HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:33 PM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Just thinking out loud.... I presume once you epoxy or JB weld the former PZ pinion to the SP motor, its as good as permanent. So if the SP ever goes south, then you'll have to hunt down another dead PZ motor to pull its pinion for another reuse. (Expoxy or JB weld would be too hard to break loose).
javelina is offline Find More Posts by javelina
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
yes - not sure if it'll come off after jb sets or not - havent tried

CA would also hold it on, BUT is not as strong as JB weld - so would a person want to take that gamble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Just thinking out loud.... I presume once you epoxy or JB weld the former PZ pinion to the SP motor, its as good as permanent. So if the SP ever goes south, then you'll have to hunt down another dead PZ motor to pull its pinion for another reuse. (Expoxy or JB weld would be too hard to break loose).
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:53 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
It would come off. No epoxy is strong enough when the "irresistable force" of the gear puller is applied.

Epoxy actually kind of "peels" quite easily...the way I would get it off would be to use an old #11 blade, peel up and cut off the dab of epoxy I put on the front side of the pinion/shaft, then use the puller. Then cut/peel the old epoxy from all the parts...good ta go, eazy cheezy.

Don't forget to prep the pinion w/ denatured alcohol before the next install.

Bud, eazy cheezy Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Last edited by maukabud; Dec 10, 2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: alcohol has an "L" lol!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
It would come off. No epoxy is strong enough when the "irresistable force" of the gear puller is applied.

Epoxy actually kind of "peels" quite easily...the way I would get it off would be to use an old #11 blade, peel up and cut off the dab of epoxy I put on the front side of the pinion/shaft, then use the puller. Then cut/peel the old epoxy from all the parts...good ta go, eazy cheezy.

Don't forget to prep the pinion w/ denatured acohol before the next install.

Bud, eazy cheezy Bud
gnarly, thanks for the info. I'll go with epoxy. Should have my SP motors by next weekend, along with the micro puller.

amazing what you acquire over time with this hobby.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Hurry hurry kidz get your SP motors in stock @ HK while they last:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11005

betcha they're gone by Monday.

maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:44 PM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
Quote:

Don't forget to prep the pinion w/ denatured alcohol before the next install.

Bud, eazy cheezy Bud
or.....

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-10...ompound/Detail
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:17 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Hurry hurry kidz get your SP motors in stock @ HK while they last:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11005

betcha they're gone by Monday.

Beware, I could take that bet!!! I posted about them being in stock on December 6th, 5 days ago (msg: 132), and they have been in stock since then.... Basically, they have filled all the orders that came in while they were back ordered, and they still show stock after almost a week, so I guess we are now good for a while with those motors. I guess they got many hundreds since they are small items to put on a shelf...
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:11 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
if appropriate lift do you think this motor/pinion combo could fly a 40-50 gram plane?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:19 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
I am reasonably sure that it would because isn't that what the AUW of a Champ with a camera weighs?
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:26 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
true

I finished building a UM Sumo with this motor and she dont fly for crap.

too heavy or not enough light I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc crashburn View Post
I am reasonably sure that it would because isn't that what the AUW of a Champ with a camera weighs?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:43 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
I just wanted to pop in and post my results.

I sent RCBabbel (Roger) seven dead motors. He quickly sent me back two, ready to go SP motors. They work beautifully, and I mean that in every sense: reliability, power, smoothness, and noise. The first thing that I noticed when I got my Sukhoi up with the SP motor was just how quiet and smooth everything was compared to the HH motors. It just sounds happier to be in the air.

The only strange thing is that, without warning, the RX just kills the motor and I have to bring it in for a deadstick. The light is flashing and won't arm the motor again, so I assume that I am drawing too many amps. This only happens after a few minutes of flying. Note that I am running my Hyperion 180s in 25F weather. I'm sure it's just the cold.

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,480 Posts
Yikes, this would confirm that getting a SP motor is like getting an original motor.... You never know what you gonna get next

You have one that is drawing more current (I've seen that in the original motors as well). I have one that is as noisy as a lawnmower. That's from a relatively small pool of samples.

Still, I have some more coming in anyway. At almost the third of the price of an original here in Canada, I would not mind if one was a dud every now and then. Still lots cheaper than the original anyway!

Have to ask the usual stupid question: Are you sure it's not the gears that are too thight?
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:16 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Yikes, this would confirm that getting a SP motor is like getting an original motor.... You never know what you gonna get next

You have one that is drawing more current (I've seen that in the original motors as well). I have one that is as noisy as a lawnmower. That's from a relatively small pool of samples.

Still, I have some more coming in anyway. At almost the third of the price of an original here in Canada, I would not mind if one was a dud every now and then. Still lots cheaper than the original anyway!

Have to ask the usual stupid question: Are you sure it's not the gears that are too thight?
You know, it very well could be. I'll have to give it a shot. It really isn't that much of a bother, but it isn't good for the electronics and should be solved.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:31 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Got 4 SP motors today after waiting three weeks...ordered 4 more... Gear-puller should be here by Friday...Already have replaced one stock Champ motor and a T28...Am down to just two stock spares.. Can't WAIT to see how these do as replacements and for fresh-builds!!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:10 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,595 Posts
Brent,

Excellent!

We need more feedback on these motors.

I couldn't be happier with mine!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL