HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:02 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Build Log
STARMAX "F-16" 90mm EDF- latest flying report.

Friend of mine recently purchased Starmax F16 90mm EDF so I have rushed to have a good look at it as I was thinking buying one for some time. In my area there's nobody flying EDF's so I am delighted that both of us might now give some inspiration to some local flyers. Over the years I have built large fleet of jets models from little foamies to larger jet turbines but this particuller model really grabbed my attention. Immaculatelly presented being a real eye catcher. Prior to my purchase I read some bad reviews, but as this kit comes with all servos, power unit, esc and landing gear installed at such low cost I had to have it. My first intention was to rip out all the gear and upgrade it to 8S 3-4Kwatt set up. Curently I am experimenting with various fan/ motor combination and possibly might install very popular Stumax, SM90 but it is still subject to availability and more tests. So in the meantime I started to replace hinges on some control surfaces and decided to seal of the moving leading wing edge which I find unnecessary. I also find that this control would need 4 extra servos for safe operation at high speeds. The power unit ply formers had to be removed while being very porly glued in place. Due to the larger, heavier batteries I am going to use the EDF unit will have to be placed further back and also new thrust tube willbe installed for more efficiency. Rear elevator attachement area willbe reinforced with aditionall ply formers so I had to cut out some foam along both sides. I dont like the power leads and lot of plug connectors so I am going to replace most by soldering most of wire connections and installing new plugs to fit my RX. I find supplied plugs are very difficulte to insert in to the receiver. Had enough for one sitting, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Last edited by jofro; May 13, 2013 at 04:12 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:49 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi jofro.
I just received mine from HC and I like to start building.
I will fly it with 6S LiPo, but I will change the motor/fan and servos.
What servos you use?
Best
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Hi Takis, I' am installing in my EL. metal/g, "Blue Bird BMS 38" but IMO any small 3+kg servo will do. Make sure you upgrade all push rods to min.1.5mm. If I was going to hook up front leading edge I would use 2, small servos on each end. Stock gear may handle 6S set up but I wouln't bet for very long, Joe.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:18 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
HI.
I put a ChangeSun 1600W 2.6kg thrust 1900KV motor with 90mm Fan Unit and Inolab 2.5 Kg digital MG servos.
I think I am going to use EPF DSR, since the Changesun seem weak with 3 mm rod they have.
I am looking for struts. Any suggestions?
Best
Takis
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
HI.
I put a ChangeSun 1600W 2.6kg thrust 1900KV motor with 90mm Fan Unit and Inolab 2.5 Kg digital MG servos.
I think I am going to use EPF DSR, since the Changesun seem weak with 3 mm rod they have.
I am looking for struts. Any suggestions?
Best
Takis
What do you mean by 3mm rod?, you mean shaft? What do you mean by struts, be more specific, Joe.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:00 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi jofro.
This thread is our chat room!
I have Changesun DSR (60$) that have 3 mm shaft where I can put the struts (what to choose?).
I also have EPF DSR with 5.5 mm shaft, more robust, better quality, 150$.
I also found in Hobbycity new DSR stronger then Changesun, I ordered a set and wait to see what I will get.
My main concern is the retracts/struts, since are long and in an angle, so will be stressed in not perfect landing that will arrive sooner or later.
Best
Takis
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:54 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
Hi jofro.
This thread is our chat room!
I have Changesun DSR (60$) that have 3 mm shaft where I can put the struts (what to choose?).
I also have EPF DSR with 5.5 mm shaft, more robust, better quality, 150$.
I also found in Hobbycity new DSR stronger then Changesun, I ordered a set and wait to see what I will get.
My main concern is the retracts/struts, since are long and in an angle, so will be stressed in not perfect landing that will arrive sooner or later.
Best
Takis
I would go for that 5.5mm shaft, landing gear is also my main concern and I doubt with my 8S set up I willbe able to fly it off the grass but sealed runway willbe fine. I will spend some time upgrading the land/gear but I'm not at that stage yet. Today I have installed new hinges and blocked off, sealed LE sluts which I find unnecessary for this size foamie, IMO even flaps are bit of a fancy. I'm doing lot of new wireing for 2/5 AIL. and 3/8 EL. hook up. Joe.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:20 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
