Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Hi all,

I just picked up the P47 from my LHS yesterday and will be assembling it tomorrow. I was wondering if taping the horizontal stab is a secure enough way to keep the stab attached? I know this would make it an easy install and easy fix if it gets damaged later. I just want to see what peoples experiences are with just taping it. I did a search on "build" and "tape" and didn't find any complaints.

Thanks,

Mike
Tape works, but for added insurance, I run a thin bead of Elmer's Glue on the foam before slipping it under the plastic guide. Just wipe any excess off with your finger and it drys clear. Very easy to break loose, just run a razor blade between the foam and plastic to "cut the glue". Takes about 8 seconds total to remove the horizontal tail.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:36 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Tape works, but for added insurance, I run a thin bead of Elmer's Glue on the foam before slipping it under the plastic guide. Just wipe any excess off with your finger and it drys clear. Very easy to break loose, just run a razor blade between the foam and plastic to "cut the glue". Takes about 8 seconds total to remove the horizontal tail.
Thanks for the tip.

Mike
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
two years of flying with a taped stab has worked for me...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:40 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
two years of flying with a taped stab has worked for me...
+1 for me
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:16 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,486 Posts
Flew the ol' Jug today... was a notably calm day. Every time I fly it, it builds more confidence. Did a low pass inverted over the runway about chest high today. Was a first for me, felt great, no drama, able to just roll 'er back over and climb out at the end. What a great plane. Did a slow-and-dirty fly-by upright with gear down and full flaps a couple of times, and a couple of fast passes too, with the Extra 300 prop and G25 motor singing along... a couple of straight axial rolls up high, then some snap rolls, and finally a big air gobbling large loop. Ended it all up with the usual greased P47 landing. I nosed over during taxi due to tail wind, so once I get that one little part wrung out, it's all gravy from there!

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:19 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Flew the ol' Jug today... was a notably calm day. Every time I fly it, it builds more confidence. Did a low pass inverted over the runway about chest high today. Was a first for me, felt great, no drama, able to just roll 'er back over and climb out at the end. What a great plane. Did a slow-and-dirty fly-by upright with gear down and full flaps a couple of times, and a couple of fast passes too, with the Extra 300 prop and G25 motor singing along... a couple of straight axial rolls up high, then some snap rolls, and finally a big air gobbling large loop. Ended it all up with the usual greased P47 landing. I nosed over during taxi due to tail wind, so once I get that one little part wrung out, it's all gravy from there!

Just as taxiing into the wind requires up elevator, taxiing with a tailwind requires down elevator.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Just as taxiing into the wind requires up elevator, taxiing with a tailwind requires down elevator.
I've heard that, and it makes perfect sense... just haven't made myself do it yet. When I mention it at our field people look at me like I'm crazy -- I think they just 'race' down the taxiway to keep the tail down with up elevator both directions!

Next time we have strong winds, I'm going to play around with down elevator on the downwind taxi.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
PACubFlyer103
United States, PA, Media
Joined Mar 2011
119 Posts
I maidened my mostly stock Parkzone P-47 this morning. I got up bright and early so the winds would be lite an I would have the park all to myself. Took off from the dirt baseball diamond and she was airborne in less than 20 feet. Had a great 6 minute flight. She felt real good in the air. Needed just a little bit of left aileron trim to fly straight and level. I landed without flaps back on the diamond.

Put in a fresh battery and took off again. Never went beyond 3/4 throttle. After another great 6 minute flight I brought her in for another easy landing without flaps.

I can't wait to get back out again. I'm waiting for a set of retracts to arrive. The weather here is supposed to be crappy until the weekend so my next flight may have to wait until Sunday.
PACubFlyer103 is online now Find More Posts by PACubFlyer103
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:42 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts
I'm buying a used one tomorrow for $100 new wing and cowel I hope it's nice
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:45 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I've heard that, and it makes perfect sense... just haven't made myself do it yet. When I mention it at our field people look at me like I'm crazy -- I think they just 'race' down the taxiway to keep the tail down with up elevator both directions!

Next time we have strong winds, I'm going to play around with down elevator on the downwind taxi.
This is the way you do it in full scale. When the wind is at the back on a tail wheel plane you hold forward on the stick. You also should be using the ailerons to keep the upwind wing down in crosswind as well.

There is a catch at this scale though. The tail is so light and there is so much prop wash that you may nose over anyways. On pavement you'll probably be safe but on grass even doing everything correct with a moderate tail wind you WILL nose over.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:34 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,354 Posts
Another good trick is.. If you trim your Throttle up to a idle, the plane will always have a hair of forward momentum, but it also has a slowing Affect.. I always run a idle on my electric planes, its softer on the equipment, and it mimics a gasser..

You can see me set the idle in this video, and how much it helps the landing! I don't even Use the flaps.

YouTube:<br/><br/>
Parkzone p47 "One trick jug" (5 min 45 sec)
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:43 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,773 Posts
Idle is not a bad idea. It is easier on the ESC in my opinion too because when the motor windmills(diving throttle off) it is generating electricity that is going back into the ESC giving the FET board a ripple effect in reverse.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
^^ if there was a way to harness that windmill effect to recharge the battery.....I took many electrical classes so I know and it bugs me...But remember! If you by chance hit LVC at idle, You can't shut down the motor to reset the Esc....

Many of wind generators are converting to AC. basically a reversed variable frequency drive...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:10 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
This is the way you do it in full scale. When the wind is at the back on a tail wheel plane you hold forward on the stick. You also should be using the ailerons to keep the upwind wing down in crosswind as well.

There is a catch at this scale though. The tail is so light and there is so much prop wash that you may nose over anyways. On pavement you'll probably be safe but on grass even doing everything correct with a moderate tail wind you WILL nose over.

-Brian
Bingo. For 1:1 or even larger scale model aircraft where the speed can be well-regulated to remain below the prevailing windspeed, I'll bet it works a treat.

Today we were favored with winds gusting to 20mph, and after flying my other planes I thought -- "Hey, I have the P47, why not try the downwind taxi elevator technique?"

So I did a normal into-the-wind take off, and flew a normal flight, with the Jug handling the wind with not much problem at all. My landing was fortunate in that the gusts steadied up to about 12-15 just long enough for me to grease the landing. So I am ready to turn it around, and I got it just headed downwind, and held down elevator. I'd say the technique works... for about two or three feet. At that point, my ability to regulate ground speed, combined with the chunky nature of the grass field and the changable nature of the wind, made me nose over anyway.

So at the end of the day, with our very light park-sized models, flying off of our rough field, it seems the most workable solution is to do what most others with experience out there have advised me: just give up on trying to keep it to a scale speed for the downwind ground handling, and instead be sure to taxi fast enough so that up elevator works in all directions, for whatever wind you have that day.

Since you are taxiing downwind, you can go pretty fast in a strong tailwind, without generating appreciable main wing lift to worry about.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:54 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts
So I just got my new p-47 today and was wondering if anyone is using a four blade prop on just the stock 3 s set up. I see a lot on here four the 4 s setup. If so what kind of prop are you using and where can I get some? Thanks for any input.
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy