HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledpole View Post
bought a swap meet PZ P47. Its a little rough but still looks OK (from a distance). Wing was cracked in 2 spots but I put some 2mm carbon rods in with Welders glue and now think cracked side is stronger then the good side. Owner changed to EFlite .25 1200kv and 60A ESC. Didn't know it at the time. I was looking for stock set up. I have several 3cell 2200 and wanted to use them. Having problems getting motor to run on 3 cell so looking to move back to around a .15 (stock set up) See lots of guys going to the bigger motor set up. I really dont need the speed. will be happy flying at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. Have seen the stock ones fly and look OK to me. EFlite motors are a little expensive, looking for options.
PS if flys as good as the others will probably be adding flaps & retracks, looks to be addictive
Thanks for your setup ideas
Not sure what's wrong with the Eflite, but if it's bad, you could try Hobbyking for a 25 equivalent at about 1000 KV, and I'll bet she will wake right up.

Maybe: PRODUCT ID: G25-870 US warehouse about $26.

With that KV, you can prop it to run either 3S or 4S... check out ecalc on line to get prop dia and pitch dialed in just right for your desire of power/speed versus flight time.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Nov 09, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:16 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,472 Posts
first that is a great motor you got there. she loves a 10x7e or 10x10e on 3s don't worry she will fly can even get up to 100mph on 4s with a 9x9 or 8x8 my was clocked at 81mph with a 10x10e 3s
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
first that is a great motor you got there. she loves a 10x7e or 10x10e on 3s don't worry she will fly can even get up to 100mph on 4s with a 9x9 or 8x8 my was clocked at 81mph with a 10x10e 3s
BTW, just to be clear, I agree - the Eflite 25 motor is considered a good one, not sure why it would not be getting the job done, unless it's under-propped.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:27 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,634 Posts
Put one of these bad boys in the already stable Parkzone - jug

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tabilizer.html

not its hands off and fly with a beer
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
BTW, just to be clear, I agree - the Eflite 25 motor is considered a good one, not sure why it would not be getting the job done, unless it's under-propped.
yes that was what i was thinking something is right she will fly scale with that motor just no 4 bladed prop
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:14 PM
ledpole
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
motor runs but only on 4S. I have plenty 2200mAh 3S and is reason I bought plane. For me I don't need to fly 80+. I do have a YAK 54 and only fly it 3/4 throttle. I'll probably go with a HK 15 as suggested. I already have a EFlite 25 ESC lying around. thanks. some great ideas here but I just bought this one as a knock around plane.
ledpole is offline Find More Posts by ledpole
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,398 Posts
2- cents here -i've never used flaps on take off either! THEY ARE NICE FOR LANDINGS! P.S.-Fish really liked your vid!
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Tape works, but for added insurance, I run a thin bead of Elmer's Glue on the foam before slipping it under the plastic guide. Just wipe any excess off with your finger and it drys clear. Very easy to break loose, just run a razor blade between the foam and plastic to "cut the glue". Takes about 8 seconds total to remove the horizontal tail.
I run mine with tape only at over 100mph and never had a problem. But it won't hurt things either
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:56 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
2- cents here -i've never used flaps on take off either! THEY ARE NICE FOR LANDINGS! P.S.-Fish really liked your vid!
Thanks Kevin, it is quite old, from before I had a good camera, but for illustration purposes figured it was better than some of the new ones which are mostly just flying, not take offs or landings.

I don't use flaps on take off any more either, just landings. No need on take offs, as it's very scale looking without and with you really have to watch the elevator to keep it from popping over on the nose. The roll to take off is also REALLY short, so less scale looking.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:59 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Sounds a LOT like you stalled out on take off, was the tail flying before you pulled up? How long was your run out? What throttle setting were you at? It can happen when you don't run up to a high enough speed and then pull up at too high an angle. Stalls a wing, snaps over and in you go. This can be accentuated if you are jamming the throttle forward and pulling up early in the take off roll as now you have too little air speed AND you have a lot of torque from the motor twisting the plane to the left.

If you don't have someone around to help you with those first take offs then try slowly feeding in throttle on take off roll, use rudder to keep the nose straight. Let the TAIL come up before even trying to pull the plane off the ground. Once your tail is flying, then GENTLY pull up into a nice gradual climb out.

As you learn about the plane you will be able to shorten the take off rolls quite a bit, as there is a LOT of power in the stock setup.

Not pushing views, but if you want to see my maiden video I did a TON of take offs and landings with this plane. 2:20 gets you to the start of the series of Take offs and landings, the best example is likely at 4:50 on a running track.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Marlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP2NX-YSOwI
Thanks Marlin, that video was really helpful. I think I was using way to much throttle and it just torqued over. I guess flying these large warbirds just isn't the same as flying my supercub. I'm still. Going to try and get someone at the field to show me how to take off before I try and fly it again. I got it all glued back together tonight so hopefully Sunday I will have some success!
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:24 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
671 Posts
Well now I just watched a video on YouTube and the guy said if you go to slow on take off it will torque to the left. He said just go full speed ahead and it takes off nice and straight. I need to find a Rc plane school :-(
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:10 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,531 Posts
University of Hard Knocks has one of the best RC Plane schools in the country.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Well now I just watched a video on YouTube and the guy said if you go to slow on take off it will torque to the left. He said just go full speed ahead and it takes off nice and straight. I need to find a Rc plane school :-(
One of the things I do before I even get a new plane off the ground is do ground testing. So rather than fly it, drive it around on the ground and practice getting up to speed and then shut down as the plane gets light on the wheels. I've done this with every plane, even my scratch builds. Good to know how your plane handles on the ground. You gotta get the tailwheel straght in relation to the rudder and it will get out of adjustment. I knocked mine out last weekend doing crosswind landings since the plane 3 pointed with a good amount of right rudder....Only one one can't ground test well is the Neuiport cuz of it's tail skid....uncontrollable on asphalt....be patient and practice that and see where that get's ya!
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:43 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
University of Hard Knocks has one of the best RC Plane schools in the country.
Unfortunately I'm just a freshmen at the school of hard knocks, but I think I might make honor roll if I destroy one more plane :-)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:48 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
One of the things I do before I even get a new plane off the ground is do ground testing. So rather than fly it, drive it around on the ground and practice getting up to speed and then shut down as the plane gets light on the wheels. I've done this with every plane, even my scratch builds. Good to know how your plane handles on the ground. You gotta get the tailwheel straght in relation to the rudder and it will get out of adjustment. I knocked mine out last weekend doing crosswind landings since the plane 3 pointed with a good amount of right rudder....Only one one can't ground test well is the Neuiport cuz of it's tail skid....uncontrollable on asphalt....be patient and practice that and see where that get's ya!
Well it's supposed to be pretty windy here tomorrow. I was going to try and go to the field as a guest, but now I think I'm going to find some smooth asphalt and practice on the ground. So the object is to get the tail of the ground and still keep it straight with rudder I assume. That's good advice