HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:01 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Back in my Walkera days, I was going through brushed motors like chewing gum.
Check out what EQMOD came up with.
Pretty impressive!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940227

rc
Pretty impressive is not the right term... CRAZY impressive is more like it. WOW
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:36 AM
Joined Jul 2006
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
thank you very much. terrific details.

now, do you think that the motor has some advance timing?
is there a way to check it?
can it be changed?
No but you can compare to SP or other motors if you see differences or carbon brushes like supposed.
Quote:
if rotating the other way (like on a pusher), do the brushes work fine? i can't see exactly how they fit, that's why i ask. still, for what i can see, i think that the springs are made for the motor to turn on certain direction, and not the other way. just an impression.
regards
I think it's designed to spin anticlockwise (view from behind)
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,359 Posts
post 32

thanks for the advice. i think that eventually it will be necessary to open each type and then compare, to be absolutely sure.
regards
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:01 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Harbor Freights' latest flyer has a 20% off everything in the store coupon.

But why bother measuring anything? Slap it in and go...lol!

Got my two SP motors today...but gonna wait till my gear puller comes, don't wanna do the "penny trick" install this time around...

Rumours of a "street" price of $99 on the UMXtra...... yeahhh, bay-bee!

Maidened the HK freebie today...windy, of course..but it flew well!

RC- Remember I get your weather first...and I'm hear to tell ya....get yer winter woolies out...we had snow @ 3500ft two nights ago....28degF last night. Blek.

Bud, all-weather pilot Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:17 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,359 Posts
harbor freights

Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Harbor Freights' latest flyer has a 20% off everything in the store coupon.

But why bother measuring anything? Slap it in and go...lol!

Got my two SP motors today...but gonna wait till my gear puller comes, don't wanna do the "penny trick" install this time around...

Rumours of a "street" price of $99 on the UMXtra...... yeahhh, bay-bee!

Maidened the HK freebie today...windy, of course..but it flew well!

RC- Remember I get your weather first...and I'm hear to tell ya....get yer winter woolies out...we had snow @ 3500ft two nights ago....28degF last night. Blek.

Bud, all-weather pilot Bud
the harbor freights i find is for tools. it is the only 1 i see. if there is another 1 for hobbies, tell us the email.
and we had cats and dogs falling here too.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:51 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,164 Posts
So that's the reason why the SP motors are out of stock...

Interesting to hear those remarks about differences in noise levels. I've had the same experience in the Solo Pro, but at first thought the noise difference was mostly due to the main gear, resistance of the swashplate bearing, etc. But if noise differs dramatically in a simple application like this, it must be the motor. Seems like with most Chinese products you can get an average part, a bad part, or a much better than average part. On of my SPs hovers at under 35% throttle with a fresh battery (also happens to be the noisiest one) and another needs just under 45% with the same battery (but is much more quiet). Lessons learned:

1) do test your new motor before putting the "expensive" pinion on
2) more noise doesn't have to mean a less powerful motor
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:06 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
the harbor freights i find is for tools. it is the only 1 i see. if there is another 1 for hobbies, tell us the email.
and we had cats and dogs falling here too.
yep, there can be only one... Harbor Freight sells tools...but I source some of my other hobby related stuff there too....e.g. their excellent universal battery charger:

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery...ger-47618.html

also, cheap throw-away "artist" paint brushes, for epoxy...more stuff I can't think of right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Seems like with most Chinese products you can get an average part, a bad part, or a much better than average part.

Yah, RC bought 'em all up and is making a killing selling them to his UM Mustang buds....lol j/k!

Yep, an extra added dimension to the hobby, trying Chinese stuff (ain't it all, now?)...motor roulette, anyone?

FWIW- don't bother trying an mSr heli motor in the UM planes....I did, lasted 4 flights. (yes I changed the gear) Loved the echoing death-screech in the cavernous gym! lol!

