SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Denny the "Finger"
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
[QUOTE=BlinkguY;23624629]...do not fly AT ALL in windy conditions... QUOTE]

I have to respectfully disagree with this approach.

There will more often than not be wind when you want to fly. While I wouldn't suggest flying in a wind storm, I do think wind should be considered a part of regular piloting. Wind is almost always present in some fashon.

If wind is a deterrent to your flying pleasure or safety (yours and others near you) then you should get enough practice and skill to fly in your chosen environment with comfort. The way you get that practice and skill is by utilizing a trainer to aide you, with either a real person or a computer simulation, or both! Also, flying other gentler or more forgiving aircraft in windy conditions will gain you some experience and build your confidence with learned skill. (three years with a super cub is considerable experience if it was regular)

Fearing the wind is not the same as respecting it and embracing it as a part of flying. Make educated decisions to fly based on your skills while also making use of training methods to push the envelope and learn new flying skills.

Ultimately there is no shortage of advice and opinions regarding wind and flying. The most important thing about it though is to do what you enjoy, the way you enjoy it. If flying isn't fun, what's the point?
D_Wright is offline Find More Posts by D_Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkzone fan View Post
i do not have flaps, and it is winter were i live (snow on the ground) do you think there is a way i can fly
Check this out...

Parkzone P 47 on Skis (2 min 17 sec)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,890 Posts
[QUOTE=D_Wright;23625077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
...do not fly AT ALL in windy conditions... QUOTE]

I have to respectfully disagree with this approach.
i know and you are completely right... my advise was especially to this guy cause he was flying only a super cub before jumping to a warbirds. with low wing.. short wing spam and almost double the weight... wind is always your friend.. until one point.... i was flying at 15 mph and gust at 20mph cross wind.. on high grass and my dirt strip was just at cross wind with trees all over the place so my advise to a rookie with only super cub experience.. WOOF!!!! he have guts so yeah man.. if a rookie wi a sp cub lp experience ask me again.. i have to say the same thing man... since the plane will not be as relaxing as a super cub since you have to be all over the controls with it when you are flying the first time a warbird in windy conditions... for example.. i do have a mini funtana x that i flew yesterday too, with the same exactly windy conditions and i manage a better landing twice with it than the p47.... does it means the p47 is more difficult to fly than a mini funtana x ? you know thats not even close to be true... but my previous experience made me land it better.. anyway man.. anybody is free to speak and not everybody will be blessed with the same skills when it comes to flying RC... im not as skilled as most of people but i do manage to fly my planes without crashing them so feel free to discuss with me anytime man... i like to help people and to be helped by other people!!!
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:37 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkzone fan View Post
anytips for a madian flight. just got of the super cub lp for three years also have a dx6i
Yes you should hold UP elevator when you are taxiing and at the start of your take off roll. But as you build up to flying speed ease off of the elevator so you don't pop off of the ground too early and stall.

Also, don't slam the throttle all the way up when you are taking off, but smoothly advance it so the plane has a chance to get up to flying speed before lifting off. Otherwise you risk the dreaded torque roll into the repair shop.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
Denny the "Finger"
Joined Dec 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Yes you should hold UP elevator when you are taxiing and at the start of your take off roll. But as you build up to flying speed ease off of the elevator so you don't pop off of the ground too early and stall.

Also, don't slam the throttle all the way up when you are taking off, but smoothly advance it so the plane has a chance to get up to flying speed before lifting off. Otherwise you risk the dreaded torque roll into the repair shop.
That is truly good advice. This bird does not taxi on grass or uneven ground very well at all. On nice smooth runway it is rarely an issue, if ever. I don't know about you guys, but for me, grass runway is easier to come by where I live. The only less than perfect thing I can say about this aircraft is regarding the size of the wheels and the rake of the extended gear. I don't know if it is exact to scale or if some liberties were taken for scale flight considerations, but some modding if these two items has been done with some success. I won't go into detail because there are videos on YouTube that show it all. Needless to say, with a shim and a better wheel grass becomes much more negotiable.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
finally got my JUG! stayed up till 230 am christmas night installing retracts and flaps. going to take the night off as i am sleep deprived before i jump back in to my weathering and custom paint with callie graphics. she is nice and safe in this little window recess. just fits with a bit of a banked turn mid flight. lol.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Last edited by walter3rd; Dec 26, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,890 Posts
Good work walt heres mine
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,890 Posts
Muahahaha
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:31 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Welcome to this thread, all new P-47D pilots! A few things to remember about this fabulous warbird!
  • First and foremost, there is no need to take off with flaps. In fact, it's a bad idea as you increase the possibility of a stall. Planes this size and weight do not need flaps to take off. Just don't do it!
  • If you're not familiar with taildraggers, familiarize yourself with ground taxiing by doing some taxi tests. Make sure the wheels are straight and that it tracks straight on the ground. Get used to steering on the ground with the rudder.
  • For takeoff from grass, make sure you hold full-back on the elevator and begin your roll. Then, as the plane increases speed, release back-pressure on the stick and allow the plane to climb gently. Also, you will need to counteract P-Factor with some right rudder. Right aileron may also be necessary once the plane takes off, but only a little.
  • If you installed retracts, pull 'em up. Don't forget to put them down for landing!
  • For landing, if there is no wind or very little wind, full flaps works great for landing. It slows the plane down so landing is much gentler and easier. Make sure to carry some power, and remember that your throttle is what controls your descent rate while the elevator controls your forward velocity while descending. If there is a little to moderate wind, land with half-flaps.
  • You may have heard about, read about, or even seen others nose-over on landing. There are a few ways to avoid this. First, as soon as the plane touches down, pull flaps all the way back up. Also, run your throttle up a little to allow the plane to decelerate slowly instead of quickly. In other words, don't cut your throttle when the plane touches down; give it a little to make the roll-out longer. This will make it not only look cool, but will allow the plane to slow down and keep it's tailwheel on the ground. Continue your taxi to the ramp and then cut throttle.
  • This plane is very sturdy and tough. It's one of the best Parkzone warbirds made, with some of the best engineering and the least number of problems reported. Make sure you check your components after every few flights, and remember to pre-flight inspect your plane before every flight.
  • Make sure when you check controls that you are not only checking for movement, but PROPER movement. Many maidens are ruined by not ensuring the ailerons are moving in the proper direction. An easy way to remember is that if you move your stick to the left, the left aileron should be UP, as in "thumbs up; it's working." Stick to the right, right aileron should be "thumbs-up."
  • If you plan on putting a bigger prop or a four-bladed prop on this plane, you will need a bigger ESC or you risk losing your plane.
  • Last but not least, post lots of pictures, video, and any questions/comments/flight reports you have. We love seeing that stuff, and we love answering questions about this fine aircraft!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mustang's Name and Artwork
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:27 AM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
[*]You may have heard about, read about, or even seen others nose-over on landing. There are a few ways to avoid this. First, as soon as the plane touches down, pull flaps all the way back up. Also, run your throttle up a little to allow the plane to decelerate slowly instead of quickly. In other words, don't cut your throttle when the plane touches down; give it a little to make the roll-out longer. This will make it not only look cool, but will allow the plane to slow down and keep it's tailwheel on the ground. Continue your taxi to the ramp and then cut throttle.[/LIST]
+1 on that advice

Once you are on the ground again remember to hold the elevator up again while taxiing.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:10 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
This plane is absolutely the best PZ warbird, hands down. It is such a great plane that spoils you! I am going to redo and repaint her soon.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:37 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
Newbies!

Don't put the four blade on until you have flown it a bit. The Extra 300 prop is OK. It is a very good prop on this plane.

P 47 Maiden (0 min 40 sec)
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Welcome to this thread, all new P-47D pilots! A few things to remember about this fabulous warbird!
  • First and foremost, there is no need to take off with flaps. In fact, it's a bad idea as you increase the possibility of a stall. Planes this size and weight do not need flaps to take off. Just don't do it!
  • If you're not familiar with taildraggers, familiarize yourself with ground taxiing by doing some taxi tests. Make sure the wheels are straight and that it tracks straight on the ground. Get used to steering on the ground with the rudder.
  • For takeoff from grass, make sure you hold full-back on the elevator and begin your roll. Then, as the plane increases speed, release back-pressure on the stick and allow the plane to climb gently. Also, you will need to counteract P-Factor with some right rudder. Right aileron may also be necessary once the plane takes off, but only a little.
  • If you installed retracts, pull 'em up. Don't forget to put them down for landing!
  • For landing, if there is no wind or very little wind, full flaps works great for landing. It slows the plane down so landing is much gentler and easier. Make sure to carry some power, and remember that your throttle is what controls your descent rate while the elevator controls your forward velocity while descending. If there is a little to moderate wind, land with half-flaps.
  • You may have heard about, read about, or even seen others nose-over on landing. There are a few ways to avoid this. First, as soon as the plane touches down, pull flaps all the way back up. Also, run your throttle up a little to allow the plane to decelerate slowly instead of quickly. In other words, don't cut your throttle when the plane touches down; give it a little to make the roll-out longer. This will make it not only look cool, but will allow the plane to slow down and keep it's tailwheel on the ground. Continue your taxi to the ramp and then cut throttle.
  • This plane is very sturdy and tough. It's one of the best Parkzone warbirds made, with some of the best engineering and the least number of problems reported. Make sure you check your components after every few flights, and remember to pre-flight inspect your plane before every flight.
  • Make sure when you check controls that you are not only checking for movement, but PROPER movement. Many maidens are ruined by not ensuring the ailerons are moving in the proper direction. An easy way to remember is that if you move your stick to the left, the left aileron should be UP, as in "thumbs up; it's working." Stick to the right, right aileron should be "thumbs-up."
  • If you plan on putting a bigger prop or a four-bladed prop on this plane, you will need a bigger ESC or you risk losing your plane.
  • Last but not least, post lots of pictures, video, and any questions/comments/flight reports you have. We love seeing that stuff, and we love answering questions about this fine aircraft!
I wish this advice would have been up about two months ago when I maidened mine. The thumbs up thing would have saved my plane. This is very good advice on this plane. The only thing I would add is putting some invasion stripes on the wing. With overcast skies this plane is very easy to lose orientation .
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
I wish this advice would have been up about two months ago when I maidened mine. The thumbs up thing would have saved my plane. This is very good advice on this plane. The only thing I would add is putting some invasion stripes on the wing. With overcast skies this plane is very easy to lose orientation .
damm man.. i know it sucks.. it spoiled my T-34 mentor eflite last winter.. lucky me i only lost a prop and a broken canopy plastic.. rookie stuff... but hey... look at the bright side... that will never happen again to both of us

ps.. did you buy the air-frame again? im anxius to fly this thing again... but honestly i live in nj and winter weather sucks!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
717 Posts
I didn't have to buy the air frame, the nose broke off right under the cowel, so I was able to glue it back together and you can't even see it when the cowel is installed. I shredded about a half inch of the wing tip. So I got pretty lucky.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy