HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:06 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
Guys!

Have I posted anything that indicated that the STOCK Park Zone 15 is bad?

Or in another way, have I posted to even hint that the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) is superior to the STOCK Park Zone 15 that comes with this model?

Answer: NO!!!!!!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:11 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Guys!

Or in another way, have I posted to even hint that the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) is superior to the STOCK Park Zone 15 that comes with this model?

Ok, well that clears things up then. This thread is mostly people seeking advice about alternate setups that work better then stock. It's easy to assume that your posting here would be along those lines, as in offering advice other people should/could use on their planes.

I guess you were just trying to justify your own decisions rather than provide either useful data or suggestions for others. I guess you're taking this personally somehow...

Well, at least the info on the GWS prop will be useful to others on this thread. I'd still like to know the rpm data with that prop on both motors if you decide to share it.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:14 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,479 Posts
pittspecial, thanks for the kind words. im in love with her too and its KILLING me to juststare at her. my airport dirt runway is way to soft to fly on at the moment so ill get the t-28 in the air tomorrow instead. also waiting on a watt meter i ordered so i can check out this gws prop and others i have myself. i am really hoping this prop works out as i love the looks alot! walt.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:00 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
You are welcomed Walt!

These GWS props are very tough for being soft plastic as I still have the older ones that came in all Orange Color. They improved them and using a BLACK Mold now. I understand at some locations you can get em in Gray but, I have not seen the 4-Blade in that color.

Happy landings!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:13 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,479 Posts
i saw the gray one but black was my first choice. very happy so far.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:55 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
got bored with 97mph so went up to 112mph had to change the color to see it better still having fun

p.s. pitts knows his scale flying inside and out
I am curious as to what size motor, prop and esc you are using to get that kind of speed out of the plane?
Stock with the Parkzone Extra 300 prop I had mine radar-ed at 82 mph.
112 mph would be a really nice increase.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:03 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Guys!

buddy chill out a little bit.. i know you are exited and all that stuff but dont get nothing personal bro.. this is a nice place to discuss stuff... just saying brother, have a good one
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:41 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
To add to the mix ...

I've only just got around to assembling my replacement airframe kit after having it boxed away for over a year. The details of the power train ....

Motor: Turnigy NTM 3542 - 1000kV (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_700W.html)
ESC: Turnigy Trust 45A (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html)
Prop and hub: Durafly P-51/P-47 which from my measurements seems to be a 10x6x4 but it hasn't got that indicated anywhere, so I can't be sure.
Batteries: 3S 2200mAh Nanotech

Static test result: 38 Amps, 1400g thrust

The plane is just a fraction nose-heavy with this configuration, I've got a little moving-around to do to correct that. Overall performance is just what I was after - it's not a bullet, but it has acceptable top speed for a low pass and climbs really well. It's not really that efficient because I think the top 15% to 20% of the throttle movement results in more power consumption for practically no return in either speed or thrust so I might make an end-point adjustment to save the wastage there. Predictably, the heavy prop on a 1000kV motor results in a tendency to roll to the left just after take-off, but once you're ready for that it's easy to deal with - certainly not a hazardous problem. I wanted to use the prop for its semi-scale looks.

A great model and all the things I've read about in this thread over the past couple of months are verified in my experience. I wish I'd put it together months ago.

The next thing to do is do the flap mod and then an individual paint job. Here's a couple of shots of the business-end with the prop on display ...
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:53 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
To add to the mix ...

I've only just got around to assembling my replacement airframe kit after having it boxed away for over a year. The details of the power train ....

Motor: Turnigy NTM 3542 - 1000kV (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_700W.html)
Prop and hub: Durafly P-51/P-47 which from my measurements seems to be a 10x6x4 but it hasn't got that indicated anywhere, so I can't be sure.
I noticed the website suggest a 50A ESC for this motor but you are going to use a 45A ESC?
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:58 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
I'd be replacing my ESC for sure, if I was pumping electrons from 4S - but at full-bore with this prop on 3S it pulls 38A so there's no need for anything bigger and heavier.
Cheers,
Steve
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:36 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
yarrumevets,

Now that "is" down right scale Propeller job look! I am going to have a look at acquiring one of these propellers and see how my Jug Flys with it.

