HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
I got an Extra300 on a trade. I find it to be a better wind plane than the Jug. I cruise around on 70% aileron and 65% elevator. Then jump to 115% for normal flying. But my Funcub has been my go to plane for breezy days. It just floats around and makes me use rudder to hover it and turn across wind...it's a good tool
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
I want some help with the gyros i need one for my P47 for the rudder.... where i fly i mostly have cross winds on a really short dirt strip and to my right theres a lot of trees... so this being a tail dragger i have to cross my finger everytime time i do take it off... so i might use it just for take offs.... since i do have to take off WOT everytime.. any info about it? a good one ? thanks
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
I want some help with the gyros i need one for my P47 for the rudder.... where i fly i mostly have cross winds on a really short dirt strip and to my right theres a lot of trees... so this being a tail dragger i have to cross my finger everytime time i do take it off... so i might use it just for take offs.... since i do have to take off WOT everytime.. any info about it? a good one ? thanks
I use the left thumb brand. Can be switched off and on as needed.

I fly from a very challenging area. 10* slope gravel/packed dirt runway about 6ft wide with 50ft trees on all sides including the approach side except the width of the runway plus about 20ft. This area is easily flyable by the Jug. The rocks can and do cause issues on landing and takeoff however I just expect that it is going to get a wheel hitting a rock and swerving the plane. Winds typically from the west in summer. Usually a 50-60* crosswind when I'm flying.

If you are that determined to put a gyro in it go ahead, but this simply is one plane that just doesn't need it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
got it... i just want my landings to be less painful.... that's all i want. all my other planes are easy to take off.. this one not so much!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarbirdFan66 View Post
Guys, im playing around with gyros for awhile now, and you are right the P-47 is not really in need of a gyro or a gyro-system but i still installed one in mine (on rudder).
And i did it because there are things that even the best rc-pilot cant handle or correct, or at least not fast enough.
For example a scale take off on a bumpy grass field (one thing you cant change, its the only field around). If you want your plane go in a straight, clean line for a nice scale take off, its impossible without a gyro, because the correction you would have to make when the wheels or tailwheel is jumping around had to be so fast that "no" pilot without help could do it.
And remember we are talking not about a autopilothere, It does not fly the plane for you, you can crash just as easily as before, even easier if you put one of those things in your plane and have no idea what you are doin.

Still if you have a good flying plane, i find that gyros just make it fly a little bit better, smoother and cleaner...again, yes the Jug dont not need a gyro...but it flys good with one, and because those things are so cheap these days i would say, try one, and see for yourself if you like it or not.

tell me what you did man... im going your way
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
The problem with a rudder gyro is that you need a way to shut it off soon after takeoff. It will fight aileron turns, otherwise.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
yeap.. thats exactly what i need to do
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
The problem with a rudder gyro is that you need a way to shut it off soon after takeoff. It will fight aileron turns, otherwise.
The aileron is on the roll axis. The rudder is on the yaw axis. A yaw axis gyro will not affect the ability to roll. If you do a coordinated turn with rudder the yaw axis function of the gyro is, in effect, neutralized as soon as you move the rudder stick.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:34 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
That sounds like a great application.

I used cheapo Detrum GY192s left over from a heli, so I can recommend it in this application. I would advise you don't use the switchable gain for the gyro, just leave that wire loose, and adjust gain as required with the screw driver adjustment on the face of the unit, starting low, and working up to only what you need to do the job.

Easiest setup is empirical, not based on figuring out axis of orientation, setting up gain in radio, switching on and off, etc.

BEFORE physically mounting the gyro, electrically insert it between the rudder servo and rudder channel where it belongs, then play with the orientation by moving the gyro case around in your hand, rotating the gyro around to observe the tailwheel/rudder deflection as you move. Doing this, it should become clear to you which way you need to tape down the unit in the fuse to make sure it is actually countering the effects of wind/drift, and not ADDING to the deflection!

Double check this once you get everything mounted, by positioning yourself behind the plane while it is on a table, and lightly but quickly tap the fuse to make the rear of the plane rotate/shift left. (This means the nose went right.) The gyro should apply LEFT rudder, as a correction, then stop. Tap the fuse into the other direction, and you should then get RIGHT rudder, back to about the center, if your taps were roughly equal impulses.

12 bucks:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1018.html
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Dec 29, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
The aileron is on the roll axis. The rudder is on the yaw axis. A yaw axis gyro will not affect the ability to roll. If you do a coordinated turn with rudder the yaw axis function of the gyro is, in effect, neutralized as soon as you move the rudder stick.
I agree.

There seems to be some 'lore' in the fixed wing world about needing to shut down a HH gyro on the rudder once underway, but my personal experience has been that when I am controlling the plane by using all normal stick inputs, (in other words, not sleeping on the left stick), the plane does exactly what I want, except that it counters any wind or ground yaw that might be induced outside of my own rudder inputs.

Maybe it's because flying helis has acclimated me to 'flying the tail' 100% of the time, but in any event, my own personal experience is that there is no need to disable and re-enable the gyro so that it's there for landing/takeoffs only.

The UMX planes have them on all the time, and they work great.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
That sounds like a great application.

I used cheapo Detrum GY192s left over from a heli, so I can recommend it in this application. I would advise you don't use the switchable gain for the gyro, just leave that wire loose, and adjust gain as required with the screw driver adjustment on the face of the unit, starting low, and working up to only what you need to do the job.

Easiest setup is empirical, not based on figuring out axis of orientation, setting up gain in radio, switching on and off, etc.

BEFORE physically mounting the gyro, electrically insert it between the rudder servo and rudder channel where it belongs, then play with the orientation by moving the gyro case around in your hand, rotating the gyro around to observe the tailwheel/rudder deflection as you move. Doing this, it should become clear to you which way you need to tape down the unit in the fuse to make sure it is actually countering the effects of wind/drift, and not ADDING to the deflection!

Double check this once you get everything mounted, by positioning yourself behind the plane while it is on a table, and lightly but quickly tap the fuse to make the rear of the plane rotate/shift left. The gyro should apply RIGHT rudder, as a correction, then stop. Tap the fuse into the other direction, and you should then get LEFT rudder, back to about the center, if your taps were roughly equal impulses.

12 bucks:

Thanks a lot my friend.... im going with you in mind when i try to do it next week... thanks
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
I agree.

There seems to be some 'lore' in the fixed wing world about needing to shut down a HH gyro on the rudder once underway, but my personal experience has been that when I am controlling the plane by using all normal stick inputs, (in other words, not sleeping on the left stick), the plane does exactly what I want, except that it counters any wind or ground yaw that might be induced outside of my own rudder inputs.

Maybe it's because flying helis has acclimated me to 'flying the tail' 100% of the time, but in any event, my own personal experience is that there is no need to disable and re-enable the gyro so that it's there for landing/takeoffs only.

The UMX planes have them on all the time, and they work great.
Thats what i was thinking.... i dojt know nothing about gyros... but i flew my friend umx beast and it was on all the time
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
I'm not talking about a 3 axis unit, I'm talking about using a single gyro on rudder, as was asked about.

This will be a PITA if you can't shut it off as soon as you're off the ground. Trust me.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:48 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
If you're into gyro, then you've probably programmed an ail/rud mix. If so, you're probably lazy with the rudder. The mix will take care of disabling the gyro initially, but when you pull the el the rudder will fight you causing some goofiness. It would be completely possible to be oblivious to all of this...
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Quote:

Double check this once you get everything mounted, by positioning yourself behind the plane while it is on a table, and lightly but quickly tap the fuse to make the rear of the plane rotate/shift left. The gyro should apply RIGHT rudder, as a correction, then stop. Tap the fuse into the other direction, and you should then get LEFT rudder, back to about the center, if your taps were roughly equal impulses.

12 bucks:

You might want to Double Double check this. If you tap the rear of the plane to the 'left', you need the gyro to apply LEFT rudder to bring the tail back. If you apply RIGHT rudder, it will cause the plane to turn sharply to the right.

The gyro should move the rudder in the direction the tail of the plane moves.

See:
Airplane Rudder Gyro Part 1 (13 min 2 sec)

and
Airplane Rudder Gyro Part 2 (14 min 10 sec)
canon1 is offline Find More Posts by canon1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)