Bud, waiting-on-a-gear-puller Bud
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:12 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post

Interesting to hear those remarks about differences in noise levels. I've had the same experience in the Solo Pro, but at first thought the noise difference was mostly due to the main gear, resistance of the swashplate bearing, etc. But if noise differs dramatically in a simple application like this, it must be the motor. Seems like with most Chinese products you can get an average part, a bad part, or a much better than average part. On of my SPs hovers at under 35% throttle with a fresh battery (also happens to be the noisiest one) and another needs just under 45% with the same battery (but is much more quiet). Lessons learned:

1.-how do we test a motor? with a prop?
2.- what do we check: amps/volts-what?
3.-what are we looking for?
4.-which are the signs of a good motor-or a bad 1?

especially if the amount of noise means nothing-necessarily
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:10 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,164 Posts
Quote:
1.-how do we test a motor? with a prop?
2.- what do we check: amps/volts-what?
3.-what are we looking for?
4.-which are the signs of a good motor-or a bad 1?

especially if the amount of noise means nothing-necessarily
If you can measure thrust, put a prop on it, and see what motor gives the best results. Otherwise, you can test RPM with a prop on it, which is a good indication as well, higher RPM means more thrust. If you don't have RPM meter, use your ears, you can usually hear if a motor turns the prop faster, especially when you alter between motors within a few seconds.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:34 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
If you run a brushed motor up without a load (prop) you may overspeed it and kill it, as far as I know.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:51 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Having a look at my SP motors...now I know why RCB wanted super-small shrink tube for the job...the SP motor wires are a smaller gauge even than the stock HH motor wires! (30ga? 32?)

I may just solder an HH pigtail directly to the SP connector pins and shrink tube over them...weight increase should be minimal. :shrug:

I like that the endcap is gray....shows it's hopefully a bit different...

gear puller came today...gonna do the deed when I get home tonight.

Oh, PS...I used 6 min epoxy instead of slow-cure...less time worrying about drips down into the motor, as you sit there staring cross-eyed at the epoxy whilst holding motor upside down.

Bud, doing the deed Bud
Last edited by maukabud; Oct 28, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:25 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
SP love...

Just flew three 4Site flights on the SP motor w/ 4S pinion gear...not bad...not bad at all. (edit: 6 flights now) Feels similar to all the other HH motors, a little lower pitched sound, maybe a tad more oomph. (as RC said, can just about hover)

5:30min flights, Hyp 180s' and Turnigy Nano 160s' (the nanos seem to be working out very well...160s' in the 4S and 130s' in the mSr). NO Cirrus external ESC.

Did a low RPM "bench break-in" w/ prop (GWS 5X4.3) on first (ok ok...I taxied around my garage and kitchen floors also)

very thin layer of 6min epoxy on motor shaft first, then the act of sliding it on creates just enough of an "epoxy ring" on the back side of the gear...finished up w/ a little dab on the front side of gear and shaft, for good measure.

soldered a 4S long pigtail directly to the SP motor connector pins...then 1.5mm heatshrink over them...easy cheezy! (pics tomorrow?) IMO this method is easier than trying to strip and solder those really fine gauge SP wires.

motor came down much cooler than any other I've used (tried em all!)...but that may be due to the fact that's it's fall and the gym isn't heated, I figure it's around 58deg F. (don't wanna turn on the heat out there...I need my still air lol!)

conclusion: yep, it's worth it...just take your time w/ all the little fiddly steps.

Bud, fiddly Bud
Last edited by maukabud; Oct 29, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:55 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,425 Posts
soldered a 4S long pigtail directly to the SP motor connector pins

Pink Bud,

Isn't that cheating?

Sort of like a 'farmer fix?'

Got any bailing wire on that 4S??

Keep us posted on your flight totals.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Oct 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:59 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Got any bailing wire on that 4S??

Keep us posted on your flight totals.

rc
LOL, no but I do have some CA'd "heavy duty" upholstery thread holding the wing carbon "X" braces together. (they only had manly black, not girly pink)

Now at 12 flights, holding strong...I think the motor is actually performing better, getting broken in perhaps. Or maybe it's the new batts getting broken in. Or both.

Oh, I forgot- I also tinned (very thinly) the pigtail to board connector pins...not really sure if it's helping (too many changes at once again lol), but every little bit helps.

Drat, it's really starting to get cold out in the gym...

SP motor will be the first mod for the UMXtra, fo shua!

Bud, 13th flight comin right up Bud
Last edited by maukabud; Oct 30, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:35 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Drat, it's really starting to get cold out in the gym...
Would you stop with that?

Some of us do not have the luxury to fly in a gym... My last 5 flying sessions have been below freezing point, and too windy... In fact, right now, it does look like there's not even one spot on earth that is not windy. That's when it doesn't rain I would be happy to fly in a freezer, as long as it was big enough and it has 4 walls and a ceiling...

I've intalled a SP motor in my old Sukhoi, but the few minutes I can fly here and there, I would rather go with my XP, Mustang, 4-Site, etc... So no SP testing for me for now.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler