current Ublox settings

Enabled in UBX nav section:
NAV-SOL
NAV-POSLLH
NAV-VELNED

NAV-STATUS is NOT enabled

as I said before its set to automotive and 1hz update rate

SBAS is on Auto scan rather than EGNOS

what settings would impair satellite reception?

when changes are sent it wont save after power is cycled, any thoughts?
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 09:53 AM
Multi-Rotor Mad
UK
Joined Jul 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Compass installed and calibrated.

GPS installed and still trying to find a position for the antenna. Looks like I will velcro it to PCB and velcro the PCB to the dome.

GPS took about 4-5 min to find satellites the 1st time, after that it was almost instantaneous. Literately 1 or 2 seconds. And I tried this a few times from different positions.

Will complete tomorrow and then test, if it isn't raining.

I have set the Carefree mode on permanently, because with the Futaba 7C it only has 2 channels that you can allocate switches too. Remind me next time to get a Tx with more channels. But, anyway, the way I have set things up, I don't need any more channels, although it would have been nice to switch carefree off if I wanted.

I tried to use XA station to see which satellites I was connect to and how many, but it did not connect automatically to the GPS. Is there a tab I must use to do this?

Rob
Yes 1st tab , then 1st one down in the 1st tab
Geoff
QuadcoptersUk is offline Find More Posts by QuadcoptersUk
Old May 02, 2011, 10:00 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
there are a bunch of other settings to such as datum and which protocols it should look for and stuff. I expect some of these are wrong too and could be why we are having bad satellite acquisition (it might be looking for the wrong data for our purposes and regional locations)
Josh....did not have a problem finding satellites. Sure, I don't know how many it found, but if the minimum was 4, it found them.

Took as long as my TomTom would take if the batteries were flat and it had to find the satellites again.
Cheers
Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old May 02, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfpv View Post
Yes 1st tab , then 1st one down in the 1st tab
Geoff
Thanks Geoff
Old May 02, 2011, 10:31 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Can not use P.hold when using carefree

Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Compass installed and calibrated.

GPS installed and still trying to find a position for the antenna. Looks like I will velcro it to PCB and velcro the PCB to the dome.

GPS took about 4-5 min to find satellites the 1st time, after that it was almost instantaneous. Literately 1 or 2 seconds. And I tried this a few times from different positions.

Will complete tomorrow and then test, if it isn't raining.

I have set the Carefree mode on permanently, because with the Futaba 7C it only has 2 channels that you can allocate switches too. Remind me next time to get a Tx with more channels. But, anyway, the way I have set things up, I don't need any more channels, although it would have been nice to switch carefree off if I wanted.

I tried to use XA station to see which satellites I was connect to and how many, but it did not connect automatically to the GPS. Is there a tab I must use to do this?

Rob
Rob if you have carefree on at all times you can not use GPS p.hold only can use P.hold when carefree mode is off there's a link in the wiki that say that i will try to find i cant seem two find it i may be wrong but i know i did read that some where may Josh know the answer if not Jingchen can for sure give us a answer Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
Last edited by tom6696950; May 02, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 02, 2011, 10:37 AM
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
294 Posts
Quote:
NAV-SOL
NAV-POSLLH
NAV-VELNED

Josh maybe if we request the changes required to Jingchen, they could be added to a GPS firmware upgrade?

The refresh rate definatly needs to be as fast as poss ie the 4 x a second.
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Old May 02, 2011, 10:45 AM
Suffolk
Joined Dec 2008
294 Posts
Quote:
NAV-SOL
NAV-POSLLH
NAV-VELNED

Josh, good site here. Not sure if it helps?
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...-outputs-ublox
russdelaneyuk is offline Find More Posts by russdelaneyuk
Old May 02, 2011, 10:45 AM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdelaneyuk View Post
Josh maybe if we request the changes required to Jingchen, they could be added to a GPS firmware upgrade?

The refresh rate definatly needs to be as fast as poss ie the 4 x a second.
Josh will it be possible for those kind of changes to be make with firmware upgrades ? Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
Old May 02, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6696950 View Post
Josh will it be possible for those kind of changes to be make with firmware upgrades ? Tom
Josh and Tom.....now that I have set up my GPS, I want to understand it and the refresh rates and what they mean.

I found this website where they have tested a number of GPS's http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/169 . It is an interesting article and survey. I extract one portion for discussion: "Notice how the SUP500F's (light blue) track is not a straight as the others, this is because the position is being updated at 10 times a second compared to one time a second for most of the other receivers. Modules with faster update rates usually work better within faster moving objects."

Now as a lay person, I understand that to mean, the slower you are moving the slower the update rate needed, especially for it to be accurate.

The GPS that Xaircraft have sold us is designed to be only used in the hover mode and that means it will not be travelling at fast speeds, hence accuracy is needed. Whether 1hz or 4hz is the right number, I don't know, but based on what I have being reading, 1hz should be better for accuracy.

It is worth reading the article anyway, because you will see how the accuracy of any GPS is not that great, well, that is, unless you are prepared to spend a couple thousand dollars.

Cheers
Rob
Old May 02, 2011, 11:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
I never heard that anyone is changing the zoom level during RC aerial video.
Even if possible, how do you want to control it? With servos pressing on those tiny buttons? Or CHDK (if that option is available)?

I think the best video, without using a camcorder, you will get by using a GoPro HD with the Sunex(*) lens. Those P&S are good just for stills.

(*)Using it with the stock lens makes sense only when flying very close to the targets, e.g. indoors. Fisheye lenses are useless when flying far from the targets and such videos are horrible and boring (nothing happening or too small to see the changes, extremely curved horizont etc.). Therefore stock lens for indoors or very close range outdoors, like flying between trees. And Sunex lens for more "distant" recordings.

M.
It's not for the zoom, it's the AF I was interested in, but mentioned the zoom also.

I have a GoPro and a Sunex lens although have not fitted that lens as of yet, but will get round to it very soon.. Just a little hesitant taking my almost new £260+ Gopro HD apart and fitting a lens that's better but still has it's limitations including not being able to use the housing without major modifactions.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old May 02, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6696950 View Post
Rob if you have carefree on at all times you can not use GPS p.hold only can use P.hold when carefree mode is off there's a link in the wiki that say that i will try to find i cant seem two find it i may be wrong but i know i did read that some where may Josh know the answer if not Jingchen can for sure give us a answer Tom
Tom....I would be interested in seeing this. Have not noticed it yet. If that is the case, I do have a spare channel that is used for flaps where the input is variable (channel 6). I will just adjust it so the sensitivity is not that great.

Thanks
Rob
Old May 02, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick T View Post
Well, how about an iterative process that does not rely on using a level so much and also corrects for other variables that affect drift:

1: Level the AHRS as best as possible and mark position of frame on work surface
2: Calibrate.
3: Test by flying in still air and noting drift direction
4: Return frame to same exact position on work table and shim in direction to neutralize drift.
5: Repeat 2 thru 5 until no drift seen.
Thanks Derrick and Moom... i would try that
rfsalem is offline Find More Posts by rfsalem
Old May 02, 2011, 12:21 PM
Bournemouth UK
Joined Sep 2010
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
It's not for the zoom, it's the AF I was interested in, but mentioned the zoom also.

I have a GoPro and a Sunex lens although have not fitted that lens as of yet, but will get round to it very soon.. Just a little hesitant taking my almost new £260+ Gopro HD apart and fitting a lens that's better but still has it's limitations including not being able to use the housing without major modifactions.
Have you looked at the Sony NEX-5, just about ok on the X650.
Pjtyros is offline Find More Posts by Pjtyros
Old May 02, 2011, 01:07 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
people with the gps and have the ground station installed:

I would be interested to know how long it takes to acquire say about 4-5 satellites?

then:
close the ground station, power off the gps and power back up straight away and restart the ground station.

how long does it take to reacquire the same amount of satellites?

thanks
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old May 02, 2011, 01:16 PM
Bournemouth UK
Joined Sep 2010
279 Posts
Quote:
people with the gps and have the ground station installed:

I would be interested to know how long it takes to acquire say about 4-5 satellites?

then:
close the ground station, power off the gps and power back up straight away and restart the ground station.

how long does it take to reacquire the same amount of satellites?

thanks
Did this very test yesterday, acquired 7 satellites from cold in about 10min then power off for 2min and restart ground station, result 6 satellited in 1 min back to 7 a few seconds later. Hope this helps, keep up the good work Josh.
Paul
Pjtyros is offline Find More Posts by Pjtyros