HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc641 View Post
I fly mine HARD with a 4s 2200 40c pack on the eflite power 25 1250kv motor and a 9x9 prop. Never had any problems at those speeds and no reinforcements of any kind have been used
+1 No problems with mine either. Lot's of flights.

All foam planes will soften up over time. That's the best reason for buying an extra airframe.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
the CG still fine after that?
I dont push the lipo all the way into its pocket and its fine, I have a mark that I line the lipo up with.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:53 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
I dont push the lipo all the way into its pocket and its fine, I have a mark that I line the lipo up with.

Dave
I like a very neutral CG(just north of neutral), and with a 4s setup, my 2200 pack mounts so far out of the hole, that the canopy rubs it. A extra piece of Velcro, and the strap still hold it fine.

I've found from tinkering, and tuning, that this plane does not like a nose heavy setup! I kept pushing the pack back, chasing that sweet spot, until the airframe stopped wiggling during Windshear, and now it's Rocksolid! Even in a 10-15 cross wind!

Flap-erons!!!

Btw!!! I'm the guy that set up his flaps as extra Ailerons. This weekend we had great weather, and I played around with the flap-erion mixing. It's amazing how slow you can fly this plane with the flaps down, Then add in flap-erons, and this thing is stupid fun! I was literally flying it at a walking pace, doing figure eights, and it refused to stall a wing!!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Nov 21, 2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:10 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
+1 No problems with mine either. Lot's of flights.

All foam planes will soften up over time. That's the best reason for buying an extra airframe.
Add to that the common sense that the airframe wasn't designed for those speeds, and that way a sudden airframe failure in flight won't be a surprise when it happens.

There's a reason they put specs on motors, as well as a reason they put certain motors on an airframe. At least you know this, and that's good!!

It's those guys that buy a J3 Cub and try to break the sound barrier, then get pissed when the plane explodes during a high speed dive and pull up that need schooling. You know, like never dive at full speed and pull up suddenly, and don't put a jet turbine on a paper airplane.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:33 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
You know, like never dive at full speed and pull up suddenly, and don't put a jet turbine on a paper airplane.
But you can put a jet engine on a WACO biplane as the late Jimmy Franklin proved. I saw him fly this plane at an airshow. Truly amazing!

Jimmy Franklin's Jet Powered Waco Worlds Best Aerobatic Demo (9 min 26 sec)
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Last edited by 325FGP; Nov 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: late night grammar error
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,062 Posts
[QUOTE=Moonbeam;23331061]Add to that the common sense that the airframe wasn't designed for those speeds, and that way a sudden airframe failure in flight won't be a surprise when it happens.

The P47 airframe may not have been intentionally designed for higher than stock speeds but it certainly will handle them in my experience.

I've been flying both a 25 powered, 4s, P47 and Spit for over a year and a half each with no issues. And believe me, I'll be VERY surprised if either one falls apart in the air. The only structural mod was a little CF in the Spit wing. I would have done that if it was kept stock. Without the CF the wing was a little flexy for my comfort.

I believe a little common sense is appropriate when it comes to aerobatics with these souped up airplanes. I wouldn't recommend endless drill bit rolls or continual loops at WOT. That is going to soften the airframe up sooner, rather than later, and possibly invite a failure.

Most of the time I fly these planes at 3/4 throttle, but like the increased acceleration, high speed passes and unlimited vertical, from time to time, that the mods allow at WOT.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:19 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Very cool!

Just like Jimmy Smith you need to reinforce the airframe if you're going to push it.

When I built mine for high performance I glued in the horizontal stab and also glued the stab to the elevators, Making for a much more rigid elevator. there's some things you can do to reinforce the wings also. I haven't done yet, because I don't see any flex(and I beat the hell out if it!) but when I do, I'll add Carbon fiber reinforcement Where needed..

Check out this video on YouTube:

Parkzone p47 "One trick jug" (5 min 45 sec)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:39 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by op1900 View Post
I see many of you guys are using 4s setup. Let's assume I have G25 motor installed, what is the preferred setup? I just want it to be most efficient as far as performance goes. Nice speed and enough power without sacrificing a flight time. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Some time ago I was using an E-flite Power 25 (1250kv), E-flite Pro 60 ESC and an APC 8x8 prop.

Video was dopplered at around 110 mph.

Turnigy 4S 2200 & 2650 packs fit perfectly no need to cut foam.

As others have said the prop will make a big difference to current draw. The 8x8E prop drew around 53 amps but the 8x8 Sport drew around 43 amps.

I did not reinforce anything either. Even after many, many WOT flights I never had any problems with cracking or folding etc.

Have a look at the E-flite Pogo thread if you want to do some more reading as I believe the 4S Power 25 (1250) setup was designed specifically for that plane.
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
Nice thing with that motor is that even on 3s, it's still a BEAST! I fly with an 11x8 apc e or the xtra 300 10.5x9 prop
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,062 Posts
Most of the time I'm flying with a 10X6X4 APC on the 4S Power 25 set up. I sacrifice the top end for the look and sound of a 4 blader.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,585 Posts
My friend Shaun's stock PZ P-47 with some low passes today.

http://youtu.be/cQh13D3c-Xk?hd=1
Realms is online now Find More Posts by Realms
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I've been working on belly touch and goes....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
But you can put a jet engine on a WACO biplane as the late Jimmy Franklin proved. I saw him fly this plane at an airshow. Truly amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyXzy8AzOxo
Jimmy is the man!!! Is he still alive, or did he die in that collision way back? I can't remember. I've seen him perform, but I don't think I ever saw him with the super modified WACO. It may have been just before he did that mod. EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up. Yes he died. R.I.P.
[QUOTE=19000rpm;23333440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Add to that the common sense that the airframe wasn't designed for those speeds, and that way a sudden airframe failure in flight won't be a surprise when it happens.

The P47 airframe may not have been intentionally designed for higher than stock speeds but it certainly will handle them in my experience.

I've been flying both a 25 powered, 4s, P47 and Spit for over a year and a half each with no issues. And believe me, I'll be VERY surprised if either one falls apart in the air. The only structural mod was a little CF in the Spit wing. I would have done that if it was kept stock. Without the CF the wing was a little flexy for my comfort.

I believe a little common sense is appropriate when it comes to aerobatics with these souped up airplanes. I wouldn't recommend endless drill bit rolls or continual loops at WOT. That is going to soften the airframe up sooner, rather than later, and possibly invite a failure.

Most of the time I fly these planes at 3/4 throttle, but like the increased acceleration, high speed passes and unlimited vertical, from time to time, that the mods allow at WOT.
See, you're doing it RIGHT!! It's those guys that don't take that into consideration when they over fly their planes, then come on here and slam the manufacturer for making a "weak" plane, that get me angry.

I totally agree that if you're going to "push" an airframe, this bird can take it. Like the real P-47, Parkzone did a fantastic job replicating the ruggedness. The difference I notice when flying the PZ P-47, and then the PZ P-51 is almost exactly like what the pilots who flew the real ones discribe. Pretty neat!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Nov 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:48 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,292 Posts
I finally stopped procrastinating and am trying to finish my Razor conversion. I filled the goofy panel lines in and will use chart tape to make them more believable.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
Nice! That's getting a proper restore.