Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2011, 10:29 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Went to local Hobbytown USA today... Extras were only $109.99.

It looks like the price has dropped.
Hmmmm...I know what's on my birthday list this year
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 01:38 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Having flown both the 300 and the 4-Site, there's little comparison between them. I could barely fly the 4-Site in our gym compared to being well on my way to learning 3D with the Extra. I've got 2 4-Sites that have not been out of the boxes since I got the Extra.
4-sites are parts planes only. let me know if you don't want them and i'll buy the servos and reciever from you.
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old May 16, 2011, 06:02 PM
Vineland, N.J.
Joined Sep 2003
693 Posts
Servo Goop

What's the stuff the servos are attached with on the Extra?
bob_nj is offline Find More Posts by bob_nj
Old May 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj View Post
What's the stuff the servos are attached with on the Extra?
Not sure but I swapped my servo's to another airframe after my UMX300 was shredded by a mid air by a MCPX. I just used foam safe CA to reattach the boards to the airframe. The goop stayed on the boards as a spacer which is needed to keep the boards/servo's level and spaced off the surface so they don't make contact.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old May 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
Vineland, N.J.
Joined Sep 2003
693 Posts
I guess if you use the CA sparingly, they will come off in a reasonable manner when they need to be replaced?
Old May 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I knew as soon as I bought the Extra that I would be deeply sorry. I could not resist. We found a gym to fly indoors. Not a lot of people fly there. A friend let me fly his Ember and Vapor. In no time I was flying a pylon race and towing 30 ft streamers. Even doing a hand catch. None of my planes as 3 channel. Most are 3D planes like the 3DHS Edge. Looking at indoor 4 channel planes I couldn't resist the beauty and promised performance of the Extra. I just know that as soon as I try to fly it that millions of planes will try to play combat with my Extra. Can you say Paranoid? Is it really paranoia if they are out to get you?

With the light wing loading does the Extra fly much faster than the Ember or Vapor when they all are at about the lowest throttle for straight and level flight? I have seen some ultra micros that were so fast that they could only do circles and figure eights in a gym.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Last edited by e-gull; May 18, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:29 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
I knew as soon as I bought the Extra that I would be deeply sorry. I could not resist. We found a gym to fly indoors. Not a lot of people fly there. A friend let me fly his Ember and Vapor. In no time I was flying a pylon race and towing 30 ft streamers. Even doing a hand catch. None of my planes as 3 channel. Most are 3D planes like the 3DHS Edge. Looking at indoor 4 channel planes I couldn't resist the beauty and promised performance of the Extra. I just know that as soon as I try to fly it that millions of planes will try to play combat with my Extra. Can you say Paranoid? Is it really paranoia if they are out to get you?

With the light wing loading does the Extra fly much faster than the Ember or Vapor when they all are at about the lowest throttle for straight and level flight? I have seen some ultra micros that were so fast that they could only do circles and figure eights in a gym.
I was like you when I started flying my Extra with other birds around. Got hit a few times (mostly helis!!!). Could always fix the damage so far.

Speed wise, there's nothing that fly as slow as a Vapor. But if you put the Extra in harrier, you will be very close. But trust me, in no time, you won't be doing harrier anymore. The beauty of the Extra is the fact that it doesn't need much space to fly and do it all! All control surfaces (including rudder) are so effective, that within a few weeks, you'll be flying in only a very small chunk of a any gym. So, you can go in a corner of the gym, and use only about 25ft by 25ft. Usually, after a while, the other pilots will respect your "air space". If you cannot get your private corner, then we also have another rule: Hover in the middle and fly fast on the edge. That way, you can safely practice your hovering in the middle of the gym (with others doing the same around you), not worrying about another bird side swipping you since they are flying fast, but much closer to the walls.

Here's a video where I'm flying in a room with 13ft ceiling and using only about half the room (room is 60X30, but I'm using mostly 30ft by 30ft). Sadly, there's no harrier but at least I'm not flying WOT all the time!

E-Flite UMX Extra 300 3D Ultra Micro (5 min 1 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old May 18, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Since I have the Extra I will try it, but it looks like I am going back for a Vapor. Does the Extra harrier pretty easy or is it like some that it can harrier, but it is a lot of work.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:36 PM
Vineland, N.J.
Joined Sep 2003
693 Posts
wORK

You have to fly it, but it's like flying a giant scale, very predictable and the surfaces respond the way they should.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
True, and unlike some other airplanes, the rudder is always extremely efficient. So you can fly it slow, but also turn very thight.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I have another Eflite Extra. It is the Extra 260 that was so popular two or three years back. One of the first Efest I went to the Extra 260 made a big appearance. Never tried it indoors, but I flew it in the park in the morning when the wind was less than 6 MPH.

I think I will get the Vapor too. One plane to go wild with hovering for minutes at a time, rolling circles, HAKE across the gym and back, and snaps. I do 3D in the park. Just have to work on doing it in the gym now. The Extra 300 may just be the plane to do it. The other for relaxed flying, spot landings on tables, pylon racing, playing with huge ribbons on the plane. The Vapor might just be a different type of fun.
Last edited by e-gull; May 21, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Took 20 minutes to get the Extra ready to fly. Checked the direction of throws and programmed the DX7. For my planes I normally use the Futaba 7C, but my UM helis are on the DX7 and now the Extra. This is the first time I had to put in DR and EXPO into the DX7. It is so easy. Now I am ready for when they email me that the gym is available which is usually Sundays.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I got the Vapor. Will fly that when the air is crowded, pylon racing, ect.. That way I can save the Extra for 3D when there is some open areas and not a crowd.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I was flying the Vapor out in the backyard this morning. Wind mostly 0 - 5 MPH with a spike of 6.5 MPH. Used my wind meter so I know that is accurate. How much wind can the Extra handle? Does landing in the grass beat up the Extra?
Old May 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
You can put the Vapor and the Extra in the exact same category. The same wind that will put you in trouble with a Vapor will put you in trouble with the Extra. Though, with more experience, the Extra has a bit more power so it will fly in more wind. You just have to remember that there's way more side surface so even when you're flying levelled, you still can get bullied around by the wind.

Grass doesn't affect any UMs (in fact, it's the best thing in the world since if you crash in the grass, you're airplane has more chance to survive). That's unless you're really unlucky and get something stuck in one of the servos. Sure enough, wet grass is not the best either, but so far, I have not seen one report of anything going wrong after landing in wet grass. Again, usually, grass is ultra-micro's best friend!

Flying a Vapor in 6.5mph wind is already being a good challenge. If you found that easy, you won't have any problems with the Extra. It's just that you always fly a Vapor like an airplane (easier in the wind). But the Extra is a 3D plane, so as such, you want to fly it like a 3D plane, and in the wind, you cannot. You have to fly it like an airplane, so it's a pity!