SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:50 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Maiden went well today! I went 6min on my 3300 packs, which only used 1400mah each. I figure 9min ought to use up about 2700, or could I push it longer?

Landing was great with the flaps. It comes in fast, but smooth as butter! I just need a wider runway! Taking off is surprisingly difficult. I hopped a curb at one point, but took the altitude and ran with it. It think it put the prop out of balance, as all the motor mount screws were loose after the day.

The stock prop is terrible on the power 25. The E300 prop worked well enough.

I didn't try too many tricks, as I was keeping to short flight times. But I did pull off the most beautiful hammerhead I've ever done, as well as som nice tight rolls.

I was a little worried I had programmed way to much in to begin with, but everything worked fantastically. I started with slow flaps, ail/rudder mix, differential ail, expo, etc. I figured I'd get something wrong, but everything feels right so far.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,103 Posts
Congrats jtaylor on your successful maiden.
I know what you mean about over-programming a plane, I have learned to keep it simple initially.

She is great flyer
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Hey guys. So with the stock setup on the P47, will i be able to use a 2200mah 20c lipo without hurting the battery?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:03 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,300 Posts
2200mah at 20c will give you 44amps. You can calc yourself how many amps can drain your bateries. 20c meand 20 times the battery "C"apacity. So 2200mah converted into amps is 2200/1000 = 2.2amps multipli this by the 20c you get 44amp
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Oh okay cool thanks. So the stock setup pulls around 30-35A right? (can't remember at the moment). So i think i should be fine with the 20c?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:18 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,300 Posts
Stock setup will pull 25-26amps. So you are fine with 20c 2200mah. enjoy your p47
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,139 Posts
Banged up my jug earlier this week after the motor (the new one with only 17 flights on it), crapped out forcing a very quick emergency landing. After touching down with a hung bomb preventing me from using flaps, she rolled into a curb before I could turn the thing. A friend & I were flying from an emtpy school parking lot that was HUGE! You'd think I coulda missed a friggin curb!

Didn't have room where I was at that point, nor time to line up a better approach. It was "land or crash...... NOW!", which wouldn't have been a big deal if I were over the grass area.

Damaged the right wing tip (already repaired), scuffed the cowling paint (also touched up), bent the right main gear (fixed that too!), but the motor is toast. I'll get with HH on that, but it was sounding "buzzy" on the last pass before it started suddenly losing power which forced an immediate landing. It now makes a very nasty sounding "grinding" noise. It's clear something came apart inside, but I can't get the grub screws out (without risking stripping them, which I guess really doesn't matter since it's shot), to look it over.

So I'm debating getting another stock motor, or an eqivalent aftermarket one. I'm not looking to make an F-16 out of the ole jug. It's stock speed with the Extra 300 prop was satisfying enough, that's really all I'm looking for. My brother found these two options (below). Are any of you using one of these two motors or have an idea if they'd be adequate? (One review mentions the PZ P-47, but not that he actually put it on THAT airframe. Just a speed comparison).

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb92-3020-950kv.html

Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Stock setup will pull 25-26amps. So you are fine with 20c 2200mah. enjoy your p47
Okay cool thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,419 Posts
Maidened my P-47 yesterday.
Flew it with no landing gear (except tail wheel). Stock motor, prop, Esc and a 3S-2100-25C TP LiPo.

Hand launch was easy, though it felt a little tail heavy in the air with the CofG at 60 mm. Not as stable in pitch, I thought as my Sea Fury. I still want to put some invasion stripes on the upper wing, to help with orientation at a distance. Maybe a yellow cowl, too.

I will fly it with hand launches, and no gear a bit more, play with the C of G then put in the E-flite retracts.

When I cut the power, to land in the long grass it settled pretty quickly..not much float like the Sea Fury. 6 minute flight with stock prop/motor/Esc took 655 mAh out of the 2100 LiPo. That was flown at 1/2 throttle, so power to spare.
My friend who threw the maiden toss, said it felt big to throw ( he has the PZ P-51)
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,341 Posts
What's everone's favorite CG for the plane?
thanks
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,964 Posts
I've read this whole thread and have been a Bolt pilot for quite awhile now, but was very surprised this weekend. My friend Tom just rebuilt his Bolt with all new airframe, ESC, and motor. No flaps or retracts.

What surprised me is that he put in a 870kv P-25 and a after market 30A ESC!
I assumed the P-25 would need more of a ESC and CG adjustment.

When I put my watt meter on it only pulled 22A WOT static. I forget the watts but I'm sure it was less then 270. Anyway, with normal CG (2100mah 30C 3S) it flew great. With the stock prop it pulls a nice strong vertical, way better then my stock motor P-47. I'm very impressed with the P-25 performance, and expected more draw on the system. I'm up for one now.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Moonbeam, you broke a magnet loose
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,419 Posts
Flew some more this evening
Did my first solo hand toss, it climbs out very sedately initially at WOT, then picks up speed. I pitch it up about 15 degrees as I toss it..

I moved the CofG forward a mm or two, seemed to fly better.
Not as nimble in the air as my Sea Fury though.
They did the second cut in our field, so now we have to line up to hit a winrow on landing...
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
975 Posts
Quote:
an eqivalent aftermarket one
I am not familiar with those, but I have flown the G15 in a PZ P47. It works great IF you get a good one. They are tempting at $27 or so, but cross your fingers when you buy them....
10AE is offline Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Banged up my jug earlier this week after the motor (the new one with only 17 flights on it), crapped out forcing a very quick emergency landing. After touching down with a hung bomb preventing me from using flaps, she rolled into a curb before I could turn the thing. A friend & I were flying from an emtpy school parking lot that was HUGE! You'd think I coulda missed a friggin curb!

Didn't have room where I was at that point, nor time to line up a better approach. It was "land or crash...... NOW!", which wouldn't have been a big deal if I were over the grass area.

Damaged the right wing tip (already repaired), scuffed the cowling paint (also touched up), bent the right main gear (fixed that too!), but the motor is toast. I'll get with HH on that, but it was sounding "buzzy" on the last pass before it started suddenly losing power which forced an immediate landing. It now makes a very nasty sounding "grinding" noise. It's clear something came apart inside, but I can't get the grub screws out (without risking stripping them, which I guess really doesn't matter since it's shot), to look it over.

So I'm debating getting another stock motor, or an eqivalent aftermarket one. I'm not looking to make an F-16 out of the ole jug. It's stock speed with the Extra 300 prop was satisfying enough, that's really all I'm looking for. My brother found these two options (below). Are any of you using one of these two motors or have an idea if they'd be adequate? (One review mentions the PZ P-47, but not that he actually put it on THAT airframe. Just a speed comparison).

I've been using a g15 with an extra 300 prop for a while. Pulls around 35 amps, and is only a little bit faster than the stock motor with the same prop. Another option if you wanted a brand name motor wouldbe an e-flite power 15. Both Motors are 950kv, same as stock. The G15 is available from Hobbyking.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks