Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:37 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
269 Posts
thanks guys. it does mean more . my wife loved it but she said "now if you only dont crash her"
lol
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,141 Posts
Makes me want to build a silverback....see what I did there?
JDMJim is online now Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
seriously considering this plane for a christmas present to myself. i really want to add the retracts. do you guys that have the retracts installed think they will hold up well to smooth dirt use? my lz is a baseball infield that is usually remarkably sooth compacted sand like earth and clay mixture. if i am able to touch down smoothly would you see a problem with these holding up well? if i get this plane i want to fly without gear hanging down and i love landing so belly on grass is a last resort. thanks for the thoughts on this. walt.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,890 Posts
Jajajja walter you are just like me... my wife will give it to me... she thinks i dont know

And yes... i already went to inquire about it a d people say these retracts are really good for got they say
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:15 PM
too many planes
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Sep 2012
146 Posts
Walter< Your going to love this plane. Yes, you can land on a baseball infield. If you buy the Eflite retracts they are very stout. I would suggest flaps because the infield can be a little tight at times and you want to slow down as much as possible. Have a great Christmas buddy...
ww2birder is offline Find More Posts by ww2birder
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:42 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
perfect! i will do the flaps as well. looking forward to the fat man in the red suit!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,141 Posts
I have flown on the Eflite retracts for over a year. I think moisture took its toll on one and it failed. Shame since I retrimmed my ailerons and did some touch up work. I haven't flown the plane much recently due to high winds of the autumn/winter here. I even am ready to try a lower flap setting. But that will all have to wait til I get that retract working again. I miss my T-Bolt
JDMJim is online now Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
seriously considering this plane for a christmas present to myself. i really want to add the retracts. do you guys that have the retracts installed think they will hold up well to smooth dirt use? my lz is a baseball infield that is usually remarkably sooth compacted sand like earth and clay mixture. if i am able to touch down smoothly would you see a problem with these holding up well? if i get this plane i want to fly without gear hanging down and i love landing so belly on grass is a last resort. thanks for the thoughts on this. walt.
The E-flite retracts are extremely tough. I've been flying mine for two years off a very rough grass runway. no problems at all. Just put a washer or shim behind the back screws to rake the gear slightly forward to prevent nose-overs.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
how thick should the washer be? just got confirmation that santa is getting the wife an i-robot roomba and i will be getting the p-47 with flaps and retracts! yea yea! life is good! p.s. -trying to order the prebent struts for the retracts but they are not listed for the p-47 i guess there out of stock? anyway to install without them? bummer!
Last edited by walter3rd; Dec 14, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
how thick should the washer be? just got confirmation that santa is getting the wife an i-robot roomba and i will be getting the p-47 with flaps and retracts! yea yea! life is good! p.s. -trying to order the prebent struts for the retracts but they are not listed for the p-47 i guess there out of stock? anyway to install without them? bummer!
Hobbyzone has the pre-bent struts PKZ5317 in stock, but you can use the struts that come with the retracts as well. You just have to cut them to length.
rgwilson is offline Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
rgwilson, your the man! just ordered them. thanks alot sir! happy flying. walt now that i am getting this sexy bird for christmas... who knows where to get a 4 blade prop? its the only thing missing i can see at this point. thanks, walt.
Last edited by walter3rd; Dec 14, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:25 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
269 Posts
do you want to fly it on a 3s or 4s on a 4 bladed prop
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:31 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
i would prefer 3s if possible. if not i guess i could try a 3 blade. i think it needs something prettier than a 2 blader.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:31 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,373 Posts
As far as I know no P-47 ever had a 3 blade prop and It makes me shudder to imagine it. Don't do it.

Next question is how fast do you want to go? I took advice when I started and I bought Hobby Lobby's 11" scale four blade. Don't use it until you practice a little . No sense breaking an expensive prop. Anyway, I went to a larger ESC and then set the prop to minimum pitch. That way the stock motor and 3S work great. Now some guys are going to say it is slow. Well I'm here to tell you that it won't go 100 mph but it will go pretty fast and it really looks cool! Guys make a big deal out of prop speed and so they want lots of pitch, but remember this. When a full size planes wants maximum power to climb or take off the pilot sets it for minimum pitch = Maximum
power. Minimum pitch will give better vertical and longer flight times.

P 47 Maiden (0 min 40 sec)

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_4_b...18581_prd1.htm

by's.
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Last edited by nageotte; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM.