HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:44 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I haven't tried the rudder gyro personally, but it seems to be the most requested feature of new 3-axis units, and is documented all over the place... but like I said, I haven't tried it myself.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:49 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2012
253 Posts
try it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
tell me what you did man... im going your way
See if you can get a cheap but good working gyro, i usually use e-sky's ek2-0704,
they work fine but there are a lot of other types out there that work nice aswell. The older e-sky modell works nice but needs a second to reset after you connect your electronics (dont move your plane during that time, just in case you use the same once).
Make sure you put the gyro it in the middle of the plane so its axis lays right at, or as close to the pivot point as possible. Also make sure that its save from any kind of vibrations or other shocks (loose cables or something like that that). I put mine on shockabsorbing doublesided tape, and i secured everything that might swing around in the plane.
If the gyro you use cant be switched off with your TX, make sure you start with the lowest settings (always the best way to start - if you use it on the rudder you can barely see it moving when you move your plane). If its movment i bigger dail it down for the first flights...you need to get use to the whole thing.
And then start testing, see how it works and slowly crank it up till you like how the plane responds / flys, slow steps r the key, and sometimes less is more, because if you crank it up to much you get the gyro jitters. Dont forget to test your plane in different weather conditions, if you adjusted it just for fine weather with no winds you might get problems in case you wanna have a nice flying day with 15knots of wind outside.....thats about it, the only thing i can say is that it works fine on my plane, take offs and landings are much more scale like, because the plane tracks much better on the ground...and in the air two of course, happy testing
WarbirdFan66 is offline Find More Posts by WarbirdFan66
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:52 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
are going 4s or 3s on the 4 blade prop?
im still on 3s, more then enough if you ask me...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:55 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrmiller View Post
My set up will be the 870 with 60 amp esc and a 11x10x4 variable. Will that work?
No, you'll burn the motor up (eventually). That pulls 50+ amps. This is even correcting for the fact that the hobby lobby 11" is really 10.875".

You could try it, but the point of checking this stuff out to make sure you're not over the stated limits of your equipment.

You could try a motor rated for higher current, but you'll just end up at with no decent run times. You could pitch the prop back, but once you go away from 10" on the HL prop you have to break the locking tabs off, and just trust friction to hold the pitch into place (so: not good).

Like I said before, I use the APC 11x9x4 prop, cut down to 10". This works well for me and my 870kv motor.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:59 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarbirdFan66 View Post
See if you can get a cheap but good working gyro, i usually use e-sky's ek2-0704,
they work fine but there are a lot of other types out there that work nice aswell. The older e-sky modell works nice but needs a second to reset after you connect your electronics (dont move your plane during that time, just in case you use the same once).
Make sure you put the gyro it in the middle of the plane so its axis lays right at, or as close to the pivot point as possible. Also make sure that its save from any kind of vibrations or other shocks (loose cables or something like that that). I put mine on shockabsorbing doublesided tape, and i secured everything that might swing around in the plane.
If the gyro you use cant be switched off with your TX, make sure you start with the lowest settings (always the best way to start - if you use it on the rudder you can barely see it moving when you move your plane). If its movment i bigger dail it down for the first flights...you need to get use to the whole thing.
And then start testing, see how it works and slowly crank it up till you like how the plane responds / flys, slow steps r the key, and sometimes less is more, because if you crank it up to much you get the gyro jitters. Dont forget to test your plane in different weather conditions, if you adjusted it just for fine weather with no winds you might get problems in case you wanna have a nice flying day with 15knots of wind outside.....thats about it, the only thing i can say is that it works fine on my plane, take offs and landings are much more scale like, because the plane tracks much better on the ground...and in the air two of course, happy testing
Well, I've used gyro's before. I just don't see the point on this plane. I fly this thing in 10-15mph+ winds every time I go out (there are no days with less than 10mph winds around here), and this airframe just doesn't need any stabilization. That's why I bought this plane, it's the best I've ever handled in the wind.

If anything would help in the wind, it's the AIL on a gyro, but on this plane even that's not necessary, IMO. Much less, rudder on a gyro. What is the problem there, weathervaning?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:05 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2012
253 Posts
a good bellylander...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
Anyone use the P47 as a belly lander? My main flying location neccesiates this and my PZ fleet P51, F4F and the old F4U are well suited for this thought I would ask as I set up my P47. Also wondering if the flaps are worth the effort for a belly lander?
i have to agree with *dav3uk*, she flys very nice and the belly landings work fine...put the protectors on the belly and your good to go. I have flown mine for quite some time as a belly lander, and if the grass i short enough even a 4-balded prop is not problem, never had any problems with the cowl or the prop for that matter.
(if you like check out my video....jump to 2:25 for the landing)

Parkzone P-47D Thunderbolt mod (4 min 19 sec)

And im also a big fan of the flaps, you dont need them but they make landings slower and easier, the extra weight is negligible and totaly worth it if you ask me
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Well, I've used gyro's before. I just don't see the point on this plane. I fly this thing in 10-15mph+ winds every time I go out (there are no days with less than 10mph winds around here), and this airframe just doesn't need any stabilization. That's why I bought this plane, it's the best I've ever handled in the wind.

If anything would help in the wind, it's the AIL on a gyro, but on this plane even that's not necessary, IMO. Much less, rudder on a gyro. What is the problem there, weathervaning?

guys.. remember my whole point.. i dont want to fly it with the gyro cause of the wind.. its to have a better straight line takeoff run... im not was good with my left stick as my right one
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:14 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2012
253 Posts
right, but...

Quote:

Dont get me wrong, i totaly agree with you, the jug dont need a gyro or a 3-axis system or that stuff, and it is probably one of the best warbirds money can buy right now....but if you ask me, she flys better with a gyro installed, smoother then she allready is, cleaner...more scale like, the take offs look cooler too...thats all.

You dont need a gyro, yes but if you like to tinker with that kind of stuff you might find out that you like it, like i did...so i kept it after i installed it in my plane...its a bit like the flaps, you dont really need them either, but they are a nice feature anyway...
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:18 PM
"I need more glue!"
United States, TN, Powell
Joined Dec 2011
58 Posts
Thanks jd.
good info,
As I stated earlier I appreciate all of the knowledge you guys have on this forum that can help me from augering one in due to my lack of knowledge on motors and props.
Oh and this is my first attempt at a custom build. I have the Parkzone Spit and Mustang, but kept them stock.

Quote:
No, you'll burn the motor up (eventually). That pulls 50+ amps. This is even correcting for the fact that the hobby lobby 11" is really 10.875".

You could try it, but the point of checking this stuff out to make sure you're not over the stated limits of your equipment.

You could try a motor rated for higher current, but you'll just end up at with no decent run times. You could pitch the prop back, but once you go away from 10" on the HL prop you have to break the locking tabs off, and just trust friction to hold the pitch into place (so: not good).

Like I said before, I use the APC 11x9x4 prop, cut down to 10". This works well for me and my 870kv motor.
bmrmiller is online now Find More Posts by bmrmiller
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:31 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Well, the truth is, on 3s, it's really, really hard to beat just using the Extra 300 prop. It's not as scale looking when it's not spinning, but it sure works great in the air, and doesn't cost much to replace. I would suggest using that prop for a while before going to a 4 blade. There's really not much difference performance wise (unless you're going to 4s). It is, however, a big performance increase over the stock prop.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:43 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrmiller View Post
My set up will be the 870 with 60 amp esc and a 11x10x4 variable. Will that work?
no not if you keep the pitch at 10 you will ove draw the motor at about 48amp you will have to cut it back to 8 and you will be ok but the speed will be much less about 54 on the pitch speed but if you go with the 9.5x10x4 you will be fine at 10* of pitch at 71 on your pitch speed. i fly the 9.5x10x4 and its good for me
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:45 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
guys.. remember my whole point.. i dont want to fly it with the gyro cause of the wind.. its to have a better straight line takeoff run... im not was good with my left stick as my right one
You should practice run ups more. I have no problem with this plane even in crosswinds as much as I used to....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Got it
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,919 Posts
I have a P25 eflite motor on mine and just got a extra 300 prop and a castle creations 54 amp esc to install in it. Rebuildiing it now from the last crash and making these mods at the same time. Should be interesting. It flew nice with the P25 motor on it with the stock prop but it was pulling close to 30 amps at WOT
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
If you were pulling close to 30 amps static.... then you are completly fine....