HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Well now I just watched a video on YouTube and the guy said if you go to slow on take off it will torque to the left. He said just go full speed ahead and it takes off nice and straight. I need to find a Rc plane school :-(
Yes, if you go too slow on take off, there is a good chance that it will stall and left would be the probable direction of the stall because of torque. You DO need to have enough speed for the plane to be flying on the wing before horsing it off the ground. However, as has been said many times on this thread, you need to advance the throttle smoothly to full. If you just go from off to full power you run the risk of the plane jumping off the ground too quickly and the torque monster will make your life miserable. You didn't mention the type of surface you were flying from. If it's grass you will probably need to hold UP elevator until you build up some speed to keep from nosing over. As you get moving, slowly let off the elevator so you don't pop it off the ground too fast. Practicing taxiing and take off runs is a great idea so you can get used to how the plane reacts on the ground.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:53 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Yes, if you go too slow on take off, there is a good chance that it will stall and left would be the probable direction of the stall because of torque. You DO need to have enough speed for the plane to be flying on the wing before horsing it off the ground. However, as has been said many times on this thread, you need to advance the throttle smoothly to full. If you just go from off to full power you run the risk of the plane jumping off the ground too quickly and the torque monster will make your life miserable. You didn't mention the type of surface you were flying from. If it's grass you will probably need to hold UP elevator until you build up some speed to keep from nosing over. As you get moving, slowly let off the elevator so you don't pop it off the ground too fast. Practicing taxiing and take off runs is a great idea so you can get used to how the plane reacts on the ground.
Thanks for the advice, I was flying off a asphalt parking lot. It's not very smooth either. I'm going to find a smooth lot somewhere tomorrow and really work on my ground skills. I guess if I can't taxi well I have no business trying to get into the air. I've learned to fly with micros and a supercub. I know now that the supercub is good for learning how to fly, just not how to take off. I just gun it and it goes. I do have a simulater, and I like it but I just don't think it is very good for real life maidens.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
well, try a longer takeoff run on the Supercub...I jumped from a Micro to this...So you could imagine my learning curve altho it wasn't that bad...There's nothing like the satisfaction of watching your plane get up on the front wheels before it lifts up....But practice these techniques on your Supercub
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:07 AM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
560 Posts
Anyone that has flown a 4 channel plane before can "fly" this plane. The trick is getting it into the air and back down on the ground again.

I had the pleasure of watching ryramZ fly his at NEFI in 2011 and his take offs and landings were simply amazing. Nice smooth take off runs with an easy climb to altitude. 100 ft roll outs on the mains before the tail settled to the ground on landings. Touch and goes where the plane rolled along on the mains before lifting off again. Made me jealous. Also made me practice more. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:39 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Anyone that has flown a 4 channel plane before can "fly" this plane. The trick is getting it into the air and back down on the ground again.

I had the pleasure of watching ryramZ fly his at NEFI in 2011 and his take offs and landings were simply amazing. Nice smooth take off runs with an easy climb to altitude. 100 ft roll outs on the mains before the tail settled to the ground on landings. Touch and goes where the plane rolled along on the mains before lifting off again. Made me jealous. Also made me practice more. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.
That's really nice of you to say. I appreciate that very much. Practice is the name of the game. I'm posting a video from my Youtube channel which talks about why our airplanes exhibit this left handedness. Let me know what you think subscribe, share and comment. Make sure you go to our channel and check out some of our other videos. We do flight training and airplane reviews.

Again, those our very kind words and I truly appreciate them. Hopefully I'll get the pleasure to fly with you and your brother again. Always a great time in Muncie, the best flying sites in the world.
Why does my airplane always go left (10 min 44 sec)
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I'm one of the few that get nice long roll outs at our field. It's quite rewarding.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
I'm one of the few that get nice long roll outs at our field. It's quite rewarding.
It's a great feeling isn't it? The jug behaves as well on the ground as she does in the air. Good stuff!
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,560 Posts
So finally did maiden today and this is what I found

Flies well

Not overly impressed with power but has stock prop so that'll have to change

Rolls good

Landings arent overly hard

Flaps work well to keep nose up

Damn tail wheel came off again on landing. Came off first time I tried to maiden and I though I fixed it

Anyone else have issues with tail wheel.?

