HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:21 PM
Taylor Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Torque rolls ????? On stock setup???? I would love to see.
Yes, I can manage a torque roll and a half on a calm day. If I ever find anyone at my local field who can video halfway decent I will try to upload a video.
Unrealpie is offline Find More Posts by Unrealpie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:25 PM
Taylor Michigan
Joined Aug 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Man, I'm having issues with take offs..
I give it slow power, tail picks up and then noes goes in and shortens my prop..

4 attemps and still the noes goes in the ground during take off...

HELP

I did manage two flights with it about an hour ago, and one was on 4s.. that was a blast!
I'm going out flying this weekend, I will try to have someone video my take offs that way I can upload it here. Also note that I always attempt 'scale' take offs, however this p-47 will take off if in just inches if you gun it and get it up as fast as possible.
Unrealpie is offline Find More Posts by Unrealpie
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Manage your elevator as you are taking off. I typically start with elevator full-up/back and release back pressure on the stick as the plane increases its speed. It may take a time or two to get used to this, but the Spitfire and Corsair are the same in the St. Augustine grass we have here in East Texas; apply some up elevator and release just enough to let the plane get level and then you can milk it up off the ground as the plane has enough speed to fly safely.

Oh, and never use flaps on takeoff. These little planes don't ever need them to get off the ground, and will actually make takeoffs more difficult and dangerous.
YEP I LIFT OFF THE SAME WAY-The pz p-47 is the best imho of the pz warbird line-i just love this warbird
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:21 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,268 Posts
You guys having problems taking off, are you on pavement or grass? If grass, you have to "bump" the throttle a few times as you accelerate. There's no such thing as smooth acceleration on grass with the P-47 without nosing over. Once the wheels are rolling you can push the throttle up to full, just don't "jam it up" trying to do those 3 foot take offs.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:26 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Moonbeam, you broke a magnet loose
That was my 1st though until I checked and discovered they were all in place and secure......
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:35 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Manage your elevator as you are taking off. I typically start with elevator full-up/back and release back pressure on the stick as the plane increases its speed. It may take a time or two to get used to this, but the Spitfire and Corsair are the same in the St. Augustine grass we have here in East Texas; apply some up elevator and release just enough to let the plane get level and then you can milk it up off the ground as the plane has enough speed to fly safely.

Oh, and never use flaps on takeoff. These little planes don't ever need them to get off the ground, and will actually make takeoffs more difficult and dangerous.
+1 on what he said. No problemmo
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Brushless, it may not be so much you as the plane. Did you put washers in the back of the retracts to get wheels out more inline with the leading edge? Also, a nose heavy plane will be---nose heavy. don't use flaps to take off as that exacerbates the nose overs on take off if it is really nose heavy. Grass is also tough to take off from.
I did notice my wheels have a toe in..
moved them more straight and I am using black top as my runway..
thank you..

Quote:

You guys are great!
FLAPS!
no I did not know not to use them on take off..
ok one issues down and out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealpie View Post
I'm going out flying this weekend, I will try to have someone video my take offs that way I can upload it here. Also note that I always attempt 'scale' take offs, however this p-47 will take off if in just inches if you gun it and get it up as fast as possible.
Awesome thank you!!

I hope to fly again in an hour or so...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, AR, Benton
Joined Jul 2007
81 Posts
Easing takeoff from grass

Quote:

+ above - I also use an 8' section of carpet runner obtained at Home Depot as a short runway when taking off from grass. It is about 2.5' wide with a smooth finish and rubber coating on bottom. Helps get planes like the P47 and my Habu moving forward with less "friction" to build up eough momentum and air over elevator to prevent nose over. If only I was good enough to make carrier landings on the rug I could eliminate ocaisional nose over on grass landings!
JDougherty, Erie is online now Find More Posts by JDougherty, Erie
Last edited by JDougherty, Erie; Aug 01, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Nov 2011
4,057 Posts
so is the 60mm CG the spot to go with?
thanks
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:40 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,782 Posts
Yes 60mm is correct. Just be careful if you are using a CG jig not to put dents in the foam. I have since glassed over the gear well and put a small patch of glass on top of the wing where I dented the foam during balancing. I have thick fingers so I always use the jig to be accurate.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Yes 60mm is correct. Just be careful if you are using a CG jig not to put dents in the foam. I have since glassed over the gear well and put a small patch of glass on top of the wing where I dented the foam during balancing. I have thick fingers so I always use the jig to be accurate.
Just another option... a "balancing lug/eye-bolt" permanently glued at the CG. Once it's in you can always shift load to balance where you want... Just fashion a small hook to balance, one handed.. GdLk, and flyflyfly
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:32 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Apr 2007
153 Posts
I like that idea ddog343! I'll have to try that.
Rhino5 is offline Find More Posts by Rhino5
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Dec 2010
102 Posts
Had some fun with my P-47 and my GoPro last weekend, caught a snapshot of a rough landing.
gwidgery is offline Find More Posts by gwidgery
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4,057 Posts
Love the hook idea!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Jul 2006
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
That was my 1st though until I checked and discovered they were all in place and secure......
Bring your motor over an we can do some surgery!

KFBB
Kungfubadboy is online now Find More Posts by Kungfubadboy