HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Yes and the 4-Site make also the same job.

The Beast is not far from a WWI biplane.
I need also jets.
Only about 80 years or so away..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
When i look at the part prices, the BL motor is almost 300% of the brushed motor price.
The AR6400BL is more expensiv than the non BL version and a 2S setup need more batteries and also a charger with balancer.
I didn't say that any of their current bl motors would be cheaper. They aren't exactly on the forefront of technology over there. There has been a huge change in bl motor size and price since the AR bricks were designed a couple years ago and still a big change even since the more recent release of the AR6400BL brick.

If they're coming out with new planes, you'd think they could implement a 5 gram brushless outrunner ($15) with a 2 gram 5A 1S esc ($10). That's almost 1/2 the wieght of the 8.5mm brushed motor and gearbox.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:25 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
I wonder if the Horizon Hobby full scale Extra 300 was inspiration.....

(here seen at Madras OR airshow this past summer):

limited edition graphics for the UMX Extra 300?

I'm in the "gotta have it" group...I likes profile foamies and lubs Extras...even w/ the crappy motor...I'll put a Solo Pro heli motor in it. But I've been thinking...my beloved 4Site is *still* airworthy, airframe-wise, simply because easy access is available to most any damaged section....with the milled foam covered in Mylar...repair will be a bit more difficult....? Things that make ya go hmmmmm....

And...a "BnF" is just the plane, right? No charger, no tx...that's how this plane needs to be sold...like the 4S now. (?) (for $80 bux...there's a recession on ya know...)

Bud, get-this-hook-outta-mah-mouf Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:53 AM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
Im with Bud on this one. Gotta have it! I love my 4-site and the way it flies.

I, like most of us, was hoping for a brushless replacement for the 4-site and am a bit disappointed that it is not, however, with some Hyp batts, these things really come alive!

Yes, you have to keep replacing the brushed motors, but I have noticed that they last so much longer if you give them a break after each flight to cool down.

As for the price, it doesn't really bother me. I would much rather pay a little more and get something of higher quality than pay less and get a low quality HK product with absolutely no cust support or spares

This model could also be higher priced because of the added build complexity with the mylar film covering etc.

Just my 2 cents.
doil is offline Find More Posts by doil
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:24 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doil View Post
*snip*
This model could also be higher priced because of the added build complexity with the mylar film covering etc.

Just my 2 cents.
That's a very good point I haven't seen brought up yet...manufacturing costs of both milling and mylar covering will be higher indeed...hmm...well....D/F seems to be cranking out milled airframes very inexpensively (although no mylar)....if I may say...

Interesting. Well. I know what I'm getting myself for Xmas...lol! (there's no one left in my family to buy it for me)

Bud, has to buy (motorized) "Thomas the Tank engine" stuff (and fix em all! Arrgh!) for Xmas Bud :crazyface:
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:00 AM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
That's a very good point I haven't seen brought up yet...manufacturing costs of both milling and mylar covering will be higher indeed...hmm...well....D/F seems to be cranking out milled airframes very inexpensively (although no mylar)....if I may say...

Interesting. Well. I know what I'm getting myself for Xmas...lol! (there's no one left in my family to buy it for me)

Bud, has to buy (motorized) "Thomas the Tank engine" stuff (and fix em all! Arrgh!) for Xmas Bud :crazyface:

Yes DF does crank them out at a good price, however, they are a flat pack. I think it is probably the assembly time that drives the price of some RTF aircraft higher.

Either way, I am looking forward to both this and the UMX Beast
doil is offline Find More Posts by doil
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:25 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baratacus View Post
If they're coming out with new planes, you'd think they could implement a 5 gram brushless outrunner ($15) with a 2 gram 5A 1S esc ($10). That's almost 1/2 the wieght of the 8.5mm brushed motor and gearbox.
I don't have a 4 site mount handy, but the 8.4mm motor/gearbox in all the other planes only weighs 6.2g and it doesn't need a firewall to mount to like a brushless outrunner would need, so brushless is "almost the same" and not "almost 1/2".
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Last edited by UNGN; Oct 22, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:08 PM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
I read that the motor was 6.2g and the gearbox was an additional 3g. If the whole setup is 6.2g then you're right, it is about the same weight. The coreless brushed motors have Less power though and not long lived. SHould make for a cheap easy conversion though if they put in a brick with a connection for external BL esc. I imagine its one of the first upgrades people will do when they cook their motors.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
I assume they are developing BL add-ons for all their current planes with the AR6400. Even now with this plane, couldn't you just buy the hobby-king bl motor and esc?
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:41 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I think the nicest thing about this plane is the fact that they have already planned the replacement airframe for $55:
I can't find that item under the parts list - where did you find it?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
the extra is way too expensive:

you can get a Brushless micro beast for the same price!
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Oct 23, 2010, 03:03 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
the extra is way too expensive:

you can get a Brushless micro beast for the same price!
Yah....so....the smart way to do it would be to buy a 4Site on sale for $78 (as they are now), fly till trashed...then get an Extra bare airframe (someone said they're listed @ $55?) Oh wait...that works out to be about the same price...but then again...two planes, twice the flying time. Or something. Ouch, my head is starting to hurt.

I might go that route. Certainly don't need another charger!

Oh, and don't forget to stock up on crappy motors lol! (or mod an SP)

Bud, just make the dand plane b/l Bud
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:26 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doil View Post
Yes DF does crank them out at a good price....
Who/what is "DF"?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:47 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Who/what is "DF"?

Gene K
Dynamic Foamy. Makers of the popular Dynex 2.4. It's designed to take the HH electronics. (you can get it milled or unmilled.)

http://www.dynamicfoamy.com/DYNEX%202-4.html

Old Oct 23, 2010, 04:51 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
i am going to wait on the brushless version,
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman