HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:12 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Got this new model about two weeks ago and had to pick it up at Palmetto, Florida which was approximately 160 miles away. I bought it here in the classifieds knowing well that I was going to use this trip to visit my oldest daughter that lives in Tampa, Florida while on the way to pick the model so, it worked in all accounts.

Missing was the Motor, however, the ESC, all servos and Flaps were configured with flap servos pre-installed.

Early this morning, I finally got around to finish the model by installing a brand new Park Zone 15 Brushless motor (950Kv) and I thought to myself, why not make it look as scale as possible so, I found a bag with at least (Quantity 6) Grand Wing Servo (GWS) 4-Blade (10 X 8 X 4) Plastic "Electric" Propellers. I had to hone them to the propeller adapter that I used (Great Planes Propeller Adapter that comes with the GD600 gearbox). Honing out the inner Propeller Hub took patience since you can easily over-heat the Propeller Hub and deform it, if you do not STOP and allow the hub to cool while drilling.

Using a spare Spektrum AR500, and my Spektrum DX7 the model was activated for the first time at the wee hours of early morning around 3:00am Eastern. I was pleasantly surprised on the smooth Propeller power run up using the Black molded 4-Blade GWS Propeller. No vibrations or wobble.

I used Minwax Water Based Polycrylic to protect the paint and decals and it worked like a charm. The maiden was super scale and that GWS 4-Blade provided lots of punch in the thrust department and air speed was pretty impressive as well.

Best of all the landing was spectacular with full flaps (Flaps on Gear switch). Model touched down super slow and like watching the full size! That 4-Blade really helps provide thrust during landing.
Welcome to this thread, Carlos! The P-47D is one of the most perfect RC planes I've ever owned and flown. The E-Flite retracts for this one are bulletproof. I've got hundreds of flights/landings on mine with nary a glitch, and others here can testify to their strength and robustness.

I look forward to your videos, photos, etc. I literally just read through all your blog entries today; cool stuff!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inspections
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:17 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
on board footage of the crash

Ouchy I had a funny vibration as well as we can see through the video. Oh well Corsair and Mustang here I come.

Parkzone P-47D CRASH!!!! (2 min 55 sec)
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:18 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,278 Posts
Quote:
Got this new model about two weeks ago and had to pick it up at Palmetto, Florida which was approximately 160 miles away. I bought it here in the classifieds knowing well that I was going to use this trip to visit my oldest daughter that lives in Tampa, Florida while on the way to pick the model so, it worked in all accounts.

Missing was the Motor, however, the ESC, all servos and Flaps were configured with flap servos pre-installed.

Early this morning, I finally got around to finish the model by installing a brand new Park Zone 15 Brushless motor (950Kv) and I thought to myself, why not make it look as scale as possible so, I found a bag with at least (Quantity 6) Grand Wing Servo (GWS) 4-Blade (10 X 8 X 4) Plastic "Electric" Propellers. I had to hone them to the propeller adapter that I used (Great Planes Propeller Adapter that comes with the GD600 gearbox). Honing out the inner Propeller Hub took patience since you can easily over-heat the Propeller Hub and deform it, if you do not STOP and allow the hub to cool while drilling.

Using a spare Spektrum AR500, and my Spektrum DX7 the model was activated for the first time at the wee hours of early morning around 3:00am Eastern. I was pleasantly surprised on the smooth Propeller power run up using the Black molded 4-Blade GWS Propeller. No vibrations or wobble.

I used Minwax Water Based Polycrylic to protect the paint and decals and it worked like a charm. The maiden was super scale and that GWS 4-Blade provided lots of punch in the thrust department and air speed was pretty impressive as well.

Best of all the landing was spectacular with full flaps (Flaps on Gear switch). Model touched down super slow and like watching the full size! That 4-Blade really helps provide thrust during landing.

A few pictures of my early morning setup work and at the field.

Hey Carlos welcome to the Jug club, long time no hear.....she is a keeper for sure. I rate her above the Spit as the best PZ plane yet.

Look out in July as I am coming over your way and bringing the Spit with me....

