HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:08 AM
I have two speeds fast and WFO
United States, IN, Vincennes
Joined Jul 2006
471 Posts
Discussion
Classic pattern plane MK Blue Angel

Ok I am looking for someone who has had experience with this plane. It is the 40 size version and i am currently restarting the build that someone stopped maybe 10 years ago. It is about 60% finished and i am having trouble with the fuel tank. Right now the only size fuel tank that will fit is a 4 oz. tank. i will be flying this with a sanye 52. on a macs tuned pipe turning a 10x7 apc prop. I really would like to install a larger tank but it would require heavy modification. Is the 4 oz tank the correct size for this kit or did the guy build it incorrectly? Any help would be very grateful. I also do not have any way of posting pics at this time.
customcarmaker is offline Find More Posts by customcarmaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:00 AM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
753 Posts
You need an 8 ounce tank,or a 10 ounce tank.8 ounce's will be fine.You have a nice airplane there.
pathfinder is offline Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2009
32 Posts
I don't have the 40 but a 20. Guess is you can get the specific MK tank shape and size from Singapore Hobbies. Drop me a picture and I can ask them for it (from the plan). They've still got stock of tanks, canopies, retracts, etc. Not to much to have it shipped to the US.

If anyone has a spare 20 Blue Angel fuse, I'd take it. Have a kit without the fuse parts (thanks eBay). Can be reconstructed but still just take time.

Dave.
Tsunami33 is offline Find More Posts by Tsunami33
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:44 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
564 Posts
i scratch built my BA 60 with some help. i bought the plans, wing cores and a canopy.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2007
564 Posts
i would do a search for 8178, a member of rcu. his build thread on the BA is the preeminent thread in existence. and he has flown his, unlike me.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:57 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Why not try a Tetra Bubbless? I don't think it needs to be right up next to the engine. Maybe you could put it in the fuse.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2007
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg View Post
Why not try a Tetra Bubbless? I don't think it needs to be right up next to the engine. Maybe you could put it in the fuse.
good idea.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:53 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,090 Posts
Bubbless or not it does need to be near the engine unless you have a pumped motor.

Think about it this way:

WHen in straight and level, the fuel doesn't have much height to climb, so if anything you'll run rich rather than lean.

In a vertical, every inch between the carb and the clunk is more "height" the engine has to draw fuel from.It gets harder and harder the further away your tank is. You'll lean out more and more. Muffler pressure helps but only so much.

Try sucking through a 3 foot straw straight up, you know it's near impossible, don't you?
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:31 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Curare, it seems to make sense when you say it like that. But...

But I have to say that it works just fine in my Kaos. Maybe because the full is pushed out of the bladder by pressure injected into a sealed hard case. I'm going to do some searches. I think Ive found others with much success. I've put too much time into that plane to lose it due to a fuel problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Bubbless or not it does need to be near the engine unless you have a pumped motor.

Think about it this way:

WHen in straight and level, the fuel doesn't have much height to climb, so if anything you'll run rich rather than lean.

In a vertical, every inch between the carb and the clunk is more "height" the engine has to draw fuel from.It gets harder and harder the further away your tank is. You'll lean out more and more. Muffler pressure helps but only so much.

Try sucking through a 3 foot straw straight up, you know it's near impossible, don't you?
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:14 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
I have had all three sizes. I found the oval tanks were not big enough for me and used a rectangular tanks with the former modified. But i just remembered they are MK brand too. I will have a look over the next couple of days what I have packed up in the shed.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Oct 29, 2010, 01:52 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg View Post
Curare, it seems to make sense when you say it like that. But...

But I have to say that it works just fine in my Kaos. Maybe because the full is pushed out of the bladder by pressure injected into a sealed hard case. I'm going to do some searches. I think Ive found others with much success. I've put too much time into that plane to lose it due to a fuel problem.
See how you go, to be honest, if I don't have a pump on my motors I try and wedge the tank as close to the carb as possible.

You can have them further back but the difference in tune between straight and level and vertical will become greater and greater.

You may find that you can tune it for a vertical but it may end up rich in s&l flight.

I had a problem like this on a hiperbipe. In the end I had to fit a pump to the plane to get decent runs.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare