HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
79 flights on my Sukhoi V1 with my noisy SP motor. Sad to report two things:

- It's not as noisy at it used to be (wow did I loved that sound)
- I had a glitch on flight 79... After a hard landing (ok.... another crash), the motor would not start again. Tried to flip the prop, etc, no go... That was after 7 hyperions 160 in a row non stop. I thought that was it, so I flew my XP. Came home, and opened it to see if it was a connection that came loose, but everything looked good. Connected a battery, and the motor worked again... Everything seem fine for now so we will have to see on my next flying session (maybe today if I can find a slot somewhere). So first glitch after 79 flights, BUT still counting. (Mostly Hyperions, and about 15% nano-tech).

Also have to report:

- Had a rudder strike and kept flying while flying inverted a weeebit too low (my first)

- Crashed into my big a$$ snake for the first time. Irv will be happy I guess! (people who have seen my videos know what snake I'm talking about!)

- Almost hit myself while flying inverted (though, this is not a first, but wow, that was a great save!)

So, just another boring day at the park! My inverted flight is improving though...
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
I'm not happy I feel for ya, that's one Big and Scarry snake. Hope you got away from him or MAYBE NOT
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Nov 14, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 02:49 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,150 Posts
cirrus out

i was told by the distributor that the manufacturer of the cirrus has discontinued it due to slow sales. i like the concept and the performance for 1 who wants a low weight esc with brake, and i think that maybe the sales dropped due to the too low lvc that hurts the cells.
i have a friend that told me that he can make 1 like the cirrus, with a 3.0 lvc, and am trying to see if this becomes true. i'll keep you posted.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:36 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
i was told by the distributor that the manufacturer of the cirrus has discontinued it due to slow sales. i like the concept and the performance for 1 who wants a low weight esc with brake, and i think that maybe the sales dropped due to the too low lvc that hurts the cells.
i have a friend that told me that he can make 1 like the cirrus, with a 3.0 lvc, and am trying to see if this becomes true. i'll keep you posted.
I'll gladly sell you (or someone) mine...I don't plan on using it again, specifically bcoz of the too low LVC.

Bud, has to buy new batts now Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:46 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
As I was flying my 4Site improved w/ SP motor, I was thinking (how the mind does wander whilst flying)...

With plenty of time till the UMXtra release date...there ought to be enough time for HH to spec a better motor on the plane...perhaps they could source the SP motor even....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11005

(hint hint Dave E. and the HH gang...)

Bud, hinting Bud
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:17 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,150 Posts
comparisons

i have been flying my planes with the 3 kinds of 8.5mm motors that are available: the clear end bell used on the champ; the black end bell used on the 4site, and the grey end bell, that is a solo pro adapted with same pinion gear of the others. this way i have a direct comparison in flight.
so far i have learned that the milder is the clear, and handles well the 160/70 prop with small cells (from 110 to 160). slower flights that match my goal, and longer runs.
the black is more powerful, so requires less throttle, and uses a 130/70 prop. if using the larger 160 the cell can't handle it and the motor quits.
the grey is even more powerful and needs even less throttle. it uses the 130 prop too.
as i fly at no more than 70% throttle on the largest of my Elfs (the 22") and even less on the others, i don't expect as much wear and stress on my motors, so their life should be way more than what some of you guys are getting. this means that there will be less chances to blow any of them. and about their life expectancy, it will take me much more time to reach the end of their life to reach into conclusions. but what is evident is that the solo pro is mightier than the black (and of course than the clear).
and thanks rc babbel for your help with the solo pro.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:47 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,630 Posts
SP motors

Phil,

Happy to help.

Excellent to hear everyone's flight reports.

Couldn't wait any longer on Miracle Mart or HK.

Excited to have more on the way!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2585

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,150 Posts
easy take-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Phil,

Happy to help.

Excellent to hear everyone's flight reports.

Couldn't wait any longer on Miracle Mart or HK.

Excited to have more on the way!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2585

rc
forgot to mention that to try the 3 types on same plane, now am making the removal and installation easier with screws, the way engines are mounted on model airplanes. i started a thread with details about this.
regards
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:19 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,150 Posts
we need to know all

so far, only microheli has opened a motor and showed us the innards, and it was an msr motor (post 22/page 2), but we need to learn exactly which are the details of all, in order to know the differences between the clear, black and grey motors. like: # of winds, wire gauge, brushes size, type; timing, whatever that means more or less power, current, you name it.
in the meantime, we are just speculating.
but how could we do this without having to disect and damage all 3?
i don't know if there is a way to get specifications from manufacturers, considering the vagaries of sources, so i guess we are on our own on this quest.
but at least if some of you guys who has burned a black (i see many commenting this) could open 1 and show photos, as microheli did, we could start to learn something. also, if somebody has a clear that is burned, could do this to it too.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:57 PM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
Anyone try the Value Hobby GForce 15C 170mAh 1S 3.7V LiPO (mSR Replacement) reg $2.49 now on sale for $2.29
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=38
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:08 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivelyJoe View Post
Anyone try the Value Hobby GForce 15C 170mAh 1S 3.7V LiPO (mSR Replacement) reg $2.49 now on sale for $2.29
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=38
I have a hatfull of these- they seem to work fairly well.

I don't know if they are more susceptible to the cold than other batteries, but you need to bag 'em or shield them below 45F or so.

They do seem a bit fragile with regards to over-draining, I have a batch I was merciless with and another batch I was more careful with, the care pays off.

The little black plastic caps tend to fall off and need gluing.

I think their capacity is 'on-spec' if you run mostly less than full-throttle, they don't give full current output for long at full throttle.

They are a bit shorter and wider than most of the other 1s batteries.

They might be a good choice for home-cooked 1S nP larger capacity batteries as they have wire leads going to the connector, unlike most 1S batteries.

Overall, maybe a little bit better than you'd expect for the price.

They were my workhorse until I bolted up a 250mah battery.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:48 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,151 Posts
can't wait to try out my new motor
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:04 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
can't wait to try out my new motor
Eh, do a low/varying RPM bench break-in first, just to be sure.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:53 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,151 Posts
Bud

Are you suggesting this because I have had bad luck with UM motors? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Eh, do a low/varying RPM bench break-in first, just to be sure.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:57 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Bud

Are you suggesting this because I have had bad luck with UM motors? Lol
Didn't know that...but don't feel bad...I haven't had the best luck w/ HH motors either, excluding the mSR motor in the mSR...which I average about a motor every three months in the winter (when it gets heavy usage).

And...IMO...I am noticing more power w/ the SP motor...my heavy dawg 4S can actually hover for quite a few seconds on a fresh batt. Guess I got a "grade A" handpicked one. (RG)

Bud, grade A Bud