HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Do you mean you removed the BODA on the O7 RX? I'm not certain that's a good idea. It certainly won't cost the weight you added with the metal motor mount, but could save your model.

A little weight on this thing won't hurt. It'll just fly Even Better in wind. Who wants a floaty jug??

Remember to double check your CG before you fly. I had to add an ounce of lead to the tail of frame #2 to get it to balance properly. And I had to fly her into the ground at 60mph to figure that out (frame survived, just a little wing glue needed! new cowl, prop) The stock mount was unscathed, BTW, which is why I keep saying "what on earth could be better than the stock part" for that motor mount.

For a cheaper motor, I've got an exceed 3020-950kv motor in my 3DHS plane that weighs HALF of the P25 for the same output. I may try this in the jug to get it to balance without the lead tail weight.

I run an A9 as well. I suggest running a SPC lead off of the ESC for this plane.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Also, no idea why you need a separate BEC if you're using an A9 radio. Use the SPC directly from the lipo, it's way safer than using a BEC when you don't need it.

BECs are for those spektrum cave folks who have all those brownout issues...

The only plane I use a separate BEC on is my 3DHS, but that's only so I can get 6V output to make the HS65s snappier for aerobatics.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I removed the boosters, and cases for 3d a long time ago.. When all they had was Optima7's. it cuts the weight by more than half! Been flying the A9, and hitecs 2.4g from day One. Hitec actually says its fine. I don't fly very far away anyhow..

I power the RX from 4s power with the spc(it can take something like 30v?) and the servos/retract with the BEC. A bit redundant but a servo can't pull down the RX, and optima7's are power hungry!

I fly fast, and make fast transitions, in the past I've found the switching BEC regulated, gives the best power to the servos, with no fade. This is going to be a different type of jug. We're taking bets to see if I can torque roll it with the flaps ganged as ailerons.. I also bet someone I can do the snake with it!

I'm going for light with a neutral CG..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
So is the airboss an opto ESC, then? I thought it had a switchable output BEC onboard...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
It's a older one with a 5amp.. Not strong enough for all this stuff.even at 6a There designed to run four 65mg's.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
817 Posts
I am trying to decide if flaps are just cool looking or do they really work to slow things down some.

My set up is with the Power 25, Ice 75, 4'Blade prop, 4S 3000 batt, Eflight main retracts and Robart TW retract so I may be on the heavier side of things from stock set up.

So will the flaps be helpful with a little heavier ship?
skypan12 is offline Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,306 Posts
You really think it's a radio brand thing? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Also, no idea why you need a separate BEC if you're using an A9 radio. Use the SPC directly from the lipo, it's way safer than using a BEC when you don't need it.

BECs are for those spektrum cave folks who have all those brownout issues...

The only plane I use a separate BEC on is my 3DHS, but that's only so I can get 6V output to make the HS65s snappier for aerobatics.
neck is online now Find More Posts by neck
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12 View Post
I am trying to decide if flaps are just cool looking or do they really work to slow things down some.

My set up is with the Power 25, Ice 75, 4'Blade prop, 4S 3000 batt, Eflight main retracts and Robart TW retract so I may be on the heavier side of things from stock set up.

I have a similar set up without the tail retract and the flaps make her a dream to land. Without flaps it lands quite hot. The flaps are worth it to get a more scale like landing.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Last edited by 19000rpm; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:52 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
I have just about the something beside the 75 I use a 60amp esc and the flaps are great she just floats right in
jdm2ner is online now Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:54 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12 View Post

The heavier the ship the more effect you get from flaps! I'd strongly recommend flaps for that setup.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:02 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
All my gear finally arrived; ready to start building now

Do i glue the h stab into place?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:09 AM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
817 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the Flaps guys I will put the flaps on it for sure
skypan12 is offline Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Quote:
Do i glue the h stab into place?
No, just 4 pieces of clear tape foam to plastic will hold it together just fine.
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Yeah, I have a bec on all of my planes, and all run hitec RXs with the psc. Redundancy never hurt anyone.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
Thanks

Wasnt sure about cf spare either
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29