SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:15 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
planes dont need gyro, you need practice rudder.
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier668 View Post
Incorrect blanket statement. Some planes do in fact need a gyro! I will say this one doesn't though.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,758 Posts
I guess the "need" word is pretty strong.... its up to the guy who bought the plane to think if its need it or not... i wont lie to you... im not quiet good with the rudder at all its true... but if i want to make the plane easier to fly thats fine man... if you know how to use the rudder 100% i wish i could have your skills... but i do not.. i need help i was in denial mode about expo use... until i got my mini funtana x
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
I guess the "need" word is pretty strong.... its up to the guy who bought the plane to think if its need it or not... i wont lie to you... im not quiet good with the rudder at all its true... but if i want to make the plane easier to fly thats fine man... if you know how to use the rudder 100% i wish i could have your skills... but i do not.. i need help i was in denial mode about expo use... until i got my mini funtana x
Good rudder use comes from practice If you want to use the gyro that's fine but with a gyro on the rudder you'll actually need to use more rudder in turns to make it coordinated. The gyro will always try to keep the plane straight even when you want it to turn. To learn rudder skills watch the plane when it is flying. What you'll want to do is when ever you give it any aileron give about 1/4 as much rudder in that same direction. This is a good starting point. You'll find that your turns are smoother and look better. What you want to do is make sure that the tail is taking the same path that the nose took.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier668 View Post
I believe he's trolling. This sounds like someone who uses flaps because he can't land without them; or uses rudder to aileron mix because he can't apply it himself; or ... or ... or. Like most everything else, gyros are there for a reason, use them if you want.
canon1 is offline Find More Posts by canon1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canon1 View Post
I believe he's trolling. This sounds like someone who uses flaps because he can't land without them; or uses rudder to aileron mix because he can't apply it himself; or ... or ... or. Like most everything else, gyros are there for a reason, use them if you want.
Thats what i think... I usually turn without rudder with all my planes.. i guess i really need more practice but i want the gyro to take off anyway
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:23 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Thats what i think... I usually turn without rudder with all my planes.. i guess i really need more practice but i want the gyro to take off anyway
Well... there's turning without rudder, and then there's coordinated turns. Some planes don't need much rudder, if any, in turns. Others require it or the tail lags behind in the turn, making the plane look like its tail is literally dragging through a turn. It's good practice to use a little rudder in turns. Try it and see the difference. Note that a little rudder at the start of a coordinated turn goes a long way.

I have to admit, having learned to fly full-scale planes after learning RC as a kid really changed the way I fly the little planes. The habits my flight instructors grilled into me have served me well in RC, and coordinated turns come in handy.

As for landing with flaps, it's not a "cheat" or something that only bad pilots use. Heck, it's even one of the written FAA test questions, and the oral exam the FAA examiners put you through covers flaps extensively. It's the SAFE way to land. Now, do foam planes NEED flaps? Maybe not, but using them definitely makes landings slower, easier, and yes, safer.

Gyros are a matter of personal taste. I prefer not to use gyros or mixing in my planes with wingspans greater than 20" because I'm old school. I'm not saying that my school is better than anyone else's, but after 33 years of flying, I just prefer to not use them. With that said, I prefer my micro (UM) planes to have gyros so that I can practice in my neighborhood with a plane that feels like a bigger plane. AS3X does that, and it definitely helps.

Ultimately, if you want to use a gyro, DO IT! If you want to make uncoordinated turns or land without flaps, DO IT! But don't judge the skills or abilities of others based on whether they use flaps, gyros, or rudder.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:03 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
+1 on that Edge

It takes practice but once you get it the difference in your flying will be enormous, you will be taking off and landing with ease and cross winds wont trouble you.

The best practice you can get is taking off with a high power tail dragger as it forces you to correct every time.

If you can, find a good patch of tarmac like a car park or wide quiet road and practice high speed taxiing, dont take off just get used to steering with your rudder thumb. Its kinda strange at first but should get to be natural.

As well as making it easier to take off and land you will find every flight can be made to look smoother. Also sometimes it is better to use rudder than aileron ie when near the stall and you have a wing down, helps prevent tip stall.

There are so many flyers out there who only use the rudder for the odd hammerhead

Rudder is one of the primary flight controls and should be used.......after all without it we couldn't even taxi to the runway......lol

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,099 Posts
Good posts Edge and Dave. I have been flying just 1 year, all it on tail-draggers. I am still learning the proficient rudder use on landing. My take offs are good after a few hundred flights and countless hours on the simulator.

Working the throttle, rudder and elevator on take off is what learning to fly is all about. (now pull up your gear and make that gentle ascending turn) I wouldn't have it any other way. I suggest it is well worth the learning curve even if it does cause some slight embarrassment...
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,189 Posts
As usual Edge and dav nail the essence of the discussion.
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:01 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,355 Posts
I don't have a gyro in my P-47 but I have a Pitts Special that is gonna get one. That baby is a hand full! I have been flying it without a gyro and had too many close calls!
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,758 Posts
Thats so true guys... dont judge anybody... in the end it comes down to that
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:25 AM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Rudder is one of the primary flight controls and should be used
Very true! Many moons ago... ok back in the seventies... I had a situation where for some reason my aileron servo stopped working, fortunately in a neutral position. What to do I can't turn... oh wait! I have rudder control... I cut throttle and using the rudder to steer, made an emergency landing. I never did find the glitch in the aileron servo, everything worked fine and I never had a problem afterwards. But I was glad that I knew planes can be steered with rudder only.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:32 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,489 Posts
This may sound obvious, but practicing helps no matter what you hobby or profession is. Try flying around without using the ailerons or use the throttle as an elevator. Like 325th said earlier it might just save your plane. Some of my planes dip the nose with rudder only and others pitch the nose up. Good things to recognize, but you won't know unless you practice trying.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
P-47

Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:37 AM.