Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,992 Posts
Weather cooperated today, unlike yesterday's rainfest, so I got several flights on the P47. Outside of the muddy wet field conditions making it a bit challenging to taxi, it was a thing of beauty in the air. This is such a great airplane. I don't know how PArkzone got the combo of 'responsive' and 'stable' built into the same little model, but this airplane really does have both, and also really no bad habits, outside of that tendency to nose over if you don't rake the gear forward a bit.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered User
ufale's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
ufale wrote = I got the following numbers: 33.9 amps and 400 watts. I ordered the Hobby Lobby 4 blade, and I think it should be well within the limits of my esc.


I was thinking the 4 blade may bring the amperage draw above acceptable levels for this motor?
Thanks! I was not even thinking about the capacity of the motor. I think I might just stay with the two blade prop.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
Registered User
Mitchie's Avatar
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,586 Posts
I use the HL 4 blade, and I fly usually at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and over amping is not a problem. Yes, if you bench test at wot, the original motor will draw 55amps, but at anything less won't bother the cc50amp I have in it. I now run a power 15, and it's been running awesome.
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
Registered User
320pilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
2,402 Posts
Some pictures flying today, over a friends hay field. Tried to set up a #808 mini cam under the wing, to shoot video of his farm, but couldn't get the camera to stick to a velcro pad.
If you are landing in, or even flying over hay fields like this you better have a Lost Model Alarm! I do.
http://lostmodelalarm.com/LMA-P.html

P-47 is all stock, except it has the extra 300 prop. TP-3S-2700-45C LiPo gives it about 8 minutes flying at 1/2 throttle.
These are low res images, will get the hi-res pics tomorrow.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 23, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
320pilot's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
2,402 Posts
More pics from the launch! Notice how easy the P-47 climbs out , with the Extra 300 prop. Throw is pretty laid back.

My friend has a very good Nikon camera..
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:28 AM
Registered User
Unrealpie's Avatar
Taylor Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Weather cooperated today, unlike yesterday's rainfest, so I got several flights on the P47. Outside of the muddy wet field conditions making it a bit challenging to taxi, it was a thing of beauty in the air. This is such a great airplane. I don't know how PArkzone got the combo of 'responsive' and 'stable' built into the same little model, but this airplane really does have both, and also really no bad habits, outside of that tendency to nose over if you don't rake the gear forward a bit.
I agree with you 100%
I've had my jug from the day it hit the shelf's, once you really start to put some stick time on this air frame you will grow to love it more and more. I've got the retracts and flaps installed in mine and shes had 3 different paint jobs since her maiden. Easily my most flown aircraft and shes never been crashed, the only thing I've needed to replace was the propeller from said nose over on take off.
Unrealpie is offline Find More Posts by Unrealpie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:18 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
I use the HL 4 blade, and I fly usually at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and over amping is not a problem. Yes, if you bench test at wot, the original motor will draw 55amps, but at anything less won't bother the cc50amp I have in it. I now run a power 15, and it's been running awesome.
Just trying to be helpful here and in no way do I intend to sound like a know-it-all.... but though it may sound counter-intuitive, your ESC is still taking the full brunt of the amp draw potential, even if you throttle back...as a matter of fact, throttling back is harder on the ESC since it's dissipating the unused voltage as heat.

You're in the danger zone for that 50A ESC.

Lucien Miller from www.innov8tivedesigns.com (and Power Systems Corner on the awesome All Things That Fly podcast) explains this issue extremely well.

Please consider running a bigger ESC or a smaller prop.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:28 AM
I can fix it.
nageotte's Avatar
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,333 Posts
Again, I want you to take note. Running the prop at minimum pitch helps alot. Are you guys afaid it will be too slow? Think about this. real planes take off and climb at minimum pitch. It allows the motor to turn more RPM's and develop more horse power. Try it. It can easily be set back if you don't like it.
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
flying is everything
jdm2ner's Avatar
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
262 Posts
has anyboby tried this befor Parkzone P-47D Thunderbolt CNC Machined Aluminum Motor Mount E-flite Power 25
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:15 AM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Yes it works great! I've had that and a Power 25 on my P47 for months - it's a great combination!
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:20 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
startazz's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
has anyboby tried this befor Parkzone P-47D Thunderbolt CNC Machined Aluminum Motor Mount E-flite Power 25
I haven't tried that one but i did use the same sort of thing for my old PZ Spitfire (MKll) a few of years back,it was from a bloke from the USA i can't remember his name or company off hand,it was bang on what he said it was and the Turnigy 3536 1100KV motor worked a treat and no mods apart from the motor mount it's self was needed.

