HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:53 PM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois View Post
the weather finally got up to 50 deg f. winter is seemly hanging on here in mi. lols. took the quad out for its first real flight. i am a noob quad flier as i have never flown them before. i bought this for my first quad because it looked good to me, lols. i only flew it in hoover mode so far. it goes real fast for me in this mode.....i just want to take my time to learn to fly it, before i go to cruse flight. the video is raw footage right from the gopro. it is very shaky, but i wanted to document my "first real" flight. peace, randy.
http://vimeo.com/22166171
Good flight Randy i think when the GPS comes out with Alit hold it will help in the learning of flight oh and the carefree mode will for sure help nice job for your first real flight Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:04 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad master View Post
why is the go pro wavy in the video my normal point and shoot canon 1100 never had waves like that one. is there a fix to that. i was thinking about getting the go pro but now i am thinking not to buy one.
It all depnds on your mounting and the mode you shoot in. I've found 1080 mode to produce much jello while 720 not to produce any at all.
techcapsule is offline Find More Posts by techcapsule
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdelaneyuk View Post
Ordered my GPS and compass Cant wait to start setting it up.
me too bought mine about 2 weeks ago now really looking forward to it
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:15 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6696950 View Post
Good flight Randy i think when the GPS comes out with Alit hold it will help in the learning of flight oh and the carefree mode will for sure help nice job for your first real flight Tom
yea tom, i think your right.....the alt hold will help me learn to fly quicker. also i am starting to work up the gear i was talking about.....be easier to just make soft landings, lols. randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,228 Posts
I'm guessing the Altitude Hold will be GPS based. My experience with FPV shows GPS altitude as not very accurate. It may be fine for the quads though as you should be able to stay in whatever altitude the GPS is giving when you enter that mode. When flying GPS altitude on my FPV planes I usually ended up landing at 10's of feet (30-70) feet 'lower' than when I took off.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:42 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
altitude hold uses gps and barometric sensors
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:25 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcapsule View Post
It all depnds on your mounting and the mode you shoot in. I've found 1080 mode to produce much jello while 720 not to produce any at all.
I agree with you Tech. I have always used R3 mode (720 60fps), never used R5.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
altitude hold uses gps and barometric sensors
Where is the baro sensor...on the GPS board? Good to here it does use barometric as that should be more accurate than GPS alone. I understand you need to 'shield' the baro from prop wash and such as that can affect it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:01 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Where is the baro sensor...on the GPS board? Good to here it does use barometric as that should be more accurate than GPS alone. I understand you need to 'shield' the baro from prop wash and such as that can affect it.
Hi, I am assuming it has a baro sensor, the prototype did from what I remember, I have not seen close ups of the production version. I guess it must be on the gps board..
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:14 PM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
this is the first test flight of the Y6, the upper motors are RcTimer 2836-11 and are too small to properly control the 12" props. Also the PID was unchanged from the last time I used it in my X650 so that needs some tweaking.

I have 5 X650 motors, I think I should try to get another so that the motors are more matched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKAKtXf3Rbo
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:16 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,228 Posts
That looked pretty good to me Josh. I might go Y6 instead of hex on my home-built.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:23 PM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
Quote:
it will be fine once you eliminate vibrations, make sure all props are balanced and that the camera is well isolated from vibrations.
joshbb, thanks for your input....thanks to you bringing up the prop balance issue, something that totally slipped my mind i found all the props to be out of balance. they seemed to be out the same way, as they took the same amount of tape on the prop c.g. (used vinyl) i hovered in the backyard, and man what a difference!!!. cant wait to fly again. also your hex looks awesome, good job man. peace, randy.
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
this is the first test flight of the Y6, the upper motors are RcTimer 2836-11 and are too small to properly control the 12" props. Also the PID was unchanged from the last time I used it in my X650 so that needs some tweaking.

I have 5 X650 motors, I think I should try to get another so that the motors are more matched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKAKtXf3Rbo
I'm in love. You said you didnt cnc those plates right?
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
476 Posts
Decided to mount and test out my pan and tilt head tracking camera for my Fatshark Goggles today and was quite pleased with the results. This was shot in low light but im quite amazed at the quality of the view from inside the goggles its amazing. Cant wait to get out and fly it tomororrow

Pan and Tilt Head Tracking Camera for UAV (0 min 57 sec)

and another video I shot today quad master this was shot in 720p notice the reduction in jello effect despite the shaky video.
GOPR0042 (2 min 14 sec)
Last edited by techcapsule; Apr 09, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingchen View Post
Hi, i added your mixer to the #2 index post thank you
Glad to help. I'll see if I can get a version of it flying soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaircraft View Post
GPS Module & Compass
That looks great!
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Apr 09, 2011 at 09:21 PM.