HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 11:05 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
you cant the firmware wont let you, I have some special firmware for testing only unfortunately
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Josh, How do you connect U center 6.1 to the GPS? I have downloaded it but cannot figure how to connect.

Thanks
Rob
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingchen View Post
Bad News:
And a news for GPS test. We just got an active antenna and test it nearing the buildings(about 10 meters away from the building).
What about getting the U-Blox into pedestrian mode, has anything been acheived with that ?
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
you cant the firmware wont let you, I have some special firmware for testing only unfortunately
Thanks....was wondering why. Tried everything except hot wiring it.
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old May 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
UavRotorKing.com
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2010
1,080 Posts
Quote:
I think what Glen has done here is the easiest and cheapest way of doing it. I am in the process of doing something similar myself. Using slightly different material, but the principle is the same. Just wondering how much it will bounce though. But I suppose that will depend on the weight.

the foam make it so if you are off a little bit on your landing the landing gear will not twist and bend which leads to breaking and absorb a falling quad and make it more visible. the spring is great design but if you are off on your landing it will still have a little twist but it is defiantly cooler looking. seems to take hard landings. better than mine.
quad master is offline Find More Posts by quad master
Old May 11, 2011, 11:39 AM
UavRotorKing.com
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2010
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
They way I read this is that some problems maybe be able to be addressed by software but fundamentally there are limitations with this hardware... Correct me if I'm wrong??

I'd just like to say a thank you too you Josh for your input and testing, even if it has/is going unnoticed with the powers that be!! And your right about a few test units could have saved a lot of end user hassle!

Me, I'm now in a dilemma as to weather I should cancel my order for the GPS and Compass, as on the whole I'm very happy with the stock X650, but thought these extras would help with the AP i'm trying to get in to!
just get the compass will help with ap.
quad master is offline Find More Posts by quad master
Old May 11, 2011, 11:50 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,201 Posts
Quote:
you know it's really annoying that we could probably have sorted most gps issues before any were sold if Xaircraft had sent a couple of units out before release!

I was told in December last year that they should sent me a unit for testing in January! I guess the Xaircraft boss Mr Peng the Boss, decided they could not afford the cost, or that it did not need testing or whatever..

Even after release Mr Peng, refused to send any GPS units to any testers!

I hope one day they will understand that it is the quality of the product that counts if you want to be the best in your sector, and not the quantity of different products produced and released.

sorry for my rant it's just a bit frustrating to see how things have turned out so far, Things that could have been easily avoided.
+1 hopefully XA learned there lesson this time. Trying to save a buck and look where it got them. Spending money on R&D is part of any cutting edge technology business. The manufacturing costs are less than 1/2 of retail I am sure. Seems like a small thing for such an IMPORTANT release. I am sure this whole fiasco has cost them ALOT let me repeat ALOT more than the cost of a GPS or 2. I am sure everyone will agree now this was a VERY bad move on there part.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
319 Posts
Quote:
Hi
how many people are holding back buying now though? not everyone wants to pay to be a tester.

for the cost of a couple of test units a few months ago they could have saved a lot of hassles and potential negative press IMHO

I know which business model makes the sense to me
They sent out X450s to people like me for free who were hardly testers (actually newbe)...i dont think that they were miser on sending out few GPS units for testing... But dont know why they did not..
I have purchased the GPS/Compass and still think they would do some thing and soon..with the active help of Josh i suppose
rfsalem is online now Find More Posts by rfsalem
Old May 11, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
319 Posts
Quote:
You must connect via USB to FC...so what you are doing is correct. You must only run the XAstation and not be running the Config software at the same time as there will be a conflict with the ports. Other than that I cannot help. Sorry
This is what i am doing... no success...thanks though
rfsalem is online now Find More Posts by rfsalem
Old May 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
United Kingdom, Weaverham
Joined Feb 2010
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsalem View Post
This is what i am doing... no success...thanks though
have you tried another laptop or even a pc (to see if it works)
wiggysk10 is offline Find More Posts by wiggysk10
Old May 11, 2011, 12:53 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
488 Posts
I wasn't aware that the gps issue was considered a "fiasco". A "fiasco" is the x720. our quads fly very well better than most on the market. And we all did get free 450's so I think we wait this one out (it's only been a few weeks) before we start defining things as fiascos that's a tad bit dramatic. I was the first in the states to get the gps and also the first to lose their quad in a crash because of it. But let's not forget the constant harassment of Xaircraft to get the gps on the market we rushed and pushed for this product as much they did so be patient.
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Old May 11, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Jun 2004
13 Posts
I have a question about how the compass works. The descriptions are a little confusing, and I would like to clarify.

So, I engage heading hold while the quad is facing East. I push the stick forward. The quad moves father E? I push the stick left. Does the quad slew left while still pointing E?

I'm trying to figure out if heading hold helps with orientation issues.
Slartibartfast is offline Find More Posts by Slartibartfast
Old May 11, 2011, 01:26 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcapsule View Post
I wasn't aware that the gps issue was considered a "fiasco". A "fiasco" is the x720. our quads fly very well better than most on the market. And we all did get free 450's so I think we wait this one out (it's only been a few weeks) before we start defining things as fiascos that's a tad bit dramatic. I was the first in the states to get the gps and also the first to lose their quad in a crash because of it. But let's not forget the constant harassment of Xaircraft to get the gps on the market we rushed and pushed for this product as much they did so be patient.
Well said
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old May 11, 2011, 01:48 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsalem View Post
They sent out X450s to people like me for free who were hardly testers (actually newbe)...i dont think that they were miser on sending out few GPS units for testing... But dont know why they did not..
I have purchased the GPS/Compass and still think they would do some thing and soon..with the active help of Josh i suppose
LOL even though they gave away a bunch of X450 funny thing is only vids I can find on youtube are from Xair and Norf. Looks like nobody else bothered to upload some good vids of their gift LOL. Unless I missed some. maybe anyone who did upload a vid can post it here.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2011, 01:55 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,531 Posts
---Deleted---
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Feb 10, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
edit
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb