HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:33 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I have just bought a um 4-site and was wondering if there will be an airframe only version of this aircraft for people who already have equipment from an 4-site.
They had one for a while, but it seem they pulled it out... I guess it's because it will be back order for as long as they will be able to sell full airplanes...

Replacement Airframe: UMX Extra 300 3D
$55.99 [EFLU1070]
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:08 PM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,218 Posts
Wait, if you bought a PNP 4-Site and a replacment Extra 300 Airframe, you could get the Extra for cheaper, and have the 4-Site to fly till they come out with the extra. Hmmm.....
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:28 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Especially considering I only paid $65 at my local hobby shop for a brand new pnp um 4-site.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:33 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth View Post
Guys,

This comes like the rest of our Ultra Micros. 100% Pre-assembled at the factory, and it will fit in the box entirely assembled like all other micros. Just pull it out of the box, charge the pack, bind it to your DSM2 radio, setup the dual rates and expo, and go have a good time!

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
Nice job Seth, don't forget to bring one for me next week.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:37 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
From the flight videos and seeing how large those ailerons and other control surfaces are it looks like this plane will have better 3d performance than the um 4-site. Although I hope they offer it as an airframe only version also, because I do not want to have to pay for everything I already have again. I am defiantly starting to like E-flight planes again, it seems they are coming out with a lot of really good airplanes. I hope they design a 5.0 ounce foamy for my hacker A10-9L using this building technique, now that would be great.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:11 PM
United States, MI, Davison
Joined May 2010
546 Posts
isn't it going to be hard to hover? the shorter a plane the less stable it is to hover and i would assume harrier. i want one though, i've never had a 3D but have been wanting one for a while and i'm no a newbie
AnbuPunk is offline Find More Posts by AnbuPunk
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
I can not speck about how the umx extra 300 fly's as I do not own one, but my um 4-site harriers fairly easily with little wing rock. If you have never owned a 3D plane before you should still be fine flying something like this as long as you have flown a plane with ailerons. if you have to you could just turn the rates down a little. If you are looking for a plane to learn 3D on I would suggest a bigger foamy made of EPP.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:07 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
I do like my 4-site, but it is essentially a 1.25oz plane with about 1.5oz of thrust on a fresh battery and new prop, most any other true 3D foamie has a thrust to weight ratio of 2X or more. This gives very little power to pull out or hold a hover, or power through knife edge loops, harriers, and most other post stall move that require a lot of power. After about 15 seconds of hovering, or about 2 minutes of flight the stock battery on mine doesn't have enough to hover at all, although Thunder power 160mahs do help a bit, and "tuning" the prop that tends to flatten over time and lose thrust. I learned to hover by pulsing the throttle to give a little boost to flight controls, and to add some stability to the hover, with a plane that barely has enough to hover in the first place this doesn't really work. The videos look cool, and it looks like the UM extra should do awesome spins, harriers and rolls, but it's pullout from a hover seems pretty much the same as the 4-site, not too good at all. It should be a fun alternative/sucessor to the 4-site, and wrapping the new airframe around 4-site guts just may be a very inexpensive way to "upgrade" from a beat up 4-site. $56 for an airframe is easy to swallow, or even $100 for BNF/or BNF sans charger and battery as most every other UM that is comparable to this costs. Pricing it on par with the UMX Beast (and double the 4-site) but without the more expensive brushless hardware seems to make it overpriced IMO, and it really has nothing new except for the airframe, IMO a more powerful geared brushed, geared BL inrunner or an outrunner would have justified the price.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Oct 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:02 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
I do have to agree that I feel this plane is a bit over priced. But if they had replacement airframes for around the $50 range I would get one as a replacement for my um 4-site. I think the umx extra 300 may perform 3d better than the 4-site due to the fact it weight less. But until these things come out and people start flying them there will be no way to tell.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:02 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
I do have to agree that I feel this plane is a bit over priced. But if they had replacement airframes for around the $50 range I would get one as a replacement for my um 4-site. I think the umx extra 300 may perform 3d better than the 4-site due to the fact it weight less. But until these things come out and people start flying them there will be no way to tell.
Agreed, it does look to have a bit better pullout than the UM 4-site judging by the video in post #31, but it looks like after about 1:30 it is really struggling to pull out of hovers, and after that the hovers are kept pretty short. Of course being 10% lighter would help, it would improve the TW ratio from pathetic to anemic. Most 3d profile planes hover at about 1/2 throttle, going full throttle, they pull out and pick up speed pretty quick, the 4 site normally hovers at about 75% on a fresh battery, but going full throttle only allows it to drift upwards pretty slow not much power over 3/4 throttle, and it runs out of steam after about 10-20 feet. Of course we will have to fly it to see how much better it is than the 4-site, but the good thing is that being lighter it will be an improvement, how much remains to be determined.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:36 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
I see that E-flight is now offering a replacement airframe for $71, now when I wreck my 4-site I can get one of these. My question to the people at E-flight is what all will the replacement airframe come with? What else would I have to get if I already own a um 4-site and want to upgrade?
Last edited by 3Daddict; Oct 29, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
where do you see them offering it for 60 bucks? It says 71 on the us site??!
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:41 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
I just rechecked and you are right it is $71 I mush have got the price messed up sorry about that, my bad.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:49 PM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,218 Posts
So they up'd the price of the airframe from $55 to $71? They must have read my comment on how to get one cheaper
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Oct 29, 2010, 03:02 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
Yes, and I can tell you at $71 I will not be getting one of these, I would of for $55 but $71 is just too much for a pice of foam this small. Still if this thing does fly as good as the videos lead on I may look into them later.