HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster1000 View Post
This seems like a great warbird. I am considering flying the stock set-up without landing gear/retracts and no flaps. My concern is whether it can be hand launched without problems? How does she fly from the hand?
She flies great from hand launch. I underhand launch mine at a 40 degree or so up angle with full throttle. Works real well.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Like I said, I've never seen a FWD on the track, that wasn't a joke
really? If you know how to set them up, they will contend with similar powered rwd vehicles....I've seen a few even take out awd type cars on the track
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,605 Posts
Quote:
This seems like a great warbird. I am considering flying the stock set-up without landing gear/retracts and no flaps. My concern is whether it can be hand launched without problems? How does she fly from the hand?
You shouldn't have any problems at all with this plane. It's rock-solid and a great flyer. Without gear, you won't need the flaps as it'll be really light and will land nice and soft. I had to land once with my plane that has flaps/retracts gear-up and flaps-up due to a failing battery and I was surprised at how nice it landed on its belly with a very, very short slide-out.
Edge767 is online now Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Artwork Applied to the Mustang
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:44 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
really? If you know how to set them up, they will contend with similar powered rwd vehicles....I've seen a few even take out awd type cars on the track
Not saying its never happened, just that I've never seen it.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,517 Posts
Quote:
It's easy to hand launch,, here is my P-47, no landing gear , Park Zone Extra 300 prop (pictures posted earlier in thread). I have a pretty heavy 3S-2700-45C Lipo in the nose, too.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,451 Posts
320 pilot-nice series of pics on hand launching! I've been handlaunching for about ten years(pz Fab frank,old spit, and even my p-47 for awhile till i bought the e-flite gear,and the bf 109) your technique looks spot on-thanks for posting.
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,517 Posts
Thanks.
Normally I hand launch, smaller planes with my hand around the fuse, behind the wing. But the P-47 is so fat, and nose heavy, I can't get a good strong grip behind the wing. So I launch it with my finger tips in the open wheel wells at the C of G.
The tricky part is, as you launch this plane, keeping your elbow cocked forward, and some of the fuse in the palm of your hand, so you don't accidentally let the nose tip down.
Of course it helps to have it trimmed out at WOT, so it will make a gentle climb..hands off
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:42 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
272 Posts
Ok so I got all my parts in from Park Flyer Plastics and I started right away. Well the razorback back part is not that bad. The cockpit is another story. The pilot that it comes with is not that easy to put together. I just gave up on him and used my pilot from my crashed fms 1450mm p51 and the instrument panel sticker. I also had to make a false bottom and side panels out of a midwest brich plywood 1/32(0.8mm)x6"x12 and i used a tooth pick as a joystick
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
looking good Jd. heres some pics for a friend who requested them. i still plan to do tailwheel doors, lights, and the cockpit mods. i also have the eflite power 25 1250kv, eflite pro 60 esc, and the turnigy slow down module for the flaps.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,517 Posts
gchrisgo34,
Nice build! Did you use the E-flite retracts? Nice gear doors, Dubro tires too..
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:38 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
looking good Jd. heres some pics for a friend who requested them. i still plan to do tailwheel doors, lights, and the cockpit mods. i also have the eflite power 25 1250kv, eflite pro 60 esc, and the turnigy slow down module for the flaps.
Can you post a little description on how you did the inner doors and the tailwheel retract? Those are two things I want to do to mine.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,451 Posts
Those inside gear doors are nice-g HEYA 320-you may want to consider buying and installing some thin carbon fiber strip into the inside wheel wells on that p-47. Where you grip the p-47 with the thumb and index finger-those areas will break down alittle over time(i.e. you may lose alittle foam on the edge of the wheel well where the thumb and fingers are gripping) Believe me brother-two one inch pieces of cabon strip instaled and painted to match the wells is well worth it!
I did well on it till i installed the e-flites on my...... hey what's that to the left of my posting in my avatar pic? IT'S AN AWSOME P-47! P-47'S are awsome
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
theres some videos posted somewhere in here of how people before me did the inner doors and the tailwheel retract. i used a robart tailwheel & mounted it on a piece of plywood, glued inside the fueselage. ill try & find those videos & post where they are.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,710 Posts
Where is the servo to actuate it mounted? I have a rear retract sitting on my bench. Thinking about this now.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:19 AM
accel8or
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2010
486 Posts
What do you guys think about the Eflite retracts; are there better ones?
accel8or is offline Find More Posts by accel8or
RCG Plus Member