HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12 View Post
Thanks for the feedback on that, I really want to run the HL 4-blade on mine, were there any mods to the firewall to get the P32 to bolt to it? or did it bolt to the holes that the plastic motor mount was using to hold it to the firewall?

One other thing what size 4S pack are ya running and what kind of run time? I am not an WOT guy and practice good throttle management most of the time
I drilled new holes in the firewall and used some beefy screws from the tool box..

You wont be able to run WOT for long as it will go out of sight... I run a 2500 30c and get almost 10min out of it.. I am not a WOT guy either.. At half throttle it flys like stock at full throttle..
kingleh is offline Find More Posts by kingleh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:04 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingleh View Post
I drilled new holes in the firewall and used some beefy screws from the tool box..

You wont be able to run WOT for long as it will go out of sight... I run a 2500 30c and get almost 10min out of it.. I am not a WOT guy either.. At half throttle it flys like stock at full throttle..
Sounds good I opted for the Hacker A30-10XL V2 for this ship I do have good TH management so I should get some good times and some good power if and when needed.

Went with this motor because of the AUW I will be at with All options and 4S batt, will see how it works out.
skypan12 is online now Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:05 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
248 Posts
well took her out today after an all nighter trying to get th d-day invasion strips done and let me tell you she looked great. i had one flight and it flew great . second flight she would not make it home. i fried the power25 870 and my eflight 60amp esc using the hobby-lobby 11x10x4 prop on a 3000mah 40c 4s battery. i dont know if using the 4s instead of a 3s had anything to do with it but im back to the drawing board for a motor for this plane. what have you guys been running with this prop? please help!
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
9,883 Posts
if you don't have a watt meter you should at least use this site 94.22 amps on a 4s yes it will smoke

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?ecalc
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: very fun FPV
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:04 AM
AMA 884978
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,096 Posts
A separate UBEC probably would have saved you the plane. The motor OR the ESC would still be fried though. I am not (have never been) a proponent of using the HL 4 blade prop on 4s as I think it creates to many rpms and loads on the prop. It's not a SOLID prop either and is held together via a PLASTIC hub - not reinforced nylon. But to each his own.

I have been running mine on the MP 25 which is the cheap knock off of the E-Flite Power 25. Same KV at 870kv. I use the HL 4 blade prop and fly only on 3s batteries of 25 - 30c. I have probably over 100 flights on mine and it is fine. Flies only slightly faster than stock but looks very "scale" doing it. The speed is not an issue for me. It does have a much better climb ratio than stock though. Thrust is better.

I would strongly suggest that the first addition you make toward your rebuild is a UBEC. Especially if you intend to go all out for power and/or speed.

Hillbille
hillbille is offline Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:26 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,863 Posts
Sorry to see your plane like that. None of mine have ever come home like that ....

This plane is one of my fastest and it has one of the smallest motors. I use a power up 480 plus motor >here> http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...80-Plus/Detail on 4s with a 60esc and 10x10 prop with good throttle manage ment it will amaze you for 5 minutes.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
flying is everything
Joined Oct 2010
248 Posts
i was running a castle 10 bec had no help from that.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:43 AM
flying is everything
Joined Oct 2010
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
A separate UBEC probably would have saved you the plane. The motor OR the ESC would still be fried though. I am not (have never been) a proponent of using the HL 4 blade prop on 4s as I think it creates to many rpms and loads on the prop. It's not a SOLID prop either and is held together via a PLASTIC hub - not reinforced nylon. But to each his own.

I have been running mine on the MP 25 which is the cheap knock off of the E-Flite Power 25. Same KV at 870kv. I use the HL 4 blade prop and fly only on 3s batteries of 25 - 30c. I have probably over 100 flights on mine and it is fine. Flies only slightly faster than stock but looks very "scale" doing it. The speed is not an issue for me. It does have a much better climb ratio than stock though. Thrust is better.

I would strongly suggest that the first addition you make toward your rebuild is a UBEC. Especially if you intend to go all out for power and/or speed.

Hillbille
which one are you using. the 11" or the 9.5 and at what pitch
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,175 Posts
I think either a watt meter, or eCalc would have saved that plane-- forget the BEC.

First, assume at least half the answers to your question on the Internet (even here) are coming from crackpots. YOU always MUST double check as best as you can any advice you get.

All of those components are fine on this plane, just not in that combination. But nobody gives that complete of an answer, so if one pieces it together and assumes it will all work together... without either checking the numbers or actually testing the setup, then you get what you got.

ECalc and the turnigy 7-in-1 meter are both awesome. Please buy.

So success is:
1. Chat here
2. run eCalc
3. Buy stuff
4. Bench test it (to double check eCalc)
5. Enjoy

On the rebuild, no sharpie in the panel lines, please. I've been holding that comment back for days now, but it's 2am...
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:20 AM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
The key there is the number of cells, not the prop. ECalc will show you this right away.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:03 AM
AMA 884978
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,096 Posts
Quote:
I am using the 11" at factory (non altered) pitch.

Hillbille
hillbille is offline Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:09 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingleh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12 View Post
Sounds good I opted for the Hacker A30-10XL V2 for this ship I do have good TH management so I should get some good times and some good power if and when needed.

Went with this motor because of the AUW I will be at with All options and 4S batt, will see how it works out.
Very nice!! I'm running a 820kv torque motor/airboss 45esc, and 4s 2200's.. Due to the lower Kv I should be fine swinging a 11x 10 four blade.. I Haven't watt tested it yet, but if its over 700watts at 50amp ill pitch the blades back a bit. My hitec servos, and eflite retracts are Being powered by a castle cc bec. I'm running the hitec RX direct from the main pack threw its SPC port. This is a nice Hitec option, that isolates the RX power so I bad servo can't pull down the RX voltage, and cause brown out.

I had it happen one time, now all my planes have RX direct power, isolated.. Plus you can see pack voltage on the RX screen telemetry with no added equipment.

I did purchase a CustomRC.com aluminum motorount.
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Oct 17, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:45 AM
too many planes
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Sep 2012
138 Posts
Build it.... Fly it....Crash it....Fix it....Repeat....Love this hobby I have the 11" HL prop and the speedy comes back pretty warm on a 3s pack. Fly a 4s , OUCH, but I guess you already know that.
ww2birder is offline Find More Posts by ww2birder
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:25 AM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
781 Posts
with the Hacker A30-10XL V2 I am going to use the max watts for that motor is 850watts Max, I will have an CC Ice Lite 75 esc and the HL 4-blade, I will have watt meter checking static watts and if they approach the 850 range I will back the pitch off on the prop till I get to my target of 800 watts or little less.

The 75 ice lite should be enough as I will probably peak in the 60 amp range, but for not very long, going over the specs of this motor with Aero Model Hacker Brushless I was told to pay attention to the watts I am drawing with the 4s batt packs.

On paper this works out staying in the 800 watt range for the prop, and AUW of the ship to make a great combination.

we will see
skypan12 is online now Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:24 AM
Never look down
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Jun 2007
374 Posts
Quote:
well took her out today after an all nighter trying to get th d-day invasion strips done and let me tell you she looked great. i had one flight and it flew great . second flight she would not make it home. i fried the power25 870 and my eflight 60amp esc using the hobby-lobby 11x10x4 prop on a 3000mah 40c 4s battery. i dont know if using the 4s instead of a 3s had anything to do with it but im back to the drawing board for a motor for this plane. what have you guys been running with this prop? please help!
I love the razorback in the invasion strips. I wish you had more pictures of it. When you get it back together, do us a favor and take more pictures then post them. Good Luck!
Hack73 is offline Find More Posts by Hack73