HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2005
1,015 Posts
Razors Edge 29,

Is the 4-Site worth it? Absolutely, especially at $70. It will do harrier rolls and inverted harriers better than most of my balsa planes! Just remember to turn with the rudder.

Is it brittle? If you place clear tape where suggested, it ends up being pretty tough for depron. See the mod thread posted just a page or two back.

Alan
TexasFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TexasFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:06 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,240 Posts
Alan

thanks - i may have to get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer View Post
Razors Edge 29,

Is the 4-Site worth it? Absolutely, especially at $70. It will do harrier rolls and inverted harriers better than most of my balsa planes! Just remember to turn with the rudder.

Is it brittle? If you place clear tape where suggested, it ends up being pretty tough for depron. See the mod thread posted just a page or two back.

Alan
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Check out this link of a guy that made is own foam skeletal airframe with mylar covering without a laser.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336285

It can be done with a little time and effort using simple tools.
Nice...

I've been thinking what it would be like with a thicker foam and mylar on BOTH sides instead of just one. The mechanical loads should be carried primarily on the outer mylar surface that way with the foam acting primarily as a spacer. I'd assume you could make the skeleton areas much thinner that way and not loose stiffness.

Not for my first plane though. Heck I'm still learning to fly the darned thing. I don't need the ultimate in light weight yet. I just need something that crashes well. I think a 3mm EPP covered in packing tape will be the replacement when my stock body dies. After that, if I'm feeling comfortable with not crashing I may consider something like a skeletonized/mylar frame.

I do however like biplanes. Just something different and unique about them.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:13 AM
TEAM EXTREME / HORIZON HOBBY
United States, NJ, Tuckerton
Joined Oct 2006
601 Posts
This plane is going to be awesome, can't get over there being no posts since the 11th.

Lee
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:14 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
True I could buy the 4site - BUT - is the 4site worth it?

Some say yes, some say no.

and its brittle lol
It's a bit weaker than other micros i had. but it's a lot of fun. flies very well.
I added some carbon sticks in the fuselage after a few crashes and i'm glad I did. Gained 10gr from stock by now (glue, crash, carbon.. you know) but it still flies well and it's now very strong.

If you dont crash much it's probably strong enough. If you crash at least once a day (not because of skill but just because they're so fun you *have* to try some crazy passes..) and fly outdoors with wind, etc, i highly recommend the carbon

Check the threads about it, there's many other reinforcement tips (especially for the wing)

Now if I had to choose with the extra 300 today i think i'd get the extra cause it's lighter/slower for tight indoor flying.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:50 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
[QUOTE=Razors edge 29;16528929]True I could buy the 4site - BUT - is the 4site worth it?

Some say yes, some say no.

and its brittle lol

guy in my club has one, BUT i am sure you and Babs know tricks to reinforce that you could share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Well, you can get the Dynex flying now, since you have (most of) the electronics already, yes? UMXtra is gonna be a bit of a wait, from what peeps are saying...sometime between Dec. and...ugh...Feb. (Officially mid Dec.) Didn't know you haven't yet gotten into indoor 3D, plank style...your gonna love it!

Another option is to purchase a bargain 4Site for $80 or less, fly most of the winter till trashed, then buy a UMXtra airframe only. I may go that route myself.
Is the 4 Site worth 70 bucks USD yep I have two of them...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,240 Posts
Ill prob wait for 300.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:09 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
New 4Site for $73.90 shipped....it's a hard bargain to resist...

Bud, pointer-hovering-over-the-"buy"-button-at-this-very-moment Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,240 Posts
where - cant be that price for Canadians????

Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
New 4Site for $73.90 shipped....it's a hard bargain to resist...

Bud, pointer-hovering-over-the-"buy"-button-at-this-very-moment Bud
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:11 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
314 Posts
u guys think the beastmania going on is the reason for such a lack of interest in this plane or the absurd price?
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:21 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft punk View Post
u guys think the beastmania going on is the reason for such a lack of interest in this plane or the absurd price?
Yes to both... OK more the price as the planes are for doing two different things.. I just ordered a spare BEAST for 130 bucks.. So someday I'll have a Brushless two cell micro 3D... I have the foam, glue, shopping bag and soon the works for making one...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
USA, CO, Pueblo
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
where - cant be that price for Canadians????
http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr...Fquery%3D4site

67.59 plus Shipping, so its probably a little more for you Canadians.
tonebone is offline Find More Posts by tonebone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A peek into my hobby room
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,171 Posts
I'd love to have one of these Extra's... but at $159... I don't think so... it doesn't look that great. The Micro Sukhoi, and Micro Mustang were borderline high... I did get the Sukhoi though... and I like it... its got some shape and is somewhat scale in looks, and has that full-body look to it... but come on... $159 is an outrageous price... simply outrageous for what's basically a Micro ShockFlyer... This Extra just doesn't look like it holds that kind of value. I mean... I paid $179 for my ParkZone brushless Mustang... its got at least some WOW factor.. and its bigger, will fly in fairly strong wind no problem..etc....and I did buy the Extra300(bigger version BNF)for $249...and it definately is a nice plane.. and easy to have fun with... but I'm going to wait for the price to drop.. and it will.. I might bite at $89 or so... til then .. you guys enjoy your Micro Extra's.. I'll be watching.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
Flew indoors tonight in a small single basket ball court gym. That's where these will shine. If you've flown an F3P plane or a freestyle shockie you'll know why having no scale body is important. Its about wing load and the lighter yet stiffer you can make it the better they fly. They fly so slow and precise. Just a joy to fly. Even the UM 4Site is a blast in the small gym. With the Hyperion 160's these planes work great.

I want one of these UMX 300's and hope for the price to come down.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:18 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,240 Posts
thanks but shipping is way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebone View Post
http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr...Fquery%3D4site

67.59 plus Shipping, so its probably a little more for you Canadians.