128 Posts
Lol!!!!!!!!!!
ndfanatix is online now Find More Posts by ndfanatix
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:22 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,628 Posts
I just found out a little while ago from my wife that part of my Valentine's Day/weekend activities will include a trip to the Lonestar Aviation Museum where the P-47 "Tarheel Hal" is actually hangared right now. I'll try to get as many pictures as I can and get them posted here. There's also a Hurricane, Spitfire, AD-1, B-17, PBY, PB4J, and a B-58 among others. It's a cool little museum packed full of cool planes.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:07 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
The P25 or G25 running 3s or 4s is a great set up.

Weight wise the plane is so light to start with that a little extra wont harm it a bit.

If anything she becomes a more solid flyer in the wind and with the flaps will slow down for real short slow landings.

We have a guy local to me who flys with a G25 a HL 4 blade (same set up I use) but uses 4000mah lipos..........

In flight you would never notice, except he is still up there when we all have to land.......lol

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:41 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjay302 View Post
Got it!!!! Plus I somehow managed to pull off my "Sexy" face...gets all the ladies!
Attachment 5534653
haha thats crazy
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:24 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfanatix View Post
Hey guys,

I am a bit worried about weight. I am in the middle of a repaint. I am going olive drab and adding the razorback mod. I am also going to add the flaps and retracts. I am going with a power 25 and larger esc. I will be flying with 4s 3300 batteries. With all this added weight do you all think I will still be ok? With the flaps I feel that it will slow ok and with the larger powerplant I think I will over come the added weight. Thanks for any help!

ndfanatix
You'll be fine. As PittSpecial mentioned it won't fly like a parkflyer. However in my opinion that is a good thing! The P-47 was a seven ton monster. I think the stock Jug is almost too light. With that 870 KV on 4S you'll be fine. Landing speeds will be a bit higher but I doubt that it'll be to bad. The flaps are really effective and should do a good job slowing the plane down.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:11 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,744 Posts
Good morning guys

I ordered several 4-Blade propellers from Hobby King, you know the DURAFLY propellers that come with the 1100mm span warbirds and can't wait!

I studied the Hobby King web site carefully and under the DURAFLY. I noticed that they did not have any of the Stock Brushless Motors available at the USA Warehouse so, I ordered on a separate order. The DURAFLY Stuka was the only one that listed the motor under the parts section!!!

So.....I purchased it!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=34234

And......motor prop adapter:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23391

I will experiment with these components and will keep you all updated
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
it looks like a nice replacement motor
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2005
128 Posts
Hey dav3uk,

I really do want to use the p25 with a 4 blade prop. What was the specs on the 4 blader you were using? What amp esc were you using? Thanks for the help.

By the way, what kind of vertical performance/speed did you achieve with this set up?

ndfanatix
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:38 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,821 Posts
that looks good and the price is killer good find
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
jtaylor996,

Thanks for finally understanding what it is that I am after. I too am looking for the 100mph+ warbird that can both fly scale when I want and burn up the skies and go vertical when I want. I also like the 4 blade setup without loosing too much performance. Can you give me some advice with esc size and prop size when attempting to go with a 4 blade? Have a good day!
I'm going to have to defer to papabatman on this one, as I don't run my jug on 4s, and that pretty much changes everything. I'd rather give advice based on stuff I've actually tried, if at all possible.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:21 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Hey dav3uk,

I really do want to use the p25 with a 4 blade prop. What was the specs on the 4 blader you were using? What amp esc were you using? Thanks for the help.

By the way, what kind of vertical performance/speed did you achieve with this set up?

ndfanatix
Assuming your battery, and a 60A ESC, I think the hobby lobby 4 blade 9.5" @ 10 pitch is a good match.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_adj...ps_374_ctg.htm

eCalc is showing this as drawing 49A static, which puts you around 44A in flight to match the P25 rating. Thrust:weight is about 1:1, and pitch speed is 92mph. flight times of over 9 minutes, and 72% efficiency.

I use the 3-blade version of this on my PZ F4U-1A at the same size/pitch.

The trick is getting one. I think you can buy the hub and spare blades and make one up, but you'd have to buy 2x 3 blade packs to get enough, and that's not super cheap. They say they're due for more in early march (2 weeks out).

You could break the tabs and pitch it even more aggressive for more speed if you want. At 11" pitch you're right at 99mph pitch speed, and just 51A. This is at 8800rpm, so you may just want to leave the tabs intact. I just leave mine where they are as it makes the whole assembly a little beefier.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
Joined Jun 2005
128 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the help guys!

ndfanatix
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 PM
Hit Man
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Jan 2011
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
that looks good and the price is killer good find
Yes P.B. you should order one
kddesgin is offline Find More Posts by kddesgin
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:38 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Good morning guys

I ordered several 4-Blade propellers from Hobby King, you know the DURAFLY propellers that come with the 1100mm span warbirds and can't wait!

I studied the Hobby King web site carefully and under the DURAFLY. I noticed that they did not have any of the Stock Brushless Motors available at the USA Warehouse so, I ordered on a separate order. The DURAFLY Stuka was the only one that listed the motor under the parts section!!!

So.....I purchased it!
I will experiment with these components and will keep you all updated
Make sure you also order the separate plastic hub and prop-nut as these really look cool when installed with the 4-bladed Durafly prop.

That motor is an excellent piece too! It's the stock motor for the Durafly T-28 Trojan as well. Although it's rated at 350W, I've been pumping over 500W into mine for months as I fly my Trojan on 4S. I don't go full-throttle continuously, but bursts of 20 to 30 seconds are fantastic - the Trojan really howls across the sky. Of course, the Thunderbolt can be expected to do just the same!

Good luck with it and I'll be interested to hear how your tests turn out.
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets