HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2010, 06:10 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,252 Posts
E-Flite UMX Extra 300 Flight! (2 min 32 sec)
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:07 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
[DF stands for] Dynamic Foamy.
DUH...what was I thinkin'? Off course... I have a Dynex 2.4, the nose of which I've rebuilt several times! It's an excellent airframe and one of my favorite flyers!

Thanks for the clarification.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Oct 24, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:21 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doil View Post
The UMX stands for ultra micro extreme, which does fit the performance of the aircraft based on the videos. The 300 is the model number of of the aircraft that it is based on (extra 200, 260, 300 etc).
If I was going to spend that much on a flat plane I'd want them calling it something like the UMX too to help me justify it in my head. It's certainly nimble and floaty but calling it a NAF 300 was bound to hurt sales. The UMX title will sell this to anyone out there a little frightened of buying the Beast.
Mister Gun is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gun
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
Hmmm, like Bud said in a different forum, we have to bow down and worship the e-flite gods with our wallets...

Well, here is the plan, I had two 4-sites, one new and one 2nd crashed off e-bay, bought it for the guts for a dynex. Could never get the dynex sorted proper so big disappointment. 4-Site is just horrible to fly, dont know if it is our altitude here (5500' amsl, 30 deg C temps in summer) but it was unstable and un-controllable. Looked like way too little control throw, too small wing etc. The 4-site F3p, well, that is another story entirely.

My Dynex ended up looking like a spider web with all the carbon bracing I used to get some form of airframe rigidity, so I went brushless with a two cell setup (XP7A + MM13/3/12T motor) to compensate for the weight. She's quite a handful and as such nowadays gets flown rarely. Another good option instead of the Extra is the 3DM Slick that MAE makes. It is an awesome little plane!

If one can get the replacement airframe for the Extra I'd buy that and build all the Dynex guts into it, should be fun brushless, but keep it single cell. With a bit of creativity, some ca, and some carbon rods a motor mount wont pose any problems... Then, hopefully, we'll have a proper back yard 3D machine. (The slick is okay, but the control throws are lacking a bit...)

One could even consider using an AP05-3000 with a Hobbyking 1S ESC, should make for some good fun in the Extra...
FlyLikeRental is offline Find More Posts by FlyLikeRental
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Wonder whats the 300's thrust to weight ratio? The sukhoi xp's ratio is around 1.4 to 1. The new larger eflite Yak is 2:1. Th micro beast is 1.8 to 1. Wonder how this airplane will fly?
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Last edited by Cheese5; Oct 24, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
What yak? Oh you mean the 45 incher! My guess for the power to weight ratio is similar to the beast's probably about 1.5-1.9.
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:58 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidude22 View Post
what yak?
Oh, the yak is the larger airplane that eflite came out with. I'll edit my post. It has an extreme flight performance from the video! But is is not a micro and it is $400. It can "hover at half throttle" and can shoot straight up at full throttle, very overpowered!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:03 AM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
The UMX Beasts are hitting some stores here in OZ this week, I wonder if that means we will see the extra before christmas?
doil is offline Find More Posts by doil
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
dont mean to be a kill joy but how come elfite dont my park size 3d planes 2cell or 3 cell everything they seem to make is micro
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Wonder whats the 300's thrust to weight ratio? The sukhoi xp's ratio is around 1.4 to 1. The new larger eflite Yak is 2:1. Th micro beast is 1.8 to 1. Wonder how this airplane will fly?
When the battery is good and the moon and stars and planets are aligned, you may get 40 grams of thrust out of the brushed motor so that figure is more like 1.2 to 1, and thats only for the first minute.
The 300 is lighter so it should have more spark than the 4site
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:23 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,755 Posts
Looks like they have a PNP for $139 now. It's $139 on Model Flight so I'm guessing it $129 in the U.S. but you can't get on Horizons website right now, so I don't know.

"Needed to complete - A 4+ Channel DSM2 compatible Transmitter. A programmable transmitter capable of dual rates and exponential is highly recommended.
A 1S 3.7V 150mAh Li-Po battery and suitable DC Li-Po charger."

http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...-8258-192.html
DFflyer is offline Find More Posts by DFflyer
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:03 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,752 Posts
Killer plane.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Not sure what all this price moaning is all about. As if nobody knew this from HH's history, List prices have virtually nothing to do with street prices... Looking at my 'local' HH pusher (well, I usually shop online in England and Austria), the Extra is actually cheaper than the PZ Sukhoi XP. Yup, one servo extra for less cash. Going by the same resellers, the Extra is going to cost 1/3 less than the Beast... Sounds right to me (given these prices are for real) Yes, the Extra is an ugly brat, but sure kicks the PZ Sukhoi's butt.
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:29 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Not sure what all this price moaning is all about. As if nobody knew this from HH's history, List prices have virtually nothing to do with street prices... Looking at my 'local' HH pusher (well, I usually shop online in England and Austria), the Extra is actually cheaper than the PZ Sukhoi XP. Yup, one servo extra for less cash. Going by the same resellers, the Extra is going to cost 1/3 less than the Beast... Sounds right to me (given these prices are for real) Yes, the Extra is an ugly brat, but sure kicks the PZ Sukhoi's butt.
what are you talking about? this extra is way more than the sukhoi xp
and about the same price as the BEAST
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFflyer View Post
Looks like they have a PNP for $139 now. It's $139 on Model Flight so I'm guessing it $129 in the U.S. but you can't get on Horizons website right now, so I don't know.

"Needed to complete - A 4+ Channel DSM2 compatible Transmitter. A programmable transmitter capable of dual rates and exponential is highly recommended.
A 1S 3.7V 150mAh Li-Po battery and suitable DC Li-Po charger."

http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...-8258-192.html
Great news! But I find it strange that there's so much difference in price between the BNF and this one who would be missing only the battery and the cheap charger...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Oct 26, 2010 at 06:55 PM.