:59 PM
Registered User
KiTCyclic's Avatar
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
newly built and ready to run

OK, so I got everything checking out good on the software and radio...

After getting my channels correct I decided to test all channels and watch the green bar go up and down. Much to my surprise with just USB power the motors want to spin up. I obviously don't have props on right now but how bad is this for the motors/esc to spin up like that? Should my USB be allowing the motors to spin? I didn't hit it above 5% but still.

Slow blinking green light on the ESC
Solid green on the AHRS

When I push throttle up the green bar goes up...
When I push roll left the channel goes right
When I push rudder left the channel green bar goes right
When I push the pitch up the green bar goes up.

Are these correct or should i reverse roll and rud?

Model > input menu says rc12 firmware is 1.00

Info button from main screen says fc firmware is 1.30 Why this discrepancy? or is there two different firmwares here that are referenced?


Thanks for all the help, this is my first x650 so I apologize if these questions are newb. I bet the wiki has a lot of these answers but I cannot access it for the past few days.

-KiT
KiTCyclic is offline Find More Posts by KiTCyclic
Last edited by KiTCyclic; May 11, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 07:51 PM
Registered User
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTCyclic View Post
OK, so I got everything checking out good on the software and radio...

After getting my channels correct I decided to test all channels and watch the green bar go up and down. Much to my surprise with just USB power the motors want to spin up. I obviously don't have props on right now but how bad is this for the motors/esc to spin up like that? Should my USB be allowing the motors to spin? I didn't hit it above 5% but still.

Slow blinking green light on the ESC
Solid green on the AHRS

When I push throttle up the green bar goes up...
When I push roll left the channel goes right
When I push rudder left the channel green bar goes right
When I push the pitch up the green bar goes up.

Are these correct or should i reverse roll and rud?

Model > input menu says rc12 firmware is 1.00

Info button from main screen says fc firmware is 1.30 Why this discrepancy? or is there two different firmwares here that are referenced?


Thanks for all the help, this is my first x650 so I apologize if these questions are newb. I bet the wiki has a lot of these answers but I cannot access it for the past few days.

-KiT
yes its perfectly normal for your motors to spin and everything in radio should be reversed properly already from the X650 settings I left on it.
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 07:52 PM
Registered User
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Not sure why people keep thinking this. It is not true. LotusRc, Turbo Ace etc are seperate companys. They are not affiliated with Xaircraft
Yeah separate companies all together and lol @ backing out of buying an X650 your loss not ours.
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 07:55 PM
Registered User
KiTCyclic's Avatar
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcapsule View Post
yes its perfectly normal for your motors to spin and everything in radio should be reversed properly already from the X650 settings I left on it.
So your xconfig file had no reverse checks and the green bars are going the proper way?

AUX6 is on SB but the xconfig has CH5 for GYRO? I think I am confused with this one. It looks like SG controls the flight mode. LOL I'm lost.
KiTCyclic is offline Find More Posts by KiTCyclic
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:03 PM
Registered User
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTCyclic View Post
So your xconfig file had no reverse checks and the green bars are going the proper way?

AUX6 is on SB but the xconfig has CH5 for GYRO? I think I am confused with this one. It looks like SG controls the flight mode. LOL I'm lost.
hmm actually scratch that I havent used that radio since the latest firmware update which made some changes. I'm sorry. CH5 is your flight mode though. If you only want to fly in hover mode (which i suggest since you're new to quads) just unplug channel 5 for now
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:05 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Oct 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
I have been leaving my GPS on connected via usb power only for extended periods to test it for signals etc.

Today it suddenly lost its signal and I could smell burning.

When I opened the gps up I could see (and smell) that an electrolytic capacitor has burnt out (and possibly adjacent components too), I cant quite read its value as its a bit scorched.

So unless Xaircraft decide to replace my now double faulty gps I am out of this
Xaircraft/Jingchen what should I do?

Could you post a picture of the components on the other side of the GPS PCB please Josh. Thanks in advance. Doug.
Dreamspec is offline Find More Posts by Dreamspec
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Registered User
KiTCyclic's Avatar
Joined Jan 2004
257 Posts
On another note, I think the build quality of the model was top notch. In line with a Trex build. I had a small issue with the nylon screws that a little oil solved (thanks to the replies on this one) and I had a cross thread occur on landing gear part L1006, actually two of the four battery tray link up screw holes were cross threaded or under cut.

Overall I am impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of this quad.

Now if the wiki would just come back up so I can continue configuring and testing all the settings.
KiTCyclic is offline Find More Posts by KiTCyclic
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Registered User
russdelaneyuk's Avatar
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTCyclic View Post
On another note, I think the build quality of the model was top notch. In line with a Trex build. I had a small issue with the nylon screws that a little oil solved (thanks to the replies on this one) and I had a cross thread occur on landing gear part L1006, actually two of the four battery tray link up screw holes were cross threaded or under cut.

Overall I am impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of this quad.

Now if the wiki would just come back up so I can continue configuring and testing all the settings.
What files do you need? I might be able to help.
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Xaircraft X650 Quad Owners and Testers Thread Z06 Tony Multirotor Talk 459 Feb 07, 2014 03:54 PM
Discussion x650 Technical Documents Translation:XAircraft X650 LED Module infmetry Multirotor Talk 9 Nov 22, 2011 07:03 PM
Discussion WANTED:Test-Pilots for X650&Letter to XAircraft Pilots/The final namelist determined xaircraft Multirotor Talk 35 Jan 11, 2011 08:28 AM
Discussion X650 the new quad from XAircraft to be launched very soon bob.titus Multirotor Talk 558 Nov 20, 2010 12:33 PM
Discussion Official!!!!!! Parrot A.RDrone USA owners thread Quad_Addict Multirotor Talk 59 Oct 28, 2010 12:48 AM