Fly safe and have fun

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:

A few pictures of my early morning setup work and at the field.
Be careful that setup can pull 40amps and the stock ESC is rated for 30 and the motor 34.

It does look nice though!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:03 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
Ouchy I had a funny vibration as well as we can see through the video. Oh well Corsair and Mustang here I come.
A new airframe is only $100 if you give up on that one.

Don't pull on sticks at all if you don't know where the plane is or its orientation (wait until it comes out of the sun before doing anything).

The vibration is definitely coming from the motor on the video, as it goes away when you pull off the throttle. My guess is mount bolts, prop balance, or bearing.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:04 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Be careful that setup can pull 40amps and the stock ESC is rated for 30 and the motor 34.

It does look nice though!

-Brian
Where did you find a specification on the BL15 motor?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:42 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Well I ordered my new graphics from Callie, got the new G25, and will be reaming out the 4 blader for use. Now I just need to sand her down smooth and get her ready for paint. I have all the dings patched just need to get all smoothed out and ready to go.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:41 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Where did you find a specification on the BL15 motor?
I used the Power15 specs. They (BL15 and power15) are both 15 sized 950kv motors. I'm sure there are small differences however for a load calculation this is definitely close enough.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4015A

Type: Brushless outrunner motor
Size: 15-size
Bearings or Bushings: One 5 x 14 x 5mm Bearing, and One 5 x 11 x 5mm Bearings
Wire Gauge: 16
Recommended Prop Range: 10x613x6.5
Voltage: 7.414.4V
RPM/Volt (Kv): 950
Resistance (Ri): .03 ohms
Idle Current (Io): 2.00A @10V
Continuous Current: 34A
Maximum Burst Current: 42A (15 sec)
Cells: 812 Ni-MH/Ni-Cd or 3-4S Li-Po
Speed Control: 4045A brushless
Weight: 152 g (5.4 oz)
Overall Diameter: 35mm (1.40 in)
Shaft Diameter: 5mm (.20 in)
Overall Length: 50mm (1.90 in)

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:47 PM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Well I ordered my new graphics from Callie, got the new G25, and will be reaming out the 4 blader for use. Now I just need to sand her down smooth and get her ready for paint. I have all the dings patched just need to get all smoothed out and ready to go.
Make sure to share some pictures with us. Can't wait to see your finished Jug!
GhostStone is online now Find More Posts by GhostStone
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:09 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Welcome to this thread, Carlos! The P-47D is one of the most perfect RC planes I've ever owned and flown. The E-Flite retracts for this one are bulletproof. I've got hundreds of flights/landings on mine with nary a glitch, and others here can testify to their strength and robustness.

I look forward to your videos, photos, etc. I literally just read through all your blog entries today; cool stuff!
Thanks!

Here are a few more at the RC Club! Just look at the wind Sock, Dead Calm!!!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:15 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,577 Posts
Looks like a perfect day for a maiden....I'll bet it flew like it was on rails
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:48 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Looks like a perfect day for a maiden....I'll bet it flew like it was on rails
John,

It did more than that! Did not need any trim adjustment what-so-ever and it went exactly where I commanded it to go! Those Flaps are just wonderful and the model slows down very well without any extreme pitch affects such that I did not need to provide any Elevator adjustment after deployment of the flaps! The landing with those flaps made me look like a Pro RC Flyer as it touched on its mains so slow that it did not have a chance to tip over on the propeller!

A few pictures showing the AMP, WATTS and VOLTAGE under load measurements from tonight.

Estimated:

Actual Results = VIDEO:

Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt using GWS 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 Propeller with Stock power system 02-06-2013 (1 min 59 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:55 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,739 Posts
are you using stock motor?
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:55 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,577 Posts
Did I hear you right, when you said it was pulling 36 amps at full throttle? Shouldn't be that bad as it'll unload in the air, right ?

That model's just screamin' for some weathering details and so forth...very nice
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:56 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,196 Posts
Measured Read-Outs!

In case you missed what I yelled in that Video

1/2 Throttle: 9-Amps / 11.87 Volts / 108 Watts

3/4 Throttle: 23.5 Amps / 11.16 Volts / 255 Watts

FULL: 36 Amps / 10.5 Volts / 376 Watts