Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
i am going to wait on the brushless version,
Is there going to be a b/l version? Or izzat just wishful thinking?
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:04 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Is there going to be a b/l version? Or izzat just wishful thinking?
I think he was day dreaming
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:54 PM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath for a brushless version. I think I remember reading somewhere on one of the Beast forums that they couldn't get the power that was needed for a 1s power plant, hence the reason they went 2s. 2s may be a little heavy for this kind of airframe and size given the desired performance.
doil is offline Find More Posts by doil
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:48 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
I think it looks great. The flight videos certainly look better than the 4-site, and that is one fun little plane. Looking at the UMX beast power system, it would make this plane into a little pig.

The power system selection makes sense for something this weight on one cell, like it did for the 4-site. If the brushed setup provides true 3-d performance why bother with the brushless. Simply using a technology perceived as being superior doesn't make the end product perform better.

-Adam
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:20 PM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
I think it looks great. The flight videos certainly look better than the 4-site, and that is one fun little plane. Looking at the UMX beast power system, it would make this plane into a little pig.

The power system selection makes sense for something this weight on one cell, like it did for the 4-site. If the brushed setup provides true 3-d performance why bother with the brushless. Simply using a technology perceived as being superior doesn't make the end product perform better.

-Adam
Well said.

The only reason that most of us would prefer a brushless system however, is that the brushed motors just don't seem to hold up well enough, especially for the amount that HH charge for them!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:02 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Very true, I was shocked to see how much the replacements were. Particularly when you can get a PNP 4-site for $80. I wish they were going to offer this in the PNP version, last thing I need is another charger...

-Adam
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:19 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Also, no PNP?? another big boo, after watching the flight videos i was slightly tempted, now i'm not at all.
Then don't buy it. Negative is as Negative does
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
Very true, I was shocked to see how much the replacements were. Particularly when you can get a PNP 4-site for $80. I wish they were going to offer this in the PNP version, last thing I need is another charger...

-Adam

Hey, you could buy 2 PNP 4 sites for the price of one extra! Since just about everyone has several batteries and chargers the PNP would be worth it!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:24 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Here are links to the videos:
iHobby 2010 Spotlight - Seth Arnold and the UMX Extra 300 3D (4 min 43 sec)

E-flite UMX Extra 300 3D At IHobby 2010 (3 min 17 sec)
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:38 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,396 Posts
Really amazing flying in such a small space.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:00 AM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidude22 View Post
I assume they are developing BL add-ons for all their current planes with the AR6400. Even now with this plane, couldn't you just buy the hobby-king bl motor and esc?
as long as you have a pin out on the reciever for an external esc you can plug any three wire bL esc into it.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:28 AM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
Looking at the video of Seth flying the extra in the ring make me want this even more!!!

Considerably better performance than the 4-site.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:46 AM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
i still dont get why this is called a UMX, not just a UM. i thought the UMX had to do with the BL, 2s system. and this is neither.

i love the look of how this flies, but just not prepared to burn out after 5 flights.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:12 AM
Areoplain Chapmion Flire
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
147 Posts
What is the point of the 300? Is it an indoor plane that wants to be a heli or is it a heli that's made to look like a paper plane?

Either way, I'm glad I spent the money on an MSR recently. I completely understood why they prefixed the Beast with UMX...but to give that same prefix to the 300 now just seems like it's the new E-Flite branding rather than an indication of performance.
Mister Gun is offline Find More Posts by Mister Gun
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:26 AM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
The UMX stands for ultra micro extreme, which does fit the performance of the aircraft based on the videos. The 300 is the model number of of the aircraft that it is based on (extra 200, 260, 300 etc).