So if it's off the same bloke i'd say you will be fine and they are a lot stronger than the PZ ones,not that i've had a problem with theres.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:35 AM
flying is everything
jdm2ner's Avatar
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
262 Posts
thanks guys i will be buying thi as i will be upgrading to the eflite 25
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
LICobra's Avatar
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,206 Posts
4 blade over amping the motor

I here what you guy's are saying about the amperage passing through the ESC and over amping the motor, which are valid concerns.

I havent used the stock motor since the back portion seperated last year...I've used the power 25 (870kv) with the HL 11X10 4 blade since then and it does draw 51 amps in static tests.....the max amps for the motor is 44amps....just realize that the prop does unload in flight and the max amps will drop approx 15%...give or take a percentage point either way.

Pulling 51amps static...with the prop unloading 15% in flight thats 7.65 less amps...although it's just an estimate...it brings the max amp draw close enough the power 25's specs.
I've flown this combination with a BP hobbies 50A ESC and Castle Creations 10A BEC, 2200 3S 35C for well over a year with not a clitch with well over 150 flights....so I am confident to say, that the power 25, 50A ESC and HL 4 blade works well for me....if it didn't I would most definately report it.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Just trying to be helpful here and in no way do I intend to sound like a know-it-all.... but though it may sound counter-intuitive, your ESC is still taking the full brunt of the amp draw potential, even if you throttle back...as a matter of fact, throttling back is harder on the ESC since it's dissipating the unused voltage as heat.

You're in the danger zone for that 50A ESC.

Lucien Miller from www.innov8tivedesigns.com (and Power Systems Corner on the awesome All Things That Fly podcast) explains this issue extremely well.

Please consider running a bigger ESC or a smaller prop.
I disagree
the motor will only pull the amps it needs to run, period.
so flying at half throttle the motor will pull less amps.. less amps = less heat
volts x amps = watts = heat
flying WOT pulls more amps, more amps = more heat
less amps times volts will always = less heat vs more amps times volts

example:
1/2 throttle flying 20amps x 11.1v = 222watts
Static WOT 50amps x 11.1v = 555watts (more heat)

and like the pilot posted his setup runs awesome
can't argue what the pilot sees
his esc is plenty


and the comment about the "ESC dissipating the unused voltage as heat"
what about our planes sitting ready for take off with a full charged battery with not throttle input?
that would have max heat as your comment suggests...
because the esc sees the fully charged lipo at 12.4v
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Sep 24, 2012 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:45 AM
Registered User
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I here what you guy's are saying about the amperage passing through the ESC and over amping the motor, which are valid concerns.

I havent used the stock motor since the back portion seperated last year...I've used the power 25 (870kv) with the HL 11X10 4 blade since then and it does draw 51 amps in static tests.....the max amps for the motor is 44amps....just realize that the prop does unload in flight and the max amps will drop approx 15%...give or take a percentage point either way.

Pulling 51amps static...with the prop unloading 15% in flight thats 7.65 less amps...although it's just an estimate...it brings the max amp draw close enough the power 25's specs.
I've flown this combination with a BP hobbies 50A ESC and Castle Creations 10A BEC, 2200 3S 35C for well over a year with not a clitch with well over 150 flights....so I am confident to say, that the power 25, 50A ESC and HL 4 blade works well for me....if it didn't I would most definately report it.
Hi LICobra, using your configuration, and the 3s 2200 mah lipo, how much time can you fly?

Regards!
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion World Models p47 1.20 dards Fuel Warbirds 1 Oct 20, 2010 10:55 AM
Discussion E-Flite P47 or Parkzone Corsair?? Gobstopper Electric Warbirds 13 Dec 02, 2009 09:37 PM
Discussion New Parkzone p51 or Greatplanes P47 casedit Electric Warbirds 5 Sep 01, 2009 09:08 AM