Thanks for sharing!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:44 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
Quote:
To add to the mix ...

Static test result: 38 Amps, 1400g thrust

The plane is just a fraction nose-heavy with this configuration, I've got a little moving-around to do to correct that. Overall performance is just what I was after - it's not a bullet, but it has acceptable top speed for a low pass and climbs really well. It's not really that efficient because I think the top 15% to 20% of the throttle movement results in more power consumption for practically no return in either speed or thrust so I might make an end-point adjustment to save the wastage there. Predictably, the heavy prop on a 1000kV motor results in a tendency to roll to the left just after take-off, but once you're ready for that it's easy to deal with - certainly not a hazardous problem. I wanted to use the prop for its semi-scale looks.

A great model and all the things I've read about in this thread over the past couple of months are verified in my experience. I wish I'd put it together months ago.

The next thing to do is do the flap mod and then an individual paint job. Here's a couple of shots of the business-end with the prop on display ...
Interesting...... My Jug does not torque steer at all on take-off what-so-ever and you are perhaps correct in your assessment with the heavier propeller as another person posted the same experience over at the Durafly Warbirds site at:
(See Post #10):

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...rafly-Warbirds
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:02 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
PittSpecial - thanks for the reference to the other thread mate, I hadn't seen that one. I'll have a good read over it later.

Yes, the rolling is only noticeable at take-off when you've got full power applied (so the prop is of course spinning as fast as it will go) yet the plane isn't really moving as fast through the air as it does when it's properly "on step", so the wings have as much of a countering effect.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:32 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,666 Posts
Quote:
PittSpecial - thanks for the reference to the other thread mate, I hadn't seen that one. I'll have a good read over it later.

Yes, the rolling is only noticeable at take-off when you've got full power applied (so the prop is of course spinning as fast as it will go) yet the plane isn't really moving as fast through the air as it does when it's properly "on step", so the wings have as much of a countering effect.
Aaaa, so your thoughts on having a "6" pitch is perhaps correct, not enough Airspeed to counter the P-Factor on take-off to avoid the dreaded Torque steer to the Left?

However, don't forget that this Prop Airfoil seems very Scale and it just might be mimicking the true thrust of the Full Size Propeller by having Gobs of Thrust you introduce the Propeller Slip Stream effect. It is my thoughts that this propeller is producing much more Thrust at lower RPMs than others and of course when you hit the gas it is just too much for the light foam model to take at the Left Side of the Vertical Stab which causes the Left tendency.

For those interested in Propeller design for modeling check out this:
http://www.bolly.com.au/1998%20Bolly%20Book%20v3.pdf
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:26 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Yes Pitts - it's interesting stuff.

The 6" pitch supposition comes from the fact that on the same motor and with the same battery and ESC, I get identical current draw and measured static thrust with a known 10x6x3 propeller (the one from the Durafly T-28 in fact - my other favourite plane). So, I'm presuming that the Durafly prop I'm using here on the Thunderbolt is 6" pitch too.

You could be right with the thrust at lower RPMs, although I didn't measure that when I was doing my static tests. I have a Himark static test cell which is good to 10kg. I've only calibrated it with known weights, but it seems pretty good. Next time I'm at the field, I'm going to temporarily put a stock 9.5x7.5 prop on it for a couple of flights and make a few comparisons.

I think with a little more practice and some extra tweaking, I'll be able to get used to compensating for the roll on takeoff and iron it out so that a scale-like takeoff is possible.

By the way - my bad: I just noticed that in my previous post I'd written "... "on step", so the wings have as much of a countering effect" when I should really have written "... "on step", so the wings don't have as much of a countering effect" a serious omission.