SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 07, 2010, 05:15 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
maukabud's Avatar
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
I've gotten the GWS micro gear puller...works great! A bit spendy, but hey what the heck, my 4Site has a new lease on life!

around 100 flights on the SP motor now...sounds even a little more "growly" then when new...and runnin' strong...likes it!


Three more SP motors on the way for me...that should keep both my 4S and mSr running all winter.


Bud, growly Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 05:26 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
anyone figure out the thrust of this motor vs the UMP51 - suk xp motor?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:28 PM
They took the bar
javelina's Avatar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
subscribed... (bought the micro puller, and a few of the SP motors for my UM's)

Great thread!
javelina is offline Find More Posts by javelina
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:43 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
I also bought a puller and am awaiting the pin vise mini drill to bore out the pinion to get back onto the motor shafts lol

heat doesnt work well
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:02 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
maukabud's Avatar
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I also bought a puller and am awaiting the pin vise mini drill to bore out the pinion to get back onto the motor shafts lol

heat doesnt work well
a standard manual fingertip type drill works fine...brass is soft.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:11 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
i dont have any bit that small yet - but can prob borrow one from someone.

also - another issue i am having

some of the SP motor pinions are so close to the motor can that the puller plate wont fit between can and pinion. Even a par if thin needle nose pillers wont either

damn, damn, double damn

I built an UM Sumo and can't fly it - no motor


Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
a standard manual fingertip type drill works fine...brass is soft.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:13 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
maukabud's Avatar
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
i dont have any bit that small yet - but can prob borrow one from someone.

also - another issue i am having

some of the SP motor pinions are so close to the motor can that the puller plate wont fit between can and pinion. Even a par if thin needle nose pillers wont either

damn, damn, double damn
Huh that's strange...both of mine have plenty of clearance clarence...

ummm..not to insult yer intelligence...not putting them in backward are you?

EDIT: you could always start with the hacksawed penny trick...to get enough clearance (clarence) for the puller.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:16 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
lol putting what in backwards?

the puller plate only goes on one way?


Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Huh that's strange...both of mine have plenty of clearance clarence...

ummm..not to insult yer intelligence...not putting them in backward are you?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:24 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
maukabud's Avatar
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Yeah...guess it could only fit one way...lol...

see my edit above...if there's enough room between the can and pinion for a slotted penny to fit in you could start it that way...

But maybe you should use an American penny...it's not worth as much as a Canadien penny anymore...lol...and mostly zinc or something to boot.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:30 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
LOL

I am not sure if even a penny would work - but i could try that trick

thanks for tip!

All i am trying to so is bring the pinion out further to fit a UM PZ gear box as i dont have any pz pinions to spare.

i know the SP pinion isnt 9 tooth, but i figured i'd try it in on the gear box anyways lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Yeah...guess it could only fit one way...lol...

see my edit above...if there's enough room between the can and pinion for a slotted penny to fit in you could start it that way...

But maybe you should use an American penny...it's not worth as much as a Canadien penny anymore...lol...and mostly zinc or something to boot.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:36 AM
They took the bar
javelina's Avatar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
probably been asked, but is there a source for the pinions (that will work with the PZ UM setups)? I'm going to reuse the pinion of my dead UM T-28 motor. Was hoping there was another source.

TIA,
-jav
javelina is offline Find More Posts by javelina
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:42 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
the pz um motors have a longer shaft than the SP motors do

seeing that this is the case - which motor really has more muscle? lol
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:20 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
The way the pinion is fixed on all these motors, SP or original, can give us a good idea of how cheap they are... With both types of motors, I got pinions all over the place. Sometime the shaft is protruding, sometime it's the pinion that is out a bit (that so great because the puller is much easier to align) and sometime they are flush.

I had one SP motor like Razor Edge where the puller barely fitted under the pinion as well... It's basically a lottery!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:36 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
fun eh mon amis?

I managed to get this one off, but it no work in pz gear box

I know this has been tried by others before but i thought I might get lucky for once lol.

Not soo much.

Will have to wait I suppose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The way the pinion is fixed on all these motors, SP or original, can give us a good idea of how cheap they are... With both types of motors, I got pinions all over the place. Sometime the shaft is protruding, sometime it's the pinion that is out a bit (that so great because the puller is much easier to align) and sometime they are flush.

I had one SP motor like Razor Edge where the puller barely fitted under the pinion as well... It's basically a lottery!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:29 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,358 Posts
well i managed to get the pinion of the SP motor and found an older 9th PZ pinion, honed it out and stuck on motor shaft of sp motor with some JB.

Now the waiting game.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade MSR or Nine eagles solo Pro jtravel Coaxial Helicopters 2 Oct 18, 2010 07:45 AM
For Sale Nine Eagles Solo Pro II V5 Deluxe Kit (Price update) iflabs Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Oct 10, 2010 06:13 PM
Wanted Nine (9) Eagles Solo Pro - 'copter only. emarkay Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 07, 2010 12:00 PM
Discussion Revell Proto MAX RTF/Nine Eagles Solo Pro RTF $69.99 at Tower Hobbies Firehawk989 Hot Online Deals 1 Sep 29, 2010 01:16 AM
Wanted Nine Eagles Solo pro radio flyerjs Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Sep 20, 2010 05:10 PM