HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Assuming 950kv, and the extra 300 prop, you'd be at ~33A.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Dec 2012
87 Posts
i want a warbirdas my second plane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a super cub lp and was think of getting a parkzone p-47d for christmas i do not no what to do will it be to hard for me to fly?
parkzone fan is offline Find More Posts by parkzone fan
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Nov 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
What Kv motor and prop?
950 kv with stock 9.5 x 7.5 prop
bayoubengal is offline Find More Posts by bayoubengal
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:22 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
That will pull 21A, but with less thrust and speed. Longer flights, however.

If it were me, I'd put a turnigy ae-45A ESC in there. I've had the BEC fail on me one too many times with the eflight 30A that comes stock. I currently have the eflight 60A ESC in there now, so no reason to change. I just now like that AE series now because you can switch the BEC voltage now
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkzone fan View Post
i want a warbirdas my second plane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a super cub lp and was think of getting a parkzone p-47d for christmas i do not no what to do will it be to hard for me to fly?
I suggest getting an ultra micro T28 first. Then either the big T28 or this plane.

The P47 is a little harder to handle on the ground due to being a tail dragger. Both fly very well.

The UM suggestion is just to get you used to warbird flight characteristics where it doesn't cost anything to crash
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Nov 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
That will pull 21A, but with less thrust and speed. Longer flights, however.

If it were me, I'd put a turnigy ae-45A ESC in there. I've had the BEC fail on me one too many times with the eflight 30A that comes stock. I currently have the eflight 60A ESC in there now, so no reason to change. I just now like that AE series now because you can switch the BEC voltage now
Have one of these do you think would be adequate?
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...sc-p-1628.html
bayoubengal is offline Find More Posts by bayoubengal
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I don't see why not, if you've trusted that one in the past.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:51 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,360 Posts
if i install flaps and retracts on the stock plane should i need to upgrade electronics at all for reliability reasons? is there such a thing as to big of an esc?
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:51 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,302 Posts
Enjoy, I upgraded the quality.
Parkzone P-47 Thunderbolt Flight Review (10 min 11 sec)
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
if i install flaps and retracts on the stock plane should i need to upgrade electronics at all for reliability reasons? is there such a thing as to big of an esc?
The stock electronics are fine with the addition of flaps and retracts.

Always good insurance to add a BEC. That will give you a clean power supply to the Rx, separate from that being supplied to the motor, to protect against brown outs.

From an electronics perspective you can't have too much Amp capacity in an ESC. But overly large ESC's come with cost, weight and size penalties. It makes more sense to use an ESC that will give you some overhead (capable of 5-10A more than required by the stock system) or in the event you want to prop up a bit in the future.

It's a good idea to use a meter to test your amp draw, watts and voltage to see where you are in those measurements compared to the recommended specs for the components with any set up.
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Last edited by 19000rpm; Dec 17, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:54 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,360 Posts
could you recomend a good BEC for the p-47? im pretty new at the electronics game. thanks. walt
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:40 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
could you recomend a good BEC for the p-47? im pretty new at the electronics game. thanks. walt
There are alot of BEC's out there, some better than others. You'll want a switch mode BEC especially if you're ever thinking about running anything other than 3S batteries. My personal favorite is the Castle Creations 10 amp BEC. It's switch mode, can be programmed with the Castle Link programmer for different output voltages (if needed) it comes pre-programmed at 5.1 volts, can take up to 6S input and only weighs 11 grams. Price is around $20. That's just my personal opinion.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,431 Posts
here is what i use

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...for_Lipo_.html
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,360 Posts
thank you so much for the help. i would cry if i crashed my new baby from brown out! are they straight forward to install the bec in the p-47? what skills should i need to pull this install off? im a contractor by trade and like doing things like this but have no experience as of yet. i do like this aspect of the hobby alot. just want to know what im up against. thanks alot for ther guidance so far. really appreciate all the help. walt.
Last edited by walter3rd; Dec 17, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,193 Posts
Quote:
thank you so much for the help. i would cry if i crashed my new baby from brown out! are they straight forward to install the bec in the p-47? what skills should i need to pull this install off? im a contractor by trade and like doing things like this but have no experience as of yet. i do like this aspect of the hobby alot. just want to know what im up against. thanks alot for ther guidance so far. really appreciate all the help. walt.
I like the castle 10A as well, although there are may 5volt 5-10A BEC's that work. As advised, a switching BEC is preferred by many.

You need to know how to solder. Here's a wiring diagram.

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ro_wiring.html

The steps: 1) disconnect or cut the red wire from your ESC's 3 wire connector at the connector. That's where it plugs into the Rx.
2) solder the BEC's red and black wires to the ESC's red and black wires (power wires) at a convenient place.
3) plug the BEC into the battery port on your Rx.
4) insulate all solder joints.
Now when you plug the ESC into the battery the power for the Rx is routed directly there through the BEC.
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm