Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:55 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,235 Posts
my latest winter jug build.

i might get a chance next saturday to maiden! fingers crossed. in the mean time my latest jug model. 1/32 scale. still in painting phase. cant wait to get the decals on her.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:03 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
I flew mine for the first time in, probably, a year today. I need to practice fixed wing/warbird flying for a larger, glow powered machine.

I had forgotten how well this machine flew. I did a few Reverse Cuban Eights, but mostly just shot landings. It slows down nicely with the flaps, and the ground handling is so good, that you can almost drive it like an R/C car.

A very, very good airplane.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:58 AM
Fly? Yes. Land? Not so much.
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
So my P-47 is a hanger queen. I've flown her once, and she flies great, but with the retracts installed, it won't roll on the grass runway our club has. I really don't want to put the fixed gear back on and rake it forward (IMO it looks horrible that way). Anyone have any advice on what I can do to improve the ground handling? I really don't want to take her down and put her back in the box, but that's what I might end up doing. Thanks much!!
mdg76 is offline Find More Posts by mdg76
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:19 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdg76 View Post
So my P-47 is a hanger queen. I've flown her once, and she flies great, but with the retracts installed, it won't roll on the grass runway our club has. I really don't want to put the fixed gear back on and rake it forward (IMO it looks horrible that way). Anyone have any advice on what I can do to improve the ground handling? I really don't want to take her down and put her back in the box, but that's what I might end up doing. Thanks much!!
As with all these small planes the wheels are also small and most broad leaf grass from sunny countries is real tough and springy?

How long/thick is the grass?

Can you get a strip cut shorter?

Could you use a strip of carpet or tarp' ?

Have you put spacers/washers between the retract and the wing at the rear screws?, this rakes the legs forward more but still lets them retract.

Full up elevator and some power keeps the tail down in all but the longest grass, a slight push can help get her moving. If the grass is just too long can you do either of the above.

Have you an alternate flying site?, I have some planes I can only fly from 1 site.

These are all things others have tried.

She is such a good flyer it would be a shame to retire her.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:20 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdg76 View Post
I agree with dav3uk!

Especially putting a small spacer behind the rear bolts on the retract mounts. With the gear raked forward slightly mine rolls just fine in moderate grass, and also rough gravel. This is basically a must do mod unless you fly from packed dirt or pavement.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:37 AM
Fly? Yes. Land? Not so much.
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Aug 2011
41 Posts
Thanks guys!! I will make the adjustments to the gear and hope for the best!!!
mdg76 is offline Find More Posts by mdg76
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:39 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
I run mine slightly tail heavy now that I've been flying for a while, and between that, and a washer under the retracts, it rarely if ever noses over anymore.

I *don't" recommend that noobies change the CG until you are cable of dealing with the extreme pitch sensitivity that a too-rearward CG can cause.

This is one change where you definitely want to 'sneak up on it' by making the adjustments (moving the battery higher and/or rearward from it's normal full-in position, or even adding some lead at the tail wheel bracket) in very small increments, and then stopping when it's clear that the ground handling is okay, but before any dramatic changes in how it handles in the air.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Feb 03, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Corsair vs P-47D

I was set on the P-47D as my 3rd plane. I've gotten really good with my top wing trainers and those types of planes. The Wing Tiger is a fun, large beast to toss around in the air.

I will be ordering a new plane this week. The P-47D or the Corsair. Both Parkzone, both with optional flaps and both can be upgraded to include the retractable landing gear.

Any significant differences I need to know about before I pull the trigger?
Bigjay302 is offline Find More Posts by Bigjay302
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:30 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,698 Posts
the corsair is a nice machine.. but people are having their planes broken due to the hinges... so go ahead and get the p47.. proven.. until they fic the hinges and trunion problems for the corsair (retracts issues)
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:44 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,200 Posts
I hove both the new corsair and the p47. No question about it, get the p47. HH still hasn't addressed the issues with the corsair.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
Thank you very much friends. Let the ordering commence in t-minus a few days
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:06 PM
Stitching 'em back together!
United States, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Jun 2012
385 Posts
I'll third the P-47. I currently fly the jug and would love to get the Corsair.(it's my favorite WWII airplane) However due to the issues with the flaps I'm holding off my purchase till Horizon gets the problem resolved.
stitch1 is offline Find More Posts by stitch1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
I'm excited! I've been doing tricks and stunts with the Wing Tiger for the past few days.

Quick rolls, sketchy front rolls, out of control flare rolls. I need to get some video...wait, i mean i need to get a good camera person because my wife couldn't care less.

The Wing Tiger V2 is stock running on a 3S 2200mah 11.1 LiPo. Will the P-47 be faster than the Wing Tiger? More nimble?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:44 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjay302 View Post
I'm excited! I've been doing tricks and stunts with the Wing Tiger for the past few days.

Quick rolls, sketchy front rolls, out of control flare rolls. I need to get some video...wait, i mean i need to get a good camera person because my wife couldn't care less.

The Wing Tiger V2 is stock running on a 3S 2200mah 11.1 LiPo. Will the P-47 be faster than the Wing Tiger? More nimble?
I've never flown the Wing Tiger, however with just a simple prop change to the Parkzone Extra300 prop the Jug will definitely be MUCH faster. Also in general high wing trainer type planes are usually really floaty, The Jug will most likely penetrate winds much better. I wouldn't call the Jug nimble, however a good warbird is fast before nimble.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,698 Posts
any suggestions on a stock performance comparable but 3 blade? anybody with good results? let me know
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY