HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:04 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Got my three today as well, putting them in the Champ, Mustang, and T-28. As long as they are all okay, crossing my fingers! Need to get a gear puller as well.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Tested the five I got today all sound good..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:59 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Just went down and installed the beastie in the Champ, motor sounds great. There is a lot more, LOT MORE, noise from the gears and there is definitely more resistence when spinning the prop with my finger. Has a lot more pull!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:29 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
I got mine too. grey ends. My pinions are not up against the motor, and was able to extract them with the micro puller. I put the first motor into the T-28, and it ran erratically at low RPM's, and would shutoff and not want to restart. So I swapped it out with a second motor, and it runs so much better. Unfortunately, there's a lot of wind and a rain storm inbound here in Phoenix, so I won't be able to fly today, (and probably not tomorrow either).

The motor/gearbox is making a fair bit of noise. I think there's a slight alignment issue with the pinion and the main gear (of the gearbox). Any rate, this new motor is peppy to say the least. I'm anxious to take here out and see what happens. I've taxied it around in the garage, and into the driveway. It wants to leap for the air!

I'll keep you guys posted if the weather breaks, and I can get out.

-jav

Hey -jav,

Were you able to get a nice/precise fit with the 9 tooth pinion on the SP motor shaft?

By nice fit, I mean no play at all before you glue it.
A smooth slide on fit.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Could the gears be located too close together- the teeth on one bottoming out between the teeth of the other?

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Could the gears be located too close together- the teeth on one bottoming out between the teeth of the other?

Dave

Dave,

It's certainly possible if the 9T pinion was to have some extra play in it.

I have about 20 RTF motors being flown out there right now and haven't heard a complaint yet.
My personal SP motors in my Sukhoi and mSR run very smooth.
I don't detect any difference in gear mesh vs the stock set-up.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:56 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post

Dave
You should be able to adjust the gear mesh (a little) by rotating the motor in the mount. Few motors are perfectly round and you can use that to your advantage by rotating the motor 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn and checking the gear mesh until you get it free of binding.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:06 AM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Tested the five I got today all sound good..
I tested my first two, under load. (swapped out the pinion's, and put a prop on it). The 1st motor spun up, but just would not hold a low rpm throttle. motor number two is a rocket, and wants to bust out of the gearbox. I'll let you now how the flight goes. just waiting for the weather to clear. my park is flooded at the moment.
javelina is offline Find More Posts by javelina
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:07 AM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
You should be able to adjust the gear mesh (a little) by rotating the motor in the mount. Few motors are perfectly round and you can use that to your advantage by rotating the motor 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn and checking the gear mesh until you get it free of binding.
I'm going to try that, thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Hey -jav,

Were you able to get a nice/precise fit with the 9 tooth pinion on the SP motor shaft?

By nice fit, I mean no play at all before you glue it.
A smooth slide on fit.

rc
It did go on just fine. One thing I forgot to mention. My gearbox housing, (the portion where the motor slides into), had a crack. So the motor housing was starting to separate, and I had to CA it to close the gap. I'm sure that has everything to do with it. I'll need to order a new gearbox at some point.

there is definitely a bit of torque on this new motor. can't wait to take her out.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Should have put in- I had a UM T28 gearbox where the prop shaft was too close to the motor- rotating the motor did not help, tried swapping bits piece by piece with spare champ bits, same gear/propshaft/motor did not bind in a champ gearbox. had to swap the plastic gearbox frame.

Either one or both the brass bushings were drilled off-center, or the plastic casting itself was flawed.

With these parts, noticeable manufacturing variation is the rule, not the exception.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:03 PM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Ok, so I took a shot with my third motor. To my mistake, it's original pinion is up against the housing. So extraction will be a b****. So I said the heck with it, leave it on, and just put the PZ pinion on in front of it. So I did. It's about 1/2 way on the shaft, but with the other pinion to butt up against, it's keeping everything true (no eccentric rotation or anything). And just to play it safe, I put a dab of CA into the I.D. and motor shaft tip. Everything lines up just right with the PZ pinion and the prop drive gear. Full mesh, and everything is on centerline.

I made it out for two flights, (a lull in the weather). This motor does feel a bit more powerful. I kept one battery at 1/2 throttle, and was able to zip along at a fast clip. Loops, barrel roles, all good. had about a 5 mph wind, but no problem there.

Put in a second battery, did some touch and goes. Then did a few passes at WOT and pulled up. Seemed to hang on the prop for quite a bit, then finally stalled out. If this motor gets a little more power after break in, I can almost see this bird hanging on that prop WOT, (well, almost).

any rate, I'm very happy with the motor, and my UM T-28 is back in business. I'll keep a flight log on the amount of flights & flight time I get out of this motor. So far, two batteries and about 12 minutes of flight time. (30 seconds WOT).

I'm going to put another 3 or 4 batteries at 1/2 throttle, (maybe a good break-in?).

Also, if you have any of these motors with the original pinion butted up against the motor housing, leave it. Just put your PZ pinion in front of it, and apply your adhesive of choice.

Merry Christmas, and happy flying

-jav
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Ok, so I took a shot with my third motor. To my mistake, it's original pinion is up against the housing. So extraction will be a b****. So I said the heck with it, leave it on, and just put the PZ pinion on in front of it. So I did. It's about 1/2 way on the shaft, but with the other pinion to butt up against, it's keeping everything true (no eccentric rotation or anything). And just to play it safe, I put a dab of CA into the I.D. and motor shaft tip. Everything lines up just right with the PZ pinion and the prop drive gear. Full mesh, and everything is on centerline.

I made it out for two flights, (a lull in the weather). This motor does feel a bit more powerful. I kept one battery at 1/2 throttle, and was able to zip along at a fast clip. Loops, barrel roles, all good. had about a 5 mph wind, but no problem there.

Put in a second battery, did some touch and goes. Then did a few passes at WOT and pulled up. Seemed to hang on the prop for quite a bit, then finally stalled out. If this motor gets a little more power after break in, I can almost see this bird hanging on that prop WOT, (well, almost).

any rate, I'm very happy with the motor, and my UM T-28 is back in business. I'll keep a flight log on the amount of flights & flight time I get out of this motor. So far, two batteries and about 12 minutes of flight time. (30 seconds WOT).

I'm going to put another 3 or 4 batteries at 1/2 throttle, (maybe a good break-in?).

Also, if you have any of these motors with the original pinion butted up against the motor housing, leave it. Just put your PZ pinion in front of it, and apply your adhesive of choice.

Merry Christmas, and happy flying

-jav
A dremel tool with a cutoff wheel would make short work of the old pinion. It's not like you need to save it for anything.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,885 Posts
10mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Yes Sir.

I'll order a few in and throw one in my 4-site.
I would love just a little more hover power in that plane.

Oh yes, here we go again!

rc
are you talking of the bravo ne sx?
isn't the motor larger in diameter (seems 10mm) than the sp? then, how did you manage to install it in the 4s mount? or you have a mount that takes 10mm motors? sometimes i get lost in this alphabet soup.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:10 PM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
are you talking of the bravo ne sx?
isn't the motor larger in diameter (seems 10mm) than the sp? then, how did you manage to install it in the 4s mount? or you have a mount that takes 10mm motors? sometimes i get lost in this alphabet soup.
thanks
Nope, the SP and OEM motors have the same OD housing size. Fit in the gearbox just fine.

Ops, sorry, you were replying to someone else. my bad.

-jav