Also how do you guys compare this to power vs t28?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
ledpole
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
3 cell Propellor Recommendations

OK so I've given up on getting my EFlite 25 to run on 3 cells. tried all suggestions/recommendations from the power forum, its either a motor or ESC problem but thats for another day. From what I read here I'm ordering the suggested Tunegy 25 870kv and have 60amp ESC. Want to fly on 3 cell 2200 & not get into buying more batteries (4s) or adding weight. Seems most prop recommendations are 4 blade & 4 cell setup. How about recommedation for 3 cell and not needing to rip up the sky. just looking to get into the air with a "safe" prop. However, in the spring will probably consider getting more exotic once I get a few flights under my belt. I hope to order prop(s) when I order motor.
What works for you 3 cell flyers?
thanks Leon
ledpole is offline Find More Posts by ledpole
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledpole View Post
OK so I've given up on getting my EFlite 25 to run on 3 cells. tried all suggestions/recommendations from the power forum, its either a motor or ESC problem but thats for another day. From what I read here I'm ordering the suggested Tunegy 25 870kv and have 60amp ESC. Want to fly on 3 cell 2200 & not get into buying more batteries (4s) or adding weight. Seems most prop recommendations are 4 blade & 4 cell setup. How about recommedation for 3 cell and not needing to rip up the sky. just looking to get into the air with a "safe" prop. However, in the spring will probably consider getting more exotic once I get a few flights under my belt. I hope to order prop(s) when I order motor.
thanks Leon
run those # for you and ecalc has you w/3s and a hobby-lobby 9.5x10x4 @ 32.82amps and a pitch speed of 72mph hope that works
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:42 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledpole View Post
thanks Leon
I am using the STOCK 15 size motor from PZ, stock prop and esc, works great for me. I suspect the G15 might be slightly smaller than the spote PZ 15 size motor. The G15 is only going to be about 5 mm SHORTER than your current Power 25, so if you don't think the prop will be pushing up against the cowl 1/2 cm closer than it currently sits, and you want something close to (likely a bit more power than) the STOCK motor, try the Turnigy Easymatch G15 950 KV motor. That said, the G25 870 kv motor should work fine for you on 3 cells as well, and give you more range in power and prop, with that bigger ESC you have in it and be a direct replacement for the Power 25.

Still can't figure out why the Eflite Power 25 is not working for you though, as there is no reason it should not work with a 3 cell lipo. What is it about it that is "not working" for you?

Good luck with what ever choice you make. You'll love this plane though, she is a great flyer.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:06 AM
ledpole
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
my bad, need suggestions for 2 blade prop.

should have mentioned I want to go with a 2 blade prop for now, I have flown but electric is new to me, I'm switching over. Does that mean I'm Bi ??? LOL By spring should have a better feel for plane & will probably be doing the extras (4 blade prop, flaps & retracts). As far as getting motor to run, have been trying different suggestions from this site for over a week. It just does not want to recognize a 3 cell battery. No power to motor with 3c, have tried rebinding several ways, even to new blank model on TX. I can just change batts from 3s to 4s and the 4s works. All batts fully charged. The 60A ESC is susposed to be self detecting between 3/4 cells & no setup for it in manual. I don't own a 2200mah 4s Actually borrowed one for expermentation. Have several 3s. just got a watts meter & dont know how to work it yet. & dont want to buy a bunch of props. Figured someone here has something that works.

Thanks again.
ledpole is offline Find More Posts by ledpole
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:17 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
267 Posts
ok the extra 300 prop is a 10.5x9x2 on the same set up ecalc has your max amps @ 29.66 and your pitch speed @ 68.
watt meter is very easy to use. just plug it inline between the esc and the battery. all its going to tell you is the max watts or amps you are pulling this way you know if the motor can handel the prop you are using. just remember that you will sumtract 15-20% of the static number because the prop will on load in the air and draw less. hope this helps.
here is the the ecalc link use it. its a strart and you can try different prop sizes without having to buy them. http://www.ecalc.ch/indexcalc.htm
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,744 Posts
quick question guys.. are the retracts for the baby the same as the new pkz corsair? i mean, are they as weak as the ones for the new corsair? thanks
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,437 Posts
Not even close. These are bullet proof by comparison.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen