Sweet! Thanks!
Barrett_G is online now Find More Posts by Barrett_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:34 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
like i said earlier.. i am planning on upsizing to 54 amp rated CC esc but if i understand correct, i am at risk to harm the stock motor now trying to swing an apc 10x6 4 blader? i do not get warnings on ecalc with these figures plugged in so you can see the confusion. with the stock esc typed in i get the warning im over the limit of the 30amp esc. still waiting on my watt meter. with this bigger esc should i still install external bec as insurance?
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:44 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
like i said earlier.. i am planning on upsizing to 54 amp rated CC esc but if i understand correct, i am at risk to harm the stock motor now trying to swing an apc 10x6 4 blader? i do not get warnings on ecalc with these figures plugged in so you can see the confusion. with the stock esc typed in i get the warning im over the limit of the 30amp esc. still waiting on my watt meter. with this bigger esc should i still install external bec as insurance?
With a 10x6x4 on there with a 50+amp ESC you should be ok. However, there are no known specs on the motor, but ecalc is saying the above combo will be 32 amps so that sounds about the same as the proven safe 10.5x9 extra300 prop.

As to a BEC, If you've got the room and have the extra $ by all means put one in there! I don't care if you've got a 1.21Gigawatt ESC it can still fail. And if the ESC fails and there is no BEC the plane is going only one way... DOWN! and hard. If you burn up a motor you can still deadstick the plane.

Also with that 10x6x4 it is going to feel a bit slow in the air. pitch speed of 51mph so in flight you'll see mid to upper 40s. Stock with a 9.5x7.5 is 68mph and with that Extra300 prop its 76mph.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:29 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
On 3s I use an APC 11x9x4 that I cut down to 10" diameter. The 9" pitch keeps this thing zipping around. This pulls about 38A. I use a 60A ESC for now. This is on the lower Kv power 25 motor, however. The stock motor will pull more amps than my setup.

You'll run into the same problems if you get the hobby lobby prop and start pitching it back too far.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:39 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
The 10x6x4 APC will work on the stock motor fine but the performance is not that good it is slower than stock, slightly better in the up lines but not that much.

I run that prop on my PZ Spit with the same motor.

Thats why I changed mine out for the G25 motor and tried the 11x6x4 APC it was ok but it really came alive when I got the HL 11 inch 4 blader. Even pitched down to get it under 40amps to try and keep the motor alive longer its a blast and thats on 3s.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:59 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
bummer on the speed! that might be a deal breaker!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:06 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
269 Posts
ok guys here you go some numbers on my plane
power plant
turnigy g25 710 kv motor
castle ice lite 75amp esc
castle 10amp bec
3000mah 40c 4s battery
hobby-lobby 9.5x10x4 prop
stock collet from the p47
Parkzone p47 4 blade conversion (2 min 38 sec)
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Last edited by jdm2ner; Jan 24, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:21 PM
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Sep 2009
240 Posts
What prop????
Buster1000 is offline Find More Posts by Buster1000
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
flying is everything
Joined Oct 2010
269 Posts
sorry guys its a hobby-lobby 9.5x10x4 did not change the pitch left it at 10
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:30 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Yes, works fine.
Thank you
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:12 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
jdm, please edit your original post to add the essential information:

Number of cells and C rating on battery
Prop (and pitch if it's adjustable).
Motor
ESC

It's not good to just piece this stuff together from various posts. You need to know the whole system to get an idea of the performance numbers. I think you learned this the hard way recently, right? I think it's a good idea to make sure anywhere you're listing amp or watt readings that you list all of the information right there so nobody misses anything ends up toasting something.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:42 PM
flying is everything
Joined Oct 2010
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
jdm, please edit your original post to add the essential information:

Number of cells and C rating on battery
Prop (and pitch if it's adjustable).
Motor
ESC

It's not good to just piece this stuff together from various posts. You need to know the whole system to get an idea of the performance numbers. I think you learned this the hard way recently, right? I think it's a good idea to make sure anywhere you're listing amp or watt readings that you list all of the information right there so nobody misses anything ends up toasting something.
yes i did learned it the hard way. lol i was using a hobby-lobby 11x10x4 on a eflite 60amp esc with an eflite power 25 870kv with a 4s and burned eveything up the plane did crash but the fuse was still on good shape just needed new wing
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:45 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
yes i did learned it the hard way. lol i was using a hobby-lobby 11x10x4 on a eflite 60amp esc with an eflite power 25 870kv with a 4s and burned eveything up the plane did crash but the fuse was still on good shape just needed new wing
Yikes!! Power25 and an 11x10x4 on 4S would be over 90amps according to ecalc. Glad to see the Jug has been resurrected

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
looks like until i can get a HL 4 blade and bigger motor my apc 4 is for static display only! those low MPH figures are a killer! i like my speed so i guess its back to extra 300 for me. i did notice with that prop number typed into ecalc it said over motor amp warning!!! also mentioned prop stall. ??? i have heard on hear people say its ok with totally stock setup with extra 300 prop as only change. seems over esc limit as well as motor?? where the hell is my watt meter when i need it!!!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:20 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Static over limit a little is ok. In the air that number drops about 10%.

Another good rule of thumb is that pitch speed - 10% is approximately max airspeed.

Static stall means that... I could go on, but who cares? You're not going to be flying on a bench.