More work done today, I have hooked up AIL. and FLAPS using stock push rods but adding extra easy connectors to replace "Z"bends. Flaps are working great with 4 sec. slow servo, operated by slide lever to whatever position I like. I also pulled apart landing gear, greased oleo springs and secured all screws and bolts. I wasted heaps of time finding and fitting new lot more robust servo arms. After trying some dozen different brands none has fitted but the closest ones I found were "GWS Micro 2BB MG" which had to be forced in to fit the stock spindle. I only wish the manufacturers were trying to be more standard. The supplied stock servo arms were a real joke, the hole for easy connector was twice the size resulting in lot of play. After correct adjustments, retractables work great. Harder, 50mm Dubro light weight wheels were installed on mains. The nose wheel and the steering mechanism might be some issue IMO, but my intention will be to land this bird with the finest touch, so the time will show, Joe.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:45 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I was hoping to install in this model STUMAX90 but as I can't get it fast enough due to short supply of NEU motors I decided today to fit in ARC3675/1-Vemotec-100Amp ESC combo. I have sanded today inner ducting before I paint it and the cheater holes were enlarged. Also made today thrust tube which I will tape to the rear of the fan and the whole assembly including ESC willbe put in place when ready to close the fuselage. Lot of attention is being paid to fit the fan unit so it fits in perfectly, not too lose or too tight. I made the tube 26cm long exiting at 74mm radius. The front slides firmly 7mm over the rear of fan shrout. I also had to cut out some foam to accomodate wider ESC I'm going to use. The stock gear from this kit I will use in large own design 6mm Depron STEALTH EDF model. Joe.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:36 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Computer was down few days so I'm back with more progress. I have installed metal gear EL. servos with new extension leads to connect ch. 3 & 8 on my RX. This system allows me to perfectly match both control surfaces. EL. control blocks were epoxied in place with plywood stiffeners along the rear sides of fuselage. Both Elevators were completed and control axis secured by additional 1/2 mm ply panels,
later painted. I have decided not to use RUDDER so the the servo in the fin was removed and moving part blocked off. I find the steering nose gear far more important function to use as ch.4. I always like to separate RUDD. from Steering ch. for individual adjustment.
New ARC motor was assembled in fan hosing, carefully packed up for firm fit. Adapter and rotor fitted and fine tuned for smooth run. Before adaptor installation I always grind flat spot on motor shaft for the peace of mind. I do not like using bullet connectors in this set up so I have preciselly measured all leads and soldered them directly to my 100Amp ESC. The thrust tube was secured to the fan with tape and sealed off around wires exit area. This whole assembly will be placed inside of the model just before I will epoxy the front and back fuselage parts together.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:10 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
After installation of power unit the two parts were bonded together using 30min. epoxy. The wing spar was cut to correct length and both wings epoxied to the fuselage. I assume that some modelers are using full length but I didn't want to block that very limited air intake any more. So finally the model was ready to provisionally check the "CG" by using 6 and 8S packs. The great news is that there is lot of room to position my various type of batteries so it is no issue. After soldering new 5.5mm bullet connectors to ESC it was time to run it for the first time inside of the model. Starting with 6S all runs vibration free but further tests will be performed while using E/meter and 8S when model fully assembled. After provisional check the AUW with 6S is 3050g. and 8S4Ah2p inc. small 2000mA 4cell RX pack is 3400grams. So all major work is done and now only final touch like securing the canopy, batteries, all armory and F/tanks to make removable for safe transportation, Joseph.
Last edited by jofro; Nov 01, 2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: spell
Old Nov 02, 2010, 04:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
P1020051 (4 min 11 sec)

Today took the model to the local field to run it for the first time on 8S and do the range check. I hooked up the E-meter and the current draw on full stick was 105-108 Amps, just over 3100Watts. After this test I did couple of vertical full power runs while holding it in hands, model was taking off vertically while holding it gently. The AUW is 3450grams but I assume it has some 3.6-3.8kg thrust. Later performed the range check from some 350 meter distance with positive results so it is all go after few more final touches. I'm bit disappointed that at this weight I won't be able to fly it off the grass because the nose gear just could not handle the take off speed but the sealed strip will be fine with some fine touch, Joseph.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:22 PM
willfly4$
United States, MS, Bay St Louis
Joined Apr 2005
250 Posts
do you think that the nose gear can be modified somehow to be able to handle grass?
cleatis is offline Find More Posts by cleatis
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:02 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
do you think that the nose gear can be modified somehow to be able to handle grass?
Hi, IMO the whole landing gear would have to be replaced for something more sturdy to handle grass at almost 3.5kg AUW. I rather travel to my other field with sealed runway. Joe.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:23 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,352 Posts
Good luck for the maiden Joe !

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